Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My DeQuervain's tenosynovitis is acting up. I need to stop using my right hand until the inflammation goes down. (Really can't picture that happening). But this can get so bad I can't lift anything and the pain is constant. Really don't need this happening right now. :barnie

Too much pruning. And raking. And pitchforking. Etc.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Oh no, that sucks :hugs I hope it will get better for you soon! Try and rest it as much as possible (difficult I know).

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I rested yesterday and was feeling pretty good. Until I had to drive to take DS11 to his class and run errands. Ouch! Was "lazy" and rested all evening, slept in late so I wouldn't use it. Feels pretty good right now, but I need to keep laying low. I might get through this relatively quickly if I can keep on not using it for a few more days.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have been cleaning today. DS11 has been doing a lot of "gofer" work for me, so it hasn't been too bad. I'm cleaning up things like
  • Clutter in car console
  • Papers in my purse
  • A cabinet of kids' school, educational stuff and my office type stuff
  • Under my bed
  • Papers to file
  • Piles and baskets of random stuff all jumbled together
  • Tops of dressers that collect clutter
It's all tedious an annoying, but everyday housekeeping and child entertaining will be easier with these "hot spot" areas resolved.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's the kind of stuff I need to catch up on....I've been doing garden chores every spare minute for awhile now! I have a grand here t his weekend - maybe I should give him some chores, lol!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I got more flats for planting in. I started 7 flats tonight. Cauliflower and more peppers (oops, a month late!), hollyhock, and columbine.

Our well pump stopped working last night. Well company came out, pulled the pump out and put a new one in. There's something wrong with the seal for the part where it goes into the house. They made a temporary fix and we need a new well. Silver lining is that a new well would be in a different location - and that means we could build an attached garage onto our house. We would love to have a garage with our snowy and icy winters! We're also planning to build in a cold storage / root cellar room. :love

A mudjacking contractor looked at our barn today. It's not a mudjacking problem. The floor and wall are on separate footings. We need to contact a masonry contractor to get a quote for jacking up the upper floor of the barn, removing the existing cement block wall and footing, replace the wall and footing. And if that can be done successfully, the barn needs a new roof, gutters, and probably drain tile on one side to protect the new footings. :th

We're also waiting for a contractor to give us an estimate for a radon abatement system in our basement.

When it rains, it pours? :old

We didn't do much today, because of the well pump issue. But we enjoyed the lovely weather! High temp was 81, not humid (!!), windy, and partly cloudy. :love. Tonight's low is mild enough I don't need to bring seedlings in overnight! Which is good, because I don't have enough places indoors to put all the trays I planted. :oops:

DH thinks my planting is excessive. I think it's not nearly enough. :lol:

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm just catching up with your last month or so of posts. Even down here in northern Alabama, the spring is late coming. We had frost on the roofs again yesterday morning, but it's finally getting consistently warm enough to start planting here (I think)...

I really feel for you with DS 11 and school! That battle is exhausting, and it spills over into the household stuff. Or maybe it's the other way around. I don't know anymore. But I've been there with our son too. And intelligence and maturity don't always go hand in hand. With our son, the work was always too easy so like your son, he wouldn't finish everything. Classic underachiever! And oh soooo frustrating! He could spit it all out back to them on semester exams months later, and get a 97% on the test without studying even a little bit, but fail that same class because he didn't do enough "homework". In our case, throw on chronic sinus issues, sleep apnea, chronic kidney and liver issues, blood pressure problems, and fatigue, and his incentive to do homework was lower than ever. He was exhausted all the time, was throwing up most days, but knowing the material wasn't enough. His grades dropped and pretty soon he had the reputation of being stupid. It didn't take long for other kids to drop him as a friend.
One size definitely does not fit all when it comes to school. I've fought that battle for years, but you've done oh. so. much. better. at it than I have! School became a constant battleground for my son, but never in an openly defiant way. More like a quiet desperation, and a dying inside. He finally just quit trying even though he kept attending. Every teacher he's ever had felt he could have been at the top of his class. He was quiet, respectful, and always knew the answers. He often helped other kids understand the material. And by the end he started failing more classes than he was passing. (I can't even find a good emoji to express that..):idunno

I can't even give you good advice on the school stuff. :(Even looking back, I don't know what we would have or could have done differently. We didn't have the money for a more individualized school. And homeschooling just was not an option. Who knew that parenting the super smart kids would be sooo hard?? Soooo no advice, but I can say that we've been there too, and I can feel your pain and frustration. :hugs

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Are there charter schools in either of your states? We have some awesome charter schools. If I wasn't homeschooling I would be aiming to get my kiddo in one.

That sounds like a lot of expensive problems! Yikes!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Tortoise, how much would it cost to rebuild the barn, or get a new one? That sounds like a huge hassle, getting the existing one fixed. Yay on the attached garage and cold storage/cellar room though! Those would be awesome additions! :thumbsup