Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
@NH Homesteader , only online virtual charters near me. That doesn't work for DS11. Maybe if we started with it, but it's a definite no-go now.

@sumi , no idea on the barn. I'm assuming it will cost almost as much or more to fix rather tha rebuild. :(

I did garden work yesterday and had sore tendons today. I ran errands and went clothes shopping at Goodwill. Would have been fun if it wasn't close to an hour of DS2 tantrumming! :eek: I don't know how I kept my cool, it was not fun. I have some great summer additions to my wardrobe. I'm a different size this year than last, which is my favorite excuse to go shopping. :gig

I caught up on housework this evening. I plan to spend a lot of time in the garden tomorrow.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Today marks 4 years on the farm. :love so much change in our family! So much struggle with my health. But it's starting to all look really good for the future. I'm ready to make my mark on this farm and hopefully improve it.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Happy Farmversary! Lol that's a ridiculous word. Anyway.... Things are looking up for a great next year for you!!

Bummer on the charter schools. Bet he'd love the one near me. Move to NH? Lol

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Wow, time flies doesn't it? Here's to the nest 4 years and hope they will be wonderful for you! :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I rescued a sad, drowning, rotting African Violet at the grocery store. Took cuttings of the big leaves and maybe the crown will survive? African Violet is on my list of plants I want to propagate and sell. I may go back and buy the last 2 if they're still there and don't have crown rot yet. Price was right!

I've been having trouble with holiday cactus cuttings. Low rate of rooting. I got expert advice today and am trying 2 different methods. I have 80 - 100 fresh cuttings started. Plus maybe 20 barely rooted and 7 potted and ready to sell next month. I bought some spring/Easter cactus cuttings in different colors than what I have now, and will buy Christmas cactus (legit Christmas cactus, not the "Thanksgiving" cactus sold in stores under the name Christmas cactus - different species). I found the Christmas cactus seller on Craigslist last year but it was too cold to ship. Silver lining: they're rooted now so I can't screw it up! :D

I started lettuces and spinach for microgreens for farmer's market in 4 weeks. Also more hollyhocks. :gig And put a hook on the deck for a hanging basket. I planted trailing nasturtiums in it. I hope they grow and are pretty!

Some of my dwarf sunflowers are ready for potting to sell for a fundraiser. A teenager was murdered by her stepfather last year. She loved sunflowers, so they're her symbol. A scholarship fund has been started in her honor, thus, fundraising. I plan to plant sunflowers at the dog park (she was a huge dog lover!) also. I would love for sunflowers to be a symbol against domestic violence in our community.

It's DS2's birthday, so from now on, I'll be referring to him as DS3. :) My MIL invited herself over for cake, etc, this evening. I will be gone at a fishing class. Just as well, nothing like an overdoting grandma to make the kids go wild. :barnie DS3 isn't so bad (yet). He isn't exposed to much advertising and he's just sweet and innocent. Overdoting fuels DS11's underachieving, so that's frustrating!! I'm staying in and cleaning. Gotta run a couple errands - need potting soil for the sunflowers, pick up holds at the library, see if the grocery store has those last 2 African Violets.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
You are doing amazing with the plants! You remind me of when I grew succulents for selling. Patience is needed, but they are pretty forgiving.

I plan to plants some sunflowers soon as well… I'll keep that poor girl in mind when I do.

Early happy b-day for DS2/3 :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
How did you get on with selling succulents? They were on my list of plants to propagate, but mine went leggy over winter. I don't think they'll do well in my house. :(

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How to make your own rooting solution; cut some willow twigs in small pieces, about 1/2" long. Soak in water for 3 days, strain, discard willow twigs. Use the water to root plants in, or to water plant starts already in soil.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Do you know how/way the willow "tea" works?! I'm very curious! It is new to me! Any type of willow?

Latest posts