Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well just because it's being taught doesn't mean anyone's learning I suppose. Or retaining the information. Is your school district teaching to common core? It seems so random here, a lot aren't and a lot say they are but not so much... It's very hated here. Mostly by people who have never read the standards. They also all correlate the new style of math instruction with common core. They're not the same thing!

OK sorry off my rant now, lol.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We're in a Common Core aligned district. No "new math" here. I think the parents would revolt! :gig. The elementary school tried not teaching spelling. Hah! That didn't last long. Parents complained like crazy and taught their kids spelling at home. About 5 years earlier they tried not drilling math facts. Kids got into high school and didn't know basic addition facts or the times table - that didn't go over well with parents either. Those kids were taught "new math" too. The kids I worked with (middle school age) left me the impression that "new math" just gave more opportunities to make mistakes (especially when counting on fingers because one doesn't have addition memorized).

I like the math standards. I don't like how social studies and science are addressed in elementary grades. I don't like how difficult it is for a non-educator to interpret language arts standards. There's no way for a parent to read the English standards and be able to tell if their child reads or writes at 5th grade level versus 4th.

I don't mind ranting. Except my BIL ranting on politics because he fails to use logic. I don't mind a conversation with people who disagree (I rather much enjoy it)... unless they're spewing misinformation and emotions. Uh, that's not a conversation anymore. Logic, facts, opinions - we can learn from each other.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ah yeah see I like the English standards, but I originally went to school for English education so I get where they're coming from, even if it is half nonsense.

The new math is awful for kids with learning disabilities. So confusing!! And teachers got mad when I wanted to teach kids the old way.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
In that case, any suggestions for preK phonics? DS3 can recognize some sight words. He knows alphabet and letter sounds. He doesn't do blends yet. The preK things I am finding are all about tracing letters. He's not there yet on fine motor skills. How do I interest/occupy him? He loves letters and words. He loves SuperWhy apps. Sometimes Little Writer app. Sometimes he'll have patience for PreK tracing workbook pages. I feel like I'm missing something, and my intuition says he could learn more phonics.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My son in law is a 5th grade English teacher. He is going to school to become a principle. We are in a REAL good school district. So good, that real estate prices are outrageous, stupid high because people want their kids in this school district. It's crazy.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My mom gave me some of her poorly-cared-for houseplants a few years ago. Most of them have died or been re-homed. They came with fungus gnats, and I've had lingering minor infestation ever since. I'm getting serious about selling plants and propagation, so I can't tolerate them any more.

I have been repotting, bleaching pots, and treating soil/roots with hydrogen peroxide. There's a spider eating fungus gnats in my terrarium and potato baits for larvae. I'm concerned about using hydrogen peroxide on cuttings. (And I ran out of it).

I forgot about forcing a holiday cactus to bloom for the county fair. Whoops. I'm only .... 3 months behind schedule. I might be able to get it to bud. I'm giving it a try. Even if I don't enter it this year, I will learn from the experience of trying to force it to bloom in summer.

Propagation update: I have approximately 160 holiday cactus cuttings. They're doing well since putting them in terarrium (20 gallon fish tank and stand picked up free from someone's trash). I lost some African violet leaves to rot already. Hoping the rest hang in there.

Garden update: Risk of frost tonight. I brought my flats of seedlings inside. I have plants on the dining table, on the kitchen counters, in the kitchen sink, on my laundry machines, on top of the fridge.... I managed to clear plants off the table for supper though. I think DH is getting annoyed. These are supposed to be in my new greenhouse.... the plastic ripped enough it's not functional. Whatever, I'll tough it out. Hopefully this is the last chilly night. 80 degrees on Monday. Tuesday is our average last frost date. I may get to transplanting some things out of here!

No news on incubator. I've been neglecting it mostly and the temperature has not been steady. I don't really care much if they don't hatch! Less work for me to do! :p

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Catching up here now… I don't know the schooling system in the US, so much of what you guys are talking about is unfamiliar for me, but it does sound like your son needs to be taught in a better and different environment, maybe home schooled. Go with your intuition! His your son, you know him better than the school that goes through masses of children year after year and probably don't pay attention, or bother too much anymore with anyone that doesn't fit the mold.

I had to smile, hearing about your plants. Sounds like you are living in a green house! lol But it's good! Hopefully the weather will get better for you soon and maybe this will inspire DH to get the greenhouse repaired for you ;)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Big garden day for me! Almost all the permanent beds are marked out - 5 left to go. I transplanted a row of tomatoes, 3 rows (1 bed) of cabbage. DH says the cabbage are too close together, but IDK. It's supposed to be intensive planting. And my transplants don't look very good. I may be "thinning" them. a.k.a. they might die off.

DH put in the rest of the pea fence for me and fence posts to trellis 3 rows of tomatoes. He ran out of fence posts and I have 3 more rows of tomatoes left. (not sure what I'm going to do about that!)

I weeded. Just worked on digging out quack grass. That stuff is endless! I need to hoe tomorrow! :eek: We might go fishing for Mother's Day. Well, DH and kids are probably going fishing and I will go if I have enough done in the garden. Going fishing from DH's aunt's dock in town, with MIL and nieces and nephew.

Feeling kinda meh about that. MIL has been stressing me out since DS3 was born. Before that the stress was limited to Christmas, but now it's too much, too often. Overgifting wouldn't be so bad except DH wants to keep everything ever received as a gift. He didn't make a stink over me returning 1/2 DS3's birthday gifts from her to the store, thankfully. I'll put that money in the bank and someday when he's struggling and bored (like in February), we'll go shopping or I'll order something for him.

DS11 tried his summer schedule today. I designed it so his old behavior tricks won't work - or at least won't be comfortable. The deal is 45 minutes of school, then 15 minutes of trumpet practice. If he does those focused, with self-control, etc, then 45 minutes of project/reading/craft time and 15 minutes of music play time. If he doesn't do the schoolwork, then CHORES for the rest of the day (or for 1 hour if I schedule to repeat the pattern 3x in the day). Well, he thought reading DS3's preK magazine was better than doing math today, so we went out to the garden and he did (or didn't do) garden work until dark. Then come back in and finish that 45 minutes of math. Funny how he's not having a problem focusing on the math now. :D I hope his behavior changes. He is exhausting.