Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I got about 2 hours of not-too-shabby today before going back to bed. Whoops. I am starting to feel a bit better after resting all afternoon. I hope to get a little work done before bedtime.

I lost a friend today. Um... Mixed feelings on this one. She wanted my opinion on a situation involving her dog, and the wasn't a way to sugarcoat it. There have been some unfortunate events beyond her control, but this one was human error. She lost her temper. I have expected that would happen for months and also had to wait until she was mentally stable to not end up hospitalized over it too. Dog might end up euthanized for her mistake, IDK. The situation makes me worry for DS14. He has a lot of similar diagnoses, traits, and behavior patterns. The details of the story illustrate how "following directions" is a critical life skill, followed by "accepting constructive criticism (especially when you've requested it)." Not butthurt about the friendship or her tantrum. It's a relief, even if bittersweet.

I have a couple more projects rolling in.
  • Making head harness for 4-H dog project. It's just silly to spend $20 each on them. I won't know exact cost until I measure out all the sizes, but I'm confident they will cost under $5. I'm in a low-income area. Last time I checked, 50% of families are eligible for free/reduced lunch program. It makes no sense to me to pay extra for such a simple device. I have been wanting to make head harnesses for ages, but it's only economical in 20 or 50 quantity. I am waiting for one package with a couple components and can start making these soon.
  • I had to delay volunteering at the animal shelter due to COVID homeschooling, but that's around the corner when DS6 goes back to school. I haven't done orientation yet and I have no idea how the shelter can best use training help, but I'm excited to teach and learn more.
  • I started a training plan for my dog for while his fluoxetine is washing out. he should gain appetite and interest in training, so I'm transitioning him back to scheduled feeding to maximize training opportunity and fix some other daily routine related problems DS14 created.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What's the old saying? "Friends come into your life for a season, a reason, or a lifetime and it's up to you to figure out which one it is." Something along those lines.

Sounds like you've got a lot on your plate - as usual!

Pictures of the head harnesses when you complete one - please!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What's the old saying? "Friends come into your life for a season, a reason, or a lifetime and it's up to you to figure out which one it is." Something along those lines.

Sounds like you've got a lot on your plate - as usual!

Pictures of the head harnesses when you complete one - please!

perhaps the other person will figure it out and and later on reconnect if that is acceptable to you (perhaps apologize too but i never expect that). anyways, i hope so as it is no fun to lose a friend. unfortunately i have had to also leave a friend because i could not tolerate their very nasty temper and how they treated other people. after you give someone some tries and mention that they need professional help and they don't do anything about it - well after doing that i feel like an accessory to criminal or near criminal behavior and also perhaps even enabling and that's just not me. i have a hard enough time with the stuff in my own family let alone friends that fits this kind of line... *sigh* anyways, i do hope it does get improved somehow by your actions and attempt to give feedback.

for myself, i'll always appreciate the honest friend over someone who tries to sugar coat something, especially after i've asked for feedback.

i also worry for your DS14 too since it is at such a distance and i don't know how it works, but i can't also tell how much of it might be teenage male BS that has to be worked through and how much is actual behavioral problems that might be helped in other ways (counseling outside the family probably a good idea if he can trust anyone to talk to - at the school we had a counselor and that helped me a lot that i could talk to him - the guy probably saved my life and became a friend for many years after).

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I may be wrong here, but for your next dog, what about a different breed? I’ve had two half Great Danes, half Labrador dogs now. Current one is 4 years old. They seem to have more health and attitude problems. You have pure Danes and they both have health problems. Plus, they are short lived. After talking to other people who love their Great Danes, it seems like for the breed, they have a lot of health problems.

I loved my first one, I love this one, but I won’t have another one.

Is there another breed that could do what you need, be more receptive to training and have a longer, healthier life?

Hope I haven’t opened up a can of worms!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know @tortoise needs a big dog that can support her weight… unfortunately there are only so many breeds that are large and strong enough, and most of them have the same health issues as Danes. Saint Bernard maybe? They’re not as bad as some of the other giant breeds…

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I need a short-haired dog at least 32" inches tall at the shoulder, that is not a livestock guardian breed, not a sighthound, and not brachycephalic. That leaves me with mastiff and great dane. I prefer great dane temperament and their body shape is better. They can fit into a smaller space. I'm open to mix breeds, but they usually end up too short.

I have a soft spot for terriers, but I don't think I'll have energy to live with one. :gig

However, there isn't a rule that I can't have a pet dog in addition to a service dog... ;)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I know @tortoise needs a big dog that can support her weight… unfortunately there are only so many breeds that are large and strong enough, and most of them have the same health issues as Danes. Saint Bernard maybe? They’re not as bad as some of the other giant breeds…
I forgot smooth coated St Bernard on my list. I'm not against them, I just really have a soft spot for danes now.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm getting my dog on a schedule. It's already paying off. He is voluntarily participating in training sessions for low-value food rewards. I'm happy! We're just messing around with a pivot pad to see if I can get some pretty obedience behaviors out of him. He's getting bored, I need to decide something else to train. I've been working on my treat-handling technique to match it to the 4-H curriculum I've been writing.

Speaking of that, I finally finished the first round of revisions. They are ready for the pilot season and for the first round of curriculum development review. Feels really good to get that one off my to-do list!

I started developing trick class curriculum. I'm working on a pre-pilot year. Get some fun materials out there and see what sticks. I decided what activities to use for our scheduled seminar and started the station signs and handouts.

Amazing what I can do when my family is asleep... :gig