Dealing with discouragement

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have been waiting for 3 YEARS, paying to feed a lot of goats, and finally this year I am going to have kids (and, more importantly, milk!) I had a big hit last year when my buckling never grew (I was eventually told he likely had a genetic issue), and I missed a whole year of breeding. So setbacks. Yeah... They happen. But what do you do? The best you can with what you have. :)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I guess you could sum it up with one word.

Mettle

That, too. Survival for sure.

Thinking about this, I should point out....this was about 90 - 100 yrs back. :ep I'm 72 now, mom was 21 when I was born, she was a middle child. All children had to help garden, can, etc.

WOW that math is sure an eye opener :lol: :lol: Time flies.

:thumbsup Good thoughts.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That, too. Survival for sure.

Thinking about this, I should point out....this was about 90 - 100 yrs back. :ep I'm 72 now, mom was 21 when I was born, she was a middle child. All children had to help garden, can, etc.

WOW that math is sure an eye opener :lol: :lol: Time flies.

:thumbsup Good thoughts.

We are lucky to be able to try what they did to survive as a hobby with the grocery store as a safety net.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think I may be the opposite... I get depressed when I don't have anything to do. The more irons I got in the fire the happier I am.

What's that old saying... "Idle time is devil's time" holds true for me. I get in enough trouble all by myself, I don't need the devil giving me any more ideas... If I'm not running around like a one legged man in a ass kicking contest - then I'm simply not happy.

You just described me! I always have so many things going on, so many projects started, it drives my husband nuts.....after 22 years (on Valentine's Day) You'd think he'd be used to it. :lol: Sometimes, I even finish one! ;)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Calista, hugs for your DH, I cannot imagine :hugs

Beekissed, I make my bed as soon as I feel up to it in the mornings. It bugs me so when it's unmade! Then I think of something to do that has to get done, even when I don't feel much like it. Having that task completed usually spurs me on to get going with another, even if I don't complete it. I found once you get going with something it gets easier to get it done, it's just the start.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@mythreesons290322 , it sounds like you'll fit right in here! I like the sound of your edible/medicinal garden! I also have fruit trees and berry bushes, and a regular garden (adding more raised beds this year), and free range chickens. And we've got lots of medical stuff going on here too. Welcome to the group! What are you growing in your medicinal/edible garden?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I too, feel very overwhelmed with daily tasks of dealing with a adult son that was born super intelligent but lacks all common sense, doesn’t drive at 25 years old because frankly I don’t trust his judgement and he would be on our insurance, a legally blind brother whom lately keeps getting sick, and my 86 yr old MIL who just moved in 6-weeks ago with us in our very small house that has dementia and is mostly blind..

Oh,yea my life feels like it’s caving in right now.

However, I just keep myself thinking that spring is around the corner and soon I will be seeing all my flowers that I planted last fall, watching everything bud out, wondering if my fruit trees and berry bushes will give me a good abundance of fruit, adding new raised beds to expand my garden...walking my edible/medicinal gardens..watching my chickens do their peck and scratch dance as I free range...I have to focus on what gives me the most pleasure to keep me from sinking into a deep dark hole...

Hugs to all that want one or need one.

My mom had a stroke at 88 and moved in with us. She died at 92, she got so bad that I had to make that awful decision that nobody wants to make. Sigh.... Big hugs to you and know that you are not alone in this journey. I quit my job to care for my mother. I expanded the chicken coop, got more chickens and worked in my garden. Small precious moments of sanity...

mythreesons290322

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MMD~ I’m in love with all you have growing! Living in the south opens so many doors to what you can grow and having two growing seasons is my dream.

I grow the echinacea but my medicinal one died..lI love love love Cheyenne sprit echinacea it’s colors are just so beautiful..I saved the seed from them last year and I’m experimenting germinating them by the paper towel method..I’m excited to say that so far over 50 seeds have germinated with more germinating every few days.

I grow almost all my vegetable,herbs and some flowers from seed. I never knew until a few years ago that I was gifted like my mother to be able to grow all kinds of plants.

I bought feverfew seeds, purple echinacea that I just planted in soil and the paper towel method and some of those seeds germinated..I’m seriously concidering starting a little nursery and sell my plants in front of my house.