Dealing with discouragement

mythreesons290322

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
@mythreesons290322 , it sounds like you'll fit right in here! I like the sound of your edible/medicinal garden! I also have fruit trees and berry bushes, and a regular garden (adding more raised beds this year), and free range chickens. And we've got lots of medical stuff going on here too. Welcome to the group! What are you growing in your medicinal/edible garden?

Thank you !

I have been on this journey of adding edible perennial foods over the past 9-years and medicinal 5-years so when I post it might seem overwhelming but this is my passion.

Peach,apple,sour cherry,sweet cherry,plum,pear,mulberry,juneberry (29 in total.
Raspberry,blackberry,blueberry,gooseberry,currants,chokecherry bushes (75 plus bushes.
Grape vines, rhubarb,walking onions, sunchokes,strawberries,asparagus.
Herb and mint gardens.

Medicinal is elderberry, catmint,catnip,bee Balm,lavender,borage,st John’s wart,valarian,oregano,sage,rose hips,comfrey,raspberry & blackberry leaves.

Wild on my property is dandelion that I use to make wine and salve, nettles for pesto, blackcap for jam,fiddleheads to eat,ramps to eat,chicken of the woods mushrooms and morell, pine trees needles can be used for tea, maple trees, sycamore and birch trees for syrup,lambs ears used it for toilet paper but wasn’t very absorbing :(, wild onion and garlic for food.

Just recently learned that muellin,plantain,self heal all grow on my lawn.

This year I’m adding to my perennial gardens marshmallow root, feverfew,licorice root,yarrow(mine died),skullcap,witch hazel,red rose bush and more lavender.

I learned to make a all natural muscle relaxer tincture of valarian root and vodka that is amazing stuff! And also growing quadruple cayenne peppers that I will ground into powder for a muscle rub plus my homemade hot sauce . Same for the calendula that I saved seed from so I can dehydrate the flower heads among others for my homemade skin products as they are awesome for skin health.

Would love to hear what you grow also.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh and I forgot... Too many people and too many rules also. I'm happy now that my closest neighbor is with in shouting distance if he's listening real hard. And I don't have the mayor ringing the doorbell telling me I'm violating city ordinances all the time. Yep... Life is good now.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Glad we could help, but that's what we're here for, to help and encourage each other, in-between sharing tips and triumphs and disappointments. Homesteading life is difficult at times, as you see, but so very rewarding too, as you see! You have done very well, in spite of the set backs and losses, you have food you grew yourself, you are saving money and your place is taking shape and looking good. I'm looking forward to see what you're going to be doing, growing, and producing in time to come :)

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Now you need a pig..... jus’ sayin’...

Yep. And bees! But a few other things come first like im gonna need a $300 fuel pump for my truck. :(
Looks like im driving the company truck home this week.

On a higher note i harvested a bushel of those green beans today and theres another hlf bushel on the vines going to seed! Its gonna be a late night

GettysburgGarden

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wisdom can't be taught.
https://intellectualfroglegs.com/
This is an interesting website focused on "intellectual froglegs" or common sense, it is a bit right wing or Trump supporting, however Dan made an interesting comment: he said except for calling the fire department he gets all the help he needs from government. Indeed wisdom cannot be taught.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Stay positive… Keep doing your best and enjoy every little bit of the results of what you got done. It's not easy doing things our way, it's a hard life sometimes and getting things "perfect" or reaching goals seems impossible at times, but the things we DO manage to get done is oh so rewarding :)

If those seedlings don't turn out great, plant a few more. The grow window for most things is quite forgiving and so are plants ;) Don't ask me how I know that! If I remember correctly you did great last year with your garden, so I'm quietly optimistic that this year is going to be even better.