Dealing with discouragement

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Those green beans will not stop until a hard frost kills them. My husband loves them.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Those green beans will not stop until a hard frost kills them. My husband loves them.

You wernt lying about them putting some food in the cabinet! I think im done with all the other pole beans. No need.

I planted some of the butterbeans last week. They are up. Idk if i will get a harvest before the frost but i wanted to try.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You wernt lying about them putting some food in the cabinet! I think im done with all the other pole beans. No need.

I planted some of the butterbeans last week. They are up. Idk if i will get a harvest before the frost but i wanted to try.

Butter beans are delicious! Story... When I lived in North Carolina the town mechanic went by the name Butter Bean. If you remember Andy Griffith they had goober well we had Butter Bean. He was tounge tied plus he had one heck of an southern accent. My wife nor my kids or most anyone I knew couldn't understand him when he talked to them. But I had an uncle who was tounge tied also so I could have a conversation with him and I understood him just fine. Plus Butter Bean was like one of the most generous men i've ever met. He didnt make it past the 7 grade but he was one heck of a mechanic. So what this story all about anyways? Heck if I know but when you said you planted butter beans it's what came to mind. I guess it's a story about overcoming obsticles dispite ones short comings. By the way Butter Bean used to call me the richest man in town. Not because I had a barrel full of money, but because I raised 11 kids with the same wife. Now if that ain't someone who doesn't have their head in the right place, I don't know who does.

Your doing great man keep it up... A wise man once told me if your not making mistakes your not doing anything. Yep you guessed it that wise man was Butter Bean.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I liked your Butter Bean story!

I have several Butter Bean stories. Like I said he was perhaps the most generous man I ever met. I kid you not he drove 3 1/2 hours in his tow truck to come rescue me. When he finally got there he said turn the key, I did and he listened under the hood. He went to his truck garbbed a couple of tools and a coil pack and in 5 minutes my truck was running like a top again. I asked him what do I owe you butter Bean? He said friends are friends and friends don't pay. I felt absolutely horrible about that... I mean butter Bean drove 7 hours round trip because I was broke down, put a new part on my truck and refused any money at all. So being a friend, I worked in his garage for 2 Saturday's for free because he wouldn't take any money from me, nor would I take any from him for working for him. Butter Bean being the wise man he is told me " I think you already know this but nothing will destroy a friendship faster than money". He is so right about that and yes I knew already but not to the level he taught me about how to be generous! I really wish there were more Butter Beans in the world.

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
He sounds like an amazing, wise man!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You don't need a college education to be wise (in fact, sometimes I wonder if it hampers things?)

I have a college education and all I can say is it didn't teach me a damned thing that is important in life. But mine is an electronics engineering degree, which I've forgotten most of anyways. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited: