Dealing with discouragement

mythreesons290322

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed~ thanks for that information.

I’m just getting seriously into the medicinal plants.. I grow my elderberry for my cold and flu medicine, comfrey salve and dandelion salve is the only things I’ve done so far.

I’ve been reading blogs,bought many books and watching YouTube videos to learn as much as I can. There is so many things to learn.. Im truly excited to go the all natural route..and void the clutter of having so many different products in my cabinets.

I would love to hear what others make for their medicinal use.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't want anyone here to think that the reason they may not succeed in a self-sufficient endeavour is simply because they're not tough enough!!

I love this statement!

Got alot going on right now so i figured id read back threw this thread. Failures are to be expected i guess. But what really counts is if you regroup and try again! Thats where the rubber meets the road.

So its been a trying year. Couple late frosts, record heat, drought and now im betting on an early, hard winter.

We haven't put up as much food as id like. But its much more than last year and we aint done yet. Its been a rough couple weeks. Had some unexpected expenses pop up that really hindered progress. Still need to make some changes to the rabbitry and get it back up and going. And we have several started projects along with numerous projects in planning. But for now we have plenty of rabbit, chicken and a little bit of venison in the freezer. We have a full pantry and bedroom closet and we have gone from spending $600 a month at the grocery store for the 6 of us to $250 and we could back that down more if we wanted.

Tomorrow is going to be a busy day for sure. Just like today was. Still have alot of honesteading we need done this weekend and my truck decided to break down today so ill be working on that as well.

I need to finish mowing the place, do ALOT of sheet mulching/woodchip hauling in the orchard, fix the truck, clean up the shed, and plant more crops for fall. We will see just how much gets done.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
THANKS to all of you guys for your words of encouragement this spring. It was very helpful!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The list of things to do does seem to be never-ending, doesn't it?
Despite late frosts, record heat, and drought, you've persevered through it all. And you've done way better than we have this year stocking the pantry and freezer. And not only do you have a lot of food stocked up, but it's healthier too, and the kids are learning tons of every day practical skills. Good job, CR!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think it is great that we can all bounce our disappointment off one another. Often things seem overwhelming but, when we find we can usually work through, it helps. Plus accept that not everything will get done, work out well, etc.

You have had some real disappointments, mainly losing all your rabbits. Plants, they will grow, easy to reseed. The livestock always leave us financial and emotional loss. There is always quilt -- I know this & have had to learn to deal with it, which is not always easy.

In spite of it all -- you seem to have done well ! Certainly better than a lot of us. Some years we do not reach our goals. Other years we exceed them. This has been a less than great year for many -- weather has been the pits for most.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Glad we could help, but that's what we're here for, to help and encourage each other, in-between sharing tips and triumphs and disappointments. Homesteading life is difficult at times, as you see, but so very rewarding too, as you see! You have done very well, in spite of the set backs and losses, you have food you grew yourself, you are saving money and your place is taking shape and looking good. I'm looking forward to see what you're going to be doing, growing, and producing in time to come :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
$350 a month is darn good savings on groceries. You and your wife have worked hard, staying up late to can the food that y’all have produced. Yeah, it’s been a tough year, but it didn’t stop you.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Now you need a pig..... jus’ sayin’...

Yep. And bees! But a few other things come first like im gonna need a $300 fuel pump for my truck. :(
Looks like im driving the company truck home this week.

On a higher note i harvested a bushel of those green beans today and theres another hlf bushel on the vines going to seed! Its gonna be a late night