Dealing with MIL during FIL ALZ

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sounds like incompetence in the ER. That, along with the initial fall to start with. I get that, elderly folks fall, no matter where they are living. But, to go to the ER, get a complete exam, and have them miss that hip fx.... Makes you wonder if he was treated by the scarecrow of Wizard of Oz fame.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would be right there with your wife - someone would hear about it. So sorry to hear that this is going on. Poor guy.

Our pool pump stopped working after 3 days - total of 6 hours of run-time. DH has the manuals somewhere, won't tell me where. There is a couple of things he wants to try before calling the manufacturer. If this last thing fails, I will get the go-ahead to call. Now, I start out nice, but make a stupid comment and I will be all over it.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm so sorry that your FIL has had to suffer such incompetence. His pain and suffering, not theirs, how sad that he has to go through this. I hope the surgery is successful and he improves.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So sorry he (and your family) are going through all this. Both of my folks had air mattresses that had a wave motion to help prevent and treat bedsores.

I hate to bring this up - but would he qualify for hospice care? I'm not sure how it works with nursing homes - but they followed my folks into the assisted living facility and were wonderful to both of my parents. They were the ones responsible for acquiring the mattresses (and lot of other benefits) for my folks.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So sorry he (and your family) are going through all this. Both of my folks had air mattresses that had a wave motion to help prevent and treat bedsores.

I hate to bring this up - but would he qualify for hospice care? I'm not sure how it works with nursing homes - but they followed my folks into the assisted living facility and were wonderful to both of my parents. They were the ones responsible for acquiring the mattresses (and lot of other benefits) for my folks.

He's going back to the nursing home today for non intensive physical therapy, to see if they can get him up and walking again.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My paternal grandfather told me several times that refused to be sick. He said he would die in his sleep or all at once. He was shaving one morning and dropped dead. He was 76. Life and death would be so much better if we all could do the same.

I pray for the best for your FIL.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just got back from visiting my FIL. I'm officially very sad now,) :( He's basically a zombie and hasn't walked or stood since crushing his hip ball joint. If you can get his attention, he'll answer a question if you repeat it multiple times but with only one word "yeah" and that's it, he can't even say no anymore. So sad he is down to just one word in his vocabulary. His speech and awareness has taken a drastic turn for the worse. And to top it off his cancer has returned and they think it's spread to his brain. The doctors are not very optimistic.

On a even sadder note... My son who is an attorney, is suing the nursing home on behalf of my mother in law for neglect. I'm not going into details here but after reviewing the daily reports and medical records he felt it was more than justified. It won't help my FIL get any better but it will help my MIL with financials of having my FILs hip ball joint replaced.

I know what your thinking... Yes I have a son who is an attorney, but this is the first lawsuit that involves the family. We are not sue happy... Far from it, that's why it's truly sad that it has come down to this :( my son is pretty pissed, I pity the nursing home. Because he can be a real a hole when he has to be and this is personal.

All I can say is ALZ sucks, I wouldn't wish it on anybody. They don't know the cause, there is no cure. ALZ keeps taking a little at a time and never gives any of it back. ALZ is truly heartbreaking, I hate ALZ.

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know what your thinking... Yes I have a son who is an attorney, but this is the first lawsuit that involves the family. We are not sue happy... Far from it, that's why it's truly sad that it has come down to this :( my son is pretty pissed, I pity the nursing home. Because he can be a real a hole when he has to be and this is personal.
I agree with your son.