Dealing with MIL during FIL ALZ

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
:hugs You're alright. That would make me mad too.

You did a fantastic job on the ramp and it looks neat and functional and it would be a huge help for them.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I agree with Sumi. PLUS -- your rant!

My question (don't mean to annoy you with it) Where was the son who got all the tools??? He couldn't do the job or at least help? Your DW isn't thinking about that? :he

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My question (don't mean to annoy you with it) Where was the son who got all the tools???
My first thought too...

Goes to prove the old adage that "no good deed goes unpunished." :(

You did a great thing helping them. It's a shame that MIL forgot to have an attitude of gratitude....

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That is a fine looking ramp. I know what you mean about finally getting fed up and getting angry. You take and take and take, then one day, that's it. My ex-MIL was such a %itch that at her funeral a few months ago, only her daughter, daughter's son and my son were the only ones who sincerely grieved for the Ugly Witch. Everyone else knew that the flowery words from the preacher was all a pack of lies. The preacher just didn't know any better.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I agree with Sumi. PLUS -- your rant!

My question (don't mean to annoy you with it) Where was the son who got all the tools??? He couldn't do the job or at least help? Your DW isn't thinking about that? :he

He lives in northern IL, we are here in Southern IL. Last time he and his wife were at the in-laws he was pulling a large trailer. Its none of my business, so I didn't ask what it was for. But now I know, he cleaned out the barn.

Thanks everyone. sorry again about the rant. Its hard enough dealing with my FIL ALZ, then throw in the MIL factor and it's just over the top!

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
You rant away, we don't mind :hugs

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
MIL is here now, said "You did a nice job on the ramp, pa and I used it today". Then I said your going to need to put that sandpaper tape down no more than 6" apart because you don't want your shoe to be on the wet wood or you may slip." Then she asked me how many rolls should I get? I said I have no idea, the ramp is a total of 24' long and 4' wide. How long are the rolls? She didn't know how long they are. Then I said you know for less than $20.00, you can cover it in that indoor outdoor carpet we agreed on. She didn't like that idea, why? IDK. Then I changed the conversation.

She's a strange bird is all I got to say. Lacking common sense and has to be in control of everything. Now I know why so much **** is all jacked up at their house. My MIL told my FIL how it has to be even if it made no sense and is wrong. Well I got news for her, she ain't going to control me like that, she's not my wife. I don't have a problem doing stuff over there, but I will not be micro managed PERIOD, end of conversation!

Sigh... Sorry again and again for ranting... Somehow it helps though. It's tough times right now dealing with my FIL ALZ, let alone her BS.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Good on you! Really, good on you. You are helping them and doing your best. You've done an amazing job on that ramp, so stand firm and big :hugs

My MIL was difficult too and I remember how much stress that caused us. It's hard when you are trying to do the right thing.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Suffice it to say that dealing with the elderly can be a challenge. Double that when dealing with elderly relatives. 10 x that when dealing with some in-law issues. I have some one close who has it in her head that she no longer has to be nice to people. "I'm old. So, I can say what I want." Nor, does she need to be patient. Expects local handy men/remodelers to come at the drop of a hat to do piddly little things. Was appalled when someone was booking out till mid July and wouldn't bump her to the top of the list to get her front porch painted. "I used to be patient, and it wouldn't bother me to wait. But now, I'm old... I don't have that much time. I know they are all busy. But, I don't want to wait." So... instead of saying "Thank you very much, and please book me for mid-July.", she is looking for "someone who is more accommodating." Spent hours getting this person set up with a new answering machine. Couldn't be an integrated with cordless phone. Had to be a phone with cord. Answering machine needed to be separate b/c that's the way it's always been. Come to find out... after buying and returning 2, all that was needed was a new battery in the old, ancient answering machine... you know... the kind with the little tape cassette inside... :he

Latest posts