Dealing with MIL during FIL ALZ

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Agree with your son.

Agree with you, ALZ sucks.

Told my DD -- if I go that route, shoot me! Crank up the back hoe & take me to the "back forty". DONE -- do not go thru it, I don't want to.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So very sorry you are going through this, CC. Yes, nursing homes do need to be held accountable, as do all medical personnel. My mom's body was sent to the funeral home, conveniently, before the autopsy requested by my sister could be done. This should have never happened, b/c there are check points all along the way before a body is released to a funeral home. We should have pursued legal action, but did not b/c I wanted to spare my dad the added emotional trauma. My heart cries for the nursing home resident who does not have a strong advocate.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So very sorry you are going through this, CC. Yes, nursing homes do need to be held accountable, as do all medical personnel. My mom's body was sent to the funeral home, conveniently, before the autopsy requested by my sister could be done. This should have never happened, b/c there are check points all along the way before a body is released to a funeral home. We should have pursued legal action, but did not b/c I wanted to spare my dad the added emotional trauma. My heart cries for the nursing home resident who does not have a strong advocate.

Thanks for the reply... Its just so sad :( my FIL was a very smart man he was a very good mechanical engineer. Its just so sad and hard to see him lay there like a zombie. ALZ sucks

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nursing home doctor called my mother in law this morning. That my father in law has taken a turn for the worst. His breathing very shallow, he can't swallow any longer and he estimates he has no more than 3 days left before he passes.

I took my wife to the nursing home, shortly after we got there, the hospice doctor came in for an evaluation with the nursing home doctor. They both agreed 24 to 72 hours left until he passes. They started pain medication, so he can pass in comfort. My wife is torn up about this. I finally convinced her to come home and take a nap because she's still sick. I promised her I would wake her up after an hour and take her back to the nursing home.

ALZ is absolutely horrible.

We all are very sad

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:hugsPraying for you and all of your family as you pass through this hard time. May your FIL feel loved, and be comforted during his final hours. May the staff treat him with compassion. And finally, for all of you as you watch, wait, pray, and comfort one an other, may you feel the peace offered by Jesus in an unmistakable and palpable way.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There are no words to express the sadness I feel for you & your family at this time. Just know that he will be without pain & suffering soon, to go with God Yes, sad but a well earned rest is coming. Heaven is real.

May the Peace of God be with you and yours.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My father in law passed @ 8:31PM CST. I was in route with my wife about 10mins from the nursing home when my oldest son called my wife and broke the news.

My 6 oldest boys where with him bedside. His breathing became qurgly and his body went into a convolusion, my second oldest son said open the window so his soul can escape, he passed about 10 seconds after they opened the window.

After we arrived and my mother in law, the chaplain came in and was smiling, he said I apologize for smiling but I can't help myself. He said look at all the family here. My 6 sons plus their wives, my mother in law and my wife and I, he counted 15. Then he said, we believe those that die with family members by their side, are rich and this is the richest man I've seen yet. Then the chaplain said some people die with no loved one by their side. He also noticed the open window over the foot of his bed and said something about a free soul which I didn't catch all of. He prayed with us a beautiful happy prayer of love and family. With all of us standing there packed in this little room.

At some point, I said to everyone that I'm so glad his suffering has ended, he's in heaven now, where there is no more suffering. But I'm also sad for all of us because he will be missed something awful. I think that was exactly what everyone was feeling.

All i can say is ALZ is horrible, it destroyed his mind and body but it did not get his soul. If I know my father in law, he's exploring the wonders of heaven right now with God.

Thank you everyone for your words of wisdom, thoughts and prayers. I could never begin to express in words how much you all have helped in this difficult trial. You all are so awesome.

Last edited:

Latest posts