Dean foods files for bankruptcy

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have to watch all the bread things from the stores. I can't handle the dough conditioners. They make me sick.

Diabetics should only be drinking whole milk as it as less carbs than skim. The fat doesn't matter. That is latest thing they teach the diabetics.

Skim milk isn't just milk without fat. It's sort of condensed so that it isn't pale and watery. I know it used to be common practice for them to add chalk to skim milk to whiten it. There was a big thing in the news back in the late 80s about it.

My attention span is so short I can't handle 5 seconds of ads. I prefer to read personally. I don't watch much that isn't educational because I'm a nerd.

The tuna pouches are great. Hubby doesn't like canned tuna. Neither does Mom anymore. It is mostly just a bit of fish mush in liquid anymore. The pouches actually have fish in them. Since Ive started canning tuna, that's how we eat it.

I wouldn't say a nerd... Just that you are curious about how things work, I'm the same way. I won't read unless I'm going to learn something new. I always find your posts interesting.

Chicken? Chicken in a pouch. Smart choice Charlie! Just tear, eat and go.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i don't want my food wrapped in plastic any more than i want it sealed in metal cans. i can taste either and i don't like them.

my preference for meats is wrapped in waxed paper or butcher paper and food in glass or natural wrapper (the skin of the fruit). canned items (in jars) have some amount of contact with the plastic lid, but at least it is less than the entire package and i rarely smell or taste off notes from them.

my favorite foods are those i get from the garden - often as i'm standing right there.

i do like dairy items like whole milk yogurts, milk, cheeses, but i don't often need or want a lot of them - like meat i usually stretch them by adding beans or vegetables - the fiber fills me up and makes the full feeling last longer and it also helps keep the whole system moving along.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So not Holsteins then. I like Guernsey milk better. It's much higher butterfat and just tastes better. We used to buy cream line when we lived in Virginia Beach. Had to shake it, but that was fine with us. That dairy farm did homogenize there milk as well, but they just did it to the whole milk so it was around 5 or 6 percent milkfat. Not like dairy industry standard of removing all fat then only adding back enough to take it to whatever standard percentage.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Give me my dairy, mostly in the form of cheeses. We consume far less meat than the food pyramid suggestion. I do not spurn sugar, or the goodies made from it. Bread- not a huge fan. It's only a means to hold the good stuff. I'm happiest when the dinner plate is HEAPED with vegetables, with meat, if it's there at all being a complement. I love the flavor meld of a good bean dish. Any readers do sprouts during the off garden season? I'm getting ready to start that again.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Almost NO dairy farms in Va Beach anymore. Most have moved to GA or sold out of business. I know of ONE still around.

BUT -- My goats provide my milk. Whole milk, raw milk, A2 milk, with cream milk!!!! Yep, I am NOT stopping my milk addiction. That's where my cheese & yogurt come from, also -- their fresh milk. Fresh eggs from truly free range chickens. Meat from those extra roos. Harvest goat meat, and occasional pig. I can make great bread. Garden size depends on weather and ambition. My canner is used. My freezer, dehydrator, both used. Guess I won't miss brick and mortar. :lol:

About the only thing I buy are staples, and those are minimal. But I don't get concerned about fats, carbs, etc. My diet is pretty balanced and our bodies need some fats & carbs. I like candy now & then, but eat little of it....rarely buy. Rarely have a soft drink, use little sugars, use butter -- not spreads -- use lard (home grown), olive oil. Drink wine. Yep, I'm a healthy, radical old lady. :old

Plus, have sewn for years....seamstress type clothing. Have a large stock of fabrics. My life is pretty capable & self contained. Beyond transportation & upkeep on vehicles, I'm an island. Now, I still have my saddles & bridles, could easily get another riding animal. RFLOL.

AND I rarely buy online. Guess I'm weird but, self-sufficient.

Sorry that another industry is falling. Hated that Smithfield Foods sold out to China (only 30 miles from me). What's the world coming to????

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So not Holsteins then. I like Guernsey milk better. It's much higher butterfat and just tastes better. We used to buy cream line when we lived in Virginia Beach. Had to shake it, but that was fine with us. That dairy farm did homogenize there milk as well, but they just did it to the whole milk so it was around 5 or 6 percent milkfat. Not like dairy industry standard of removing all fat then only adding back enough to take it to whatever standard percentage.

My wife buys that shake first milk :)

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
milk has a bad rap with millennials life style, to much fat. Heck even @wyoDreamer who I know is not a millennial is convinced that deans French onion dip which is the bomb, is fattening. See to me a post baby-boomer, fat = flavor, but to a millennial fat = nasty don't eat!
Its not the French Onion Dip that is doing me in, it is all the potato chips that I eat with it. I probably wouldn't have a problem if I used carrots to dip.

I drink 2% milk, my DH says that I am trying to kill him and he wants Skim. I would buy whole milk, but that is totally not-acceptable in our house. You need fat in your diet to aid in absorbing vitamins as most are fat-soluble.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@wyoDreamer, my favorite dip for carrots is peanut butter. it is also my favorite dip for bananas. my perfect breakfast is a banana and peanut butter and about a cup of milk. the fake coffee may have come first some days, but i am gradually getting out of my habit there. i have to drink the fake stuff as i don't do well with caffiene any more. i blur enough around the edges as it is. :)