DEBT FREEDOM...how many see it as the first step to SS?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
If you paid of your debt each month and lived within your means you wouldn't have much to complain about.
When you run a business and use credit for purchases and your clients don't pay until 30 days later....

Yeah...situations ARE different...and yeah, I ranted on that thread :D

lilac321

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Any Dave Ramsey fans here?
My husband and I went through Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University classes...13 weeks. It was amazing. We paid off all of our debt, over $20,000 in 5 months. We sold stuff, cut back and budgeted all the time. It was well worth it! And we actually enjoyed his Christian perspective on both finances and politics.

We never use credit cards and pay cash at all times. We are huge believers that self sufficiency and peace of mind begin with being debt free.

With the economy the way it is, we are very grateful for the timing of our choice to become debt free. :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yeah, for years I've worried about my not having credit cards and no real established credit, as a result of paying cash or paying off major purchases very quickly. I even contemplated buying a car on payments recently, paying on it for a year, then paying it off....just to establish credit.

Then I thought.....why? I'm not going to be buying any property any time soon, nor will I be getting a car that I can't pay cash for....so why then do I need credit in today's economy?

The answer is, I don't. I have a debit card for any hotel or car rentals that may become necessary and this is enough.

Buying things on credit has been the downfall of our true economy, both by our government and its populace. Its time to pay real money for real items that we really need, not $0 down and $0 payments for 12 months for an item with no useful value. Its like playing life with Monopoly money! :p

lilac321

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I totally agree! We learned that the only kind of credit score you should have is ZERO. Cash has been more empowering to us than credit ever was.

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
We just paid off a lot of debt :D More to go, but we are getting there!! :weee :weee :weee

My husband is really getting into Dave Ramsey, so I imagine that we will be utilizing a lot of his methods to financial freedom. :woot

I am still concerned about the economy tanking....we're still not out of the woods yet, or anywhere near self sufficient should the economy take a further considerable dive :/

lilac321

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Cute Big Daddy!

Dave says to sell so much stuff your kids think they're next. :)

Okiemommy...if you or your husband have any questions about Dave's plan, feel free to PM me. My husband and I are so into spreading the word about how this plan works!

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
lilac321 said:
Any Dave Ramsey fans here?
My husband and I went through Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University classes...13 weeks.
I checked on this class and found out that there is one beginning March 11th, and it only about 25 miles away.

We have been debt free for years; however, I'm looking forward to the class so I can pick up some other tips.

Thanks lilac.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Got a call from one of my oldest friends, known him since first grade. He was giving me a rundown on all the financial fiascos he and his wife are into right now....and he's just frantic! He's so far behind in his bills that he thinks he's first....it was so sad to hear it. Like echoes of the world. :(

Then, he stopped long enough to take a breath and ask how I'm doing. Now, this man is well-versed in my past struggles to make ends meet in the middle and had often tried to give me advice on what he thought I was doing wrong.

He was quite shocked to hear I was doing well in these times and asked how I was managing it. When I started to tell him all the adjustments I'd made in my life over the last few years, he was skeptical that he could change his life to that degree and have the same results. Said his wife would never understand how to do any "frugal living" and he couldn't "give it all up and go hippy" like me! :lol:

There are none so blind as those who refuse to see...

Wouldn't you like to take them by the shoulders and give them several hard shakes and make them see the big, black hole yawning before them? :(