DEBT FREEDOM...how many see it as the first step to SS?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Yeah, for years I've worried about my not having credit cards and no real established credit, as a result of paying cash or paying off major purchases very quickly. I even contemplated buying a car on payments recently, paying on it for a year, then paying it off....just to establish credit.

Then I thought.....why? I'm not going to be buying any property any time soon, nor will I be getting a car that I can't pay cash for....so why then do I need credit in today's economy?

The answer is, I don't. I have a debit card for any hotel or car rentals that may become necessary and this is enough.

Buying things on credit has been the downfall of our true economy, both by our government and its populace. Its time to pay real money for real items that we really need, not $0 down and $0 payments for 12 months for an item with no useful value. Its like playing life with Monopoly money! :p
Bee, you know I have been reading this thread since it started. Things around here have changed a lot since then. My husbands job, the cost of living, the value of my home. I think I now I understand how credit and the big banks are manipulating people. It's such a false sense of security. I always thought my credit line would be my safety net. Opps, that's not gonna work. Time for a piggy bank makeover!!

I am sorry to hear about your friend. We know many people in the same situation.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
To me, being debt free is extremely important. My family and I made the decision several years ago to pay down our debt and then pay it off. This year we paid of the last loan and the only thing we have now is the mortgage and I want to get out from underneath that ASAP.

It's a good thing we did that since I lost my job about 6 months ago. If I had lost it back then we would have lost everything! Now I finally get to enjoy being a SAHM and planning for harder times with chickens and a huge veggie patch.

I don't understand (in my mind) how you can be self sufficient while being in debt. But being more self sufficient than you were a year ago is fantasic. We'll all get where we want to go with baby steps, determination , an open mind and a will to learn and experiment.

My granddaddy always said hard work built character. Of course I thought he was crazy at the time. LOL

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I just had this discussion...or should I say rant...with my boys this morning. They were pulling attitudes because I want them to help me on this place on "every sunny day there is" and they just wanted "one Saturday to have fun"! :barnie :he

I had to inform them~AGAIN~that there is ONE income supporting FOUR people right now and I am building for the future. I am trying to develop some money-making projects that will generate food and money sources that are not taxed, are renewable, and will help me support this household.

When you have one income, its helpful if you have a partner who's got your back and is trying to save money, generate money or food at home, etc.

Times like this I wish I had a good wife.... :/ Yeah, you heard me...a good wife..and, no, I haven't switched sides or anything! :p Its just that a husband would bring me nothing but headaches right now...but a good wife at home? Helping me grow a garden and tend to animals? Helping with all these projects, instead of grumping about "doing all this work" on a Saturday? :rolleyes:

If only I could clone myself, life would be dandy! ;) :lol:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
LOLOL

My mom used to say that all the time

"I need a freaking wife!!!!"

That's usually about the time dad suddenly remembered something he had to do in the workshop

:gig

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I agree Bee. Have you ever seen the movie Cold Mountain. I much preferred the book but I think we could all use a "Ruby" in our lives. I found having my girlfriend over when I made my jams worked great. One cleaned and readied the fruit while the other mashed and stirred. We had great conversation and good fun while getting a ton done.

oh, It would be nice to have someone do my wash and clean my house. I think I need a wife also. Do they still sell Russian mail order brides? Maybe I could convince my husband.;)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That's the only role I've seen Renee in that I really liked! That character was ME!! :D And, yes, it would be really cool to have a gal pal to split labor and dreams with sometimes.

Maybe that is why Mormon wives didn't mind it so much? :)

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
That's the only role I've seen Renee in that I really liked! That character was ME!! :D And, yes, it would be really cool to have a gal pal to split labor and dreams with sometimes.

Maybe that is why Mormon wives didn't mind it so much? :)
Are you talking about the days before polygamy was illegal?

I think many of them did mind it.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
*sigh* I so wish all you ladies had snagged a man like my hubby. With him, I don't need a wife!

..but with the SIL and her two kids moving up, I'm getting a wife!

SIL loves the idea of being SS, can't wait to plant and grow a garden with us, has said she'll teach me how to can this year since she knows how, and is looking forward to having chickens!

She knows how to make a dollar stretch and can pinch a penny until it screams. She's a neat freak like my DH (her brother) and she's not scared to lend a hand or help out!

I can't wait until she gets here!! I guess I'm getting a wife!