December Dreaming

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ok, this thread doesn't really have a purpose and should probably go under Random Ramblings...

But I've really been taken over by garden dreams even though it's still months before anything is getting planted.

Seriously, I've found myself going to sleep with visions of raised beds.

What do I want to plant?

Let me count the veggies:

Asparagus
Arugula
Beans (bush and vine)
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts
Butternut squash
Cabbage
Carrots
Corn
Cucumber
Daikon Radish
Garlic
Kale
Leek
Lettuce
Onion
Peas (snap and mangetout)
Peppers (sweet and hot)
Potato
Pumkins
Rhubarb
Spinach
Squash (summer and winter)
Tomato
Zucchini

Will this be possible? Probably not. But it's December...I can still dream right?
smiley-chores006.gif

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lol! Yes that's something to get excited about as well :) Though all I have on the animal front are chicken plans, but it's the big garden that will be the big change. I've got more land then sense (or dollars ;)), which is a fortunate 'problem' to have.

I have a feeling next year will be a total flop on produce because the area just won't be as prepared as it should be. But I can't wait another year!

I also have dreams of apples, but don't have a good site for them. I may just buy two hardware-store trees in the spring and then get good root stock down the road when I know I have a suitable site.

And sorry, I know this isn't suitable talk for you since you want a small garden next year :D

Although "large" and "small" are pretty relative...

What is everyone's garden size?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nah I still like talking about gardens! We have very old apple trees here, but DH was taught how to graft recently and the guy who taught him said we could have some cuttings to graft onto our trees :)

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Awesome! We didn't get root stock this year because I didn't know where to get scions.
I did find one old apple tree in our woods.

Now I'm more worried about finding a good place for them to grow. Too wet and too windy. Though the too wet may be because it rained all summer. When we bought this place last year it was during a complete drought. Interesting to have seen the two extremes in just two years. But the weather can mellow out now thanks

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Great thread...and a great list!

I find myself dreaming of the garden as well. Last year's had me so discouraged that I wasn't looking forward to this next season at all...then I switched to hay instead of chips and suddenly I've got a little tingle of excitement starting about the garden once again.

Today I placed bales of hay in the garden to form a small raised bed...just three bales long, one bale wide. I wanted to get it set up so I could start filling it with things that can start rotting downward. It has a floor of hay right now that I'll likely scuff up a little so the ground is showing in places, then will put some bark and wood scraps left over from the wood getting and also some wood chips. Then a layer of hay, a layer of leaves, a layer of hay, a layer of chicken compost and so on and so forth until I get it as full as I can get it.

Come spring I'll plant some spuds in the middle, a squash or two on one end and carrots everywhere else.

My list doesn't vary much nowadays....

Romaine lettuce
Pak Choy
carrots
broccoli
napa cabbage
Beets(just for harvesting the tops)
Sweet onions
Tomatoes
Red Pontiac spuds
Sugar Snap peas
Green peppers
Hot banana peppers
rhubarb
flowers
cukes
Half runner and Fortex beans
squash
pumpkins
sunflowers
zinnias

Already in the garden....

Rhubarb
A few asparagus(been there a couple of years but has never produced anything)
strawberries
chives
garlic
lemon thyme
lemon balm
Russian Sage
honeysuckle~pink and white
raspberries
Black eyed Susans

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think I posted it elsewhere but this is all I plan on growing next year, unless DH wins our downsizing battle

Carrots
Lettuce
Kale
Bush beans
Winter squash (haven't decided exactly what yet)
Pumpkins
Tomatoes
Herbs
Watermelon (per DD's request)

I will also be planning/prepping a spot for garlic because I am garlic obsessed!

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That raised bed should look pretty good in the spring Bee :)

And watermelon! I didn't add that to my list. But it would be one of the first to cut off the list anyway.

I like your list NH, if I only end up planting the little garden my list will look pretty similar.

I also have the Asparagus, garlic and rhubarb in the ground already, so is some horseradish, but I included it as it's part of my garden planning :)

And I didn't include any of the herbs...or flowers. Lol

For sure I at least want Basil integrated in the bed, other herbs may just get a pot on the deck

I'm working on two separate gardens for next year. And only one 15' x 9' area is really worth planting in :rolleyes:

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm getting things together as well. So far I have

A couple types of tomatoes
Bell peppers
Squash
2 kale
2 cabbages
2 turnips
Rutabaga
Carrots
Radishes
Cantaloupe
Okra
Brussel sprouts

And a few more things I'm not sure about

Still gotta get me some potatoes, beans and cucumbers. May save some of that stuff for fall