December Dreaming

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm dreaming hard about a garden for Spring and this thread is making my list longer and longer and oh my gosh, @baymule I'm so glad I'm not in the States and NO, I am NOT looking at that website to see if they export to here :p

So far my rather modest list is spinach, peas, pumpkins, corn, tomatoes, sunflowers for eye candy, mini peppers, squash (if I can get gem squash seeds) and potatoes. It will probably take off once I start gardening. I have a generous space and wonderful looking soil out there :)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
oh yes, I forgot about sunflowers! Of course those also. My Fedco catalogue came today and DH snatched it up before I got to look- I hope he doesn't have too many ideas!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm already growing celery in my windowsill, I'm too impatient to wait for a garden. Our spring plans include heavily pruning the fruit trees and grape vines and adding at least another apple and peach, and then adding at least one plum tree. We also want to rebuild the old rotting grape trellis, and add a rose trellis. We added blueberry and blackberry bushes this year, and want to add strawberries this next year. My goal this next year is a lot more flowers that will come every year. And I tried rhubarb in AL before with no luck, but I think maybe I can grow it here. I'm further north than before. My summer garden last year was a bust with a foot of rain in three weeks, but I have greenhouses now...
IMG_20171209_064843.jpg

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
oh yes, I forgot about sunflowers! Of course those also. My Fedco catalogue came today and DH snatched it up before I got to look- I hope he doesn't have too many ideas!

NO way!!! I'm jealous...haven't gotten one yet. :( Looking forward to that one. I ordered most of my seeds from there last year and was very satisfied with them all.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yup, just your northern neighbour (notice the 'u' ;)) I wanted to keep the zone as that's a better indication of growing opportunities.

I like your list sumi :) I think it's a good mix

I have never grown celery, that's awesome! When do you plant it in the ground @milkmansdaughter ? And all that fruit sounds amazing.

I haven't ordered any seed catalogs yet :hide I've always just gone to seed events to get local seeds. But I may want more options this year. I'll look into it.

Though I may have already put a dent in my dreams...I'm going to apply for a part-time job. Gulp. Will all my garden plans disappear? I hope not :(. Of course, I don't have the job yet either...

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@treerooted, celery is easy. When we got celery for thanksgiving, we just cut the bottom off (check the picture.) (If you're worried about chemicals, buy organic.) We used the stalks, and put the base in water. I stick a few toothpicks in to keep the base off if the bottom of the dish. You can see the celery growing. Once it has roots just stuck it in a pot in a sunny location.

I change the water every week or so. If you have chlorine in your water, let it sit in an open container overnight before using it on your plants.

You can do the same to start an avocado and pineapple. Avocado pits take a long time to split open and grow but they're fun to watch. Pineapple is a little bit more finicky and has a better chance of rotting rather than rooting.

Latest posts