December Dreaming

YoteMeadows

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So many great lists and ideas here! Now I have to re-do our list...darn, LOL. We have a few rasied beds that my husband built two summers ago. They are awesome! Banana peppers were our most prolific harvest last year, so we will for sure do that again. We have a friend who will be joining in the garden growing adventures with us and getting a set up for aquaponics to test out. (Plus expanding plots for more foods). Going to add lentils to the list this year and better fencing to keep those pesky kids out of the tomatoes. Tomatoes rarely make it into the house before they eat them all. Which reminds me I need more of those spinning sparkly pinwheels that keep rabbits out...my youngest likes move them LOL.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
SUMI thanks for that picture -- sure looks like I feel after being out there!!! :lol:

I've read that rabbits don't like to cross thru wood ashes or sulfer. Some of you try putting that around some plants and let us know if it helps. Around here the fox have lessened the rabbit population, so I rarely see any. Once in a while there's a couple near the woods. As that is not near my garden, I enjoy them.

Ordered seeds last night! Won't be planting them for another oh... 5 months, lol

At least you will have them in plenty of time to start plants to put out!! :) With a short grow season I am sure that is a huge consideration.

I have a long season but really want to put them out at the VERY earliest I can this year to have crops working ASAP. I'm time crunching this year...before I lose the desire to do it. Plus I hope to use some plantings for animal feed. Need it to work for me. :idunno

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Chic Rustler @treerooted do y'all like butterbeans? I have a lot of Violet's Multicolored Butterbeans seeds I will be glad to share with you both. I also have seed for Hastings Prolific White Dent corn, it makes good eating corn or you can let it dry for cornmeal. If you feed it well with compost, water during growing with chicken poo tea, it will make 2 ears per stalk.

Just PM me your names and addresses.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Growing any of your animal foods is a good thing! A couple extra plants of tomatoes are very popular with my flock. Turnips are another veg they like and it can be grown in Fall, left in ground where winter is not heavy frozen, pull and use as needed. My goats love any greens, carrots, squash, etc. Both like melons & pumpkins..any kind.

December is a busy, cold month for most of us and we long to be back out in the warm sunshine!! Great time to plan. Plus, most of us will be starting plants in late Jan thru March. Sorry, NH, you will be way behind this schedule -- with snow thru March/April (?) -- gardening late -- several others are in those cold climes.

Alost all seeds I will use are here. Hope I can get some winter wheat in a field or two to help grazing for Jan/Feb....a treat for the grazers, for sure! Need to find the seed for that, it's not part of my supplies. LOL

It's cold here -- sleet, sold, drizzly, messy, 2 mores days predicted -- I absolutely hate the cold weather!!! Add wind and it's just too much. Our worse months are Jan/Feb. So not looking forward to it!! Whining here. Ready for winter to be OVER....

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm dreaming hard about a garden for Spring and this thread is making my list longer and longer and oh my gosh, @baymule I'm so glad I'm not in the States and NO, I am NOT looking at that website to see if they export to here :p

So far my rather modest list is spinach, peas, pumpkins, corn, tomatoes, sunflowers for eye candy, mini peppers, squash (if I can get gem squash seeds) and potatoes. It will probably take off once I start gardening. I have a generous space and wonderful looking soil out there :)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I found a plant catalogue in the pub of all places the other day. Lovely roses and some berries and fruit trees. They sell fig trees! I've not seen a fig in any shape since I came to Ireland. I'm so tempted to buy a few trees (I want cherry, apple, fig, apricot (can get them from another company here)), but since I'm renting this house, I don't want to go overboard on spending on the garden, only to leave it behind when I move to my own place eventually.