December Dreaming

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Found out that tomatoes are now triggering a health issue I have, so have to readjust how we've always grown a garden. Tomatoes have always been one of our main crops but now I'll scale them down to just two 8 ft. long CP trellises.

That frees up more space for other things we eat a lot of here, like spuds, sweet onions, lettuces, hot peppers, broccoli and such.

Will REALLY miss the good canned tomato soup, though I may still be able to eat a tomato sandwich or so now and again. Will give away any excess maters we grow to those who can't or don't grow them.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
came wandering over to have a nice quiet afternoon and couldn't do it. all of you, yes all of you are such enablers, such bad influences. I got my bakers creek catalog the other day and placed an order. then read baymules blurb about bountiful seeds and had to order some things from them too. been hauling bunny poo and digging it into the barrel planters I use for raised beds. can't wait to start getting seeds ready and planted. spring will be here before you know it.:weee
You got to watch out for us! lol Great to see you back here, stranger :) Glad we could influence you positively too!

YoteMeadows

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So many great lists and ideas here! Now I have to re-do our list...darn, LOL. We have a few rasied beds that my husband built two summers ago. They are awesome! Banana peppers were our most prolific harvest last year, so we will for sure do that again. We have a friend who will be joining in the garden growing adventures with us and getting a set up for aquaponics to test out. (Plus expanding plots for more foods). Going to add lentils to the list this year and better fencing to keep those pesky kids out of the tomatoes. Tomatoes rarely make it into the house before they eat them all. Which reminds me I need more of those spinning sparkly pinwheels that keep rabbits out...my youngest likes move them LOL.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My sweet peppers always do poorly. What's your secret @YoteMeadows ? I would like to hear how lentils fare for you! What USDA zone are you in?

Maybe your kiddos need their own garden? :gig I can't imagine no tomatoes coming up to the house. I planted all the tomato seed I'd been hoarding or forgetting to plant (same difference?) last year. So many tomatoes! It was overwhelming!

YoteMeadows

Power Conserver
Reaction score
@tortoise lol, their own garden is a great idea! I'm in zone 6a according to the map, but we have to start later than most due to spring is either freezing, or pouring flooding rains, then summers are dry and HOT. I think it was just luck LOL

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Which reminds me I need more of those spinning sparkly pinwheels that keep rabbits out
I'm making a note of this! We have so many rabbits here it's ridiculous and I'm a bit worried they'll eat my garden.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Where I lived before, in South Africa, we had extremely hot and dry summers and I always had good crops off my peppers and chilies. We had to water them frequently, but they held up good in the heat when everything else, but the corn went :th

YoteMeadows

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'll have to adjust my watering then and see how that works. We kind of have a plant it and see what happens gardening style at our house LOL.
20170629_163213.jpg

Last edited: