December Dreaming

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If I want something in particular I might not be able to find it, and we will start our own in the future... Just not this year! I live in the middle of a sea of gardeners, lol.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Chick rustler even though the bio degradable pots are supposed to break down, I always peel them off before setting out the plants. I've pulled up plants at end of garden season to find many of the roots were restricted by the pots that were still there and did not break down.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I second baymule's experience with biodegradable pots. I also had trouble with them splitting and leaking soil - killing my seedlings. This year I'm trying jiffy pellets, but I'll peel the "biodegradable plastic" off before setting in the garden. the world doesn't need any more microplastic.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use the jiffy pellets and peel off the webbing too. If I need a bigger "pot" I use Styrofoam or plastic cups with a hole punched in the bottom.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Our cucumbers and water melons came from Walmart last year. They were in the biodegradable pots. I peeled the plastic wrap off and just buried the pot. They did well

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Does anyone here make newspaper pots? I'm curious how long they hold up? how many weeks? I was thinking maybe I could do newspaper pots for things I start only 2 weeks early. I'm sure it wouldn't work out for those that start 4 months early!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I did newspaper ones several years ago. They worked well. Don't make too many layers...I had a few that I cut at planting. Kinda depends on the plant & how long you need to have them in their pots. I've used cups as Bay says & generally cut them off before planting.

When I used a cup, I would be sure the plant was moist but not too wet when I cut the cup off, to have a moist but solid glob of root. Then slipped it into a prepared hole. I have some containers to use for mini greenhouses -- Like the loaf cakes, or roaster chicken come in. I have also put seeds into dirt in an oblong plastic pan, outside, transplanted when ready.

We have so many different weather situations that a lot depends on that, alone. Here my season is fairly long but, for an early garden, you need started plants....if they are heat loving types. Cooler ones, peas, brassicas, etc. can go in ground & do fine for the most part. I suspect you TX people have same thing.

NH -- holy cow, snow and cold creates a real short season. Can't believe you'd ever get a tomato without a started plant.