December Dreaming

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
we are suppose to have a solid week of below freezing temps. I see lots of water hauling in my future. watering bunnies with warm water 2 or 3 times a day. am trying the salt water bottles for the goat and sheep troughs. its working so far but well have to see what this week brings. I did all of this years ago in w.va. but I was much younger and stronger then. i'm not having fun yet. if I ever find you who turned the heat down this low its POW right in the kisser.
@sumi I plant all my things except corn and okra in 55 gallon barrels cut in half and don't seem to have any rabbit problems. chickens yes but not bunnies. maybe if you got containers and got them up off the ground some that would help.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
SUMI thanks for that picture -- sure looks like I feel after being out there!!! :lol:

I've read that rabbits don't like to cross thru wood ashes or sulfer. Some of you try putting that around some plants and let us know if it helps. Around here the fox have lessened the rabbit population, so I rarely see any. Once in a while there's a couple near the woods. As that is not near my garden, I enjoy them.

Ordered seeds last night! Won't be planting them for another oh... 5 months, lol

At least you will have them in plenty of time to start plants to put out!! :) With a short grow season I am sure that is a huge consideration.

I have a long season but really want to put them out at the VERY earliest I can this year to have crops working ASAP. I'm time crunching this year...before I lose the desire to do it. Plus I hope to use some plantings for animal feed. Need it to work for me. :idunno

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Interesting about the rabbits and ashes. We have the same thing here - too many foxes, so not too many rabbits! Foxes eat the chickens, rabbits eat the garden. Sigh. Can't win with either!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm ready for spring already! Got too much to do

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The best part about winter is snowmobiling. It's too cold to even do that here! Plenty of snow but brrrr!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Going to order seeds today. I need to get my onion seeds planted soon.

My idiot Ben got my seed box out of the garden~when idiot me left the gate open~ and tore it to shreds on a rainy day this fall, so all my seeds were lost to me. In a way it was a good thing, as it cleared out old seed and forces me to get new, but there was a lot of good seed lost too.

So, back to the drawing board....right now I'm just using Fedco and then R. H. Shumway for the seeds Fedco doesn't carry.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Going to order seeds today. I need to get my onion seeds planted soon.

My idiot Ben got my seed box out of the garden~when idiot me left the gate open~ and tore it to shreds on a rainy day this fall, so all my seeds were lost to me. In a way it was a good thing, as it cleared out old seed and forces me to get new, but there was a lot of good seed lost too.

So, back to the drawing board....right now I'm just using Fedco and then R. H. Shumway for the seeds Fedco doesn't carry.

Try that migardener.com it's worth 99c a pack just to give it a shot