Deer number two--Yippee!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Congrats to your hubby. I can't wait to see pics.

One of these days someone needs to post a thread and explain the whole tag thing. I know you only get so many but what or who determines it? Some are for bucks and others does? Anyways it would be great to have it explained to us Non- hunters.

gina

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
TanksHill said:

One of these days someone needs to post a thread and explain the whole tag thing. I know you only get so many but what or who determines it? Some are for bucks and others does? Anyways it would be great to have it explained to us Non- hunters.

gina
It all depends on the state in the US.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
TanksHill said:

gina
It all depends on the state in the US.
As Dac said, it varies by states, and even country. here in Canada, you get your hunting license which is a card that you carry in your wallet. Mine is a small games and conservatory (?) fishing license. That allows me to hunt small game such as grouse and rabbit etc. and to fish regular fish (either sitting in a small boat, ice fishing or fishin off the dock--no charter fishing. I have to have that (without the fishing part) in order to buy a deer, bear or turkey tag.

Our WMU (wildlife management units) decide how many deer tags thay are going to issue due to reports on how active the deer population is for that particular year in that particular area. Deer tags that can be purchased as is are buck tags. With those, you can only shoot a visibly male deer. In order to manage the population appropriately, only a certain number of doe tags are set for each year, for each WMU. In order to obtain a a doe tag, you must enter a draw to get one. Sometimes you get one, sometimes you don't. What they issue is an antlerless deer tag, with which you can bag anything without antlers, young buck or doe. It has been our experience that you see plenty of does while out hunting, so it makes sense to get an antlerless deer tag, especially if meat is your primary reason for getting out there.

For moose you enter a draw for the wmu you wish to hunt in. If you are successful, you either get a cow tag, or a bull tag. with either, you are allowed to also shoot a calf(which is nearly impossible to do)(but you can't shoot a cow/bull AND a calf, its an either or situation.

Bear are usually plentiful (if you are in the north), so tags are issued to whoever wants one, but they do monitor the population, as you should report your harvest. We used to have a spring bear hunt, which has now been cancelled (although there are still plenty of bear), they extended the fall hunt.

For turkey, you buy a tag to hunt a bearded bird. Some hens do have a beard, and hubby got one last year.

That's pretty much it :)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Congratulations!!!!!!!

I love having venison in my freezer! YAY for your hubby getting a second deer!! :ya

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Oh how awsome! Glad I'm not the only one who'll be elbow deep in venison this week, haha. Can't wait to see pics!!!!