Deer permits for crop damage!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I just applied for my first deer permit for crop damage. I normally wouldn't do it this way and we would hunt them honestly but the conditions just aren't right where we live.

Last year we had 13 deer in the orchard every night and we let them stay, anticipating the fall kills. We got one 8 pt. buck at the first of the bowhunting season. Then we saw the neighbor who rents the field next to us riding his 4-wheeler up on the ridge every evening. After that the deer were coming in at night only. We figure they encountered a tasty corn pile that stopped them on their way to our place. Well, when they go nocturnal and you only have one place to hunt...right here on our 1+ acre...we were stumped. Never saw another deer, the whole season, until after dark.

We depend on that meat as it is the only meat we eat. We don't buy store bought meat and wouldn't buy much red meat if we did. So, this year we are going to get that freezer filled one way or the other. We applied for the crop damage permit and are allowed 5 deer kills! They even let you spotlight them until 11 pm. Well, we've never spotlighted before, so we won't be doing that! I don't particularly like to put up deer when its this warm, nor do I like to kill a doe who may be feeding a fawn, so I am getting an extension on that permit until late summer/early fall. We aren't big on gun hunting either, so this won't feel very sporting but, at least we'll have winter meat. My freezer is very small, so I will be canning a good bit.

This fall we will try to bowhunt again, like normal, but we are kind of limited here.

Anyone else put meat in the freezer this way? This is kind of new to us and it feels kind of wrong, but I'm going to do it anyway.

yotetrapper

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I never have no, but I wouldnt feel bad about it. Deer cause SOO much damage to crops here it's just insane. Sure... you might be cheating to fill your freezers, but you also need to protect your orchards. Dont look at it as permits for meat, look at it as permits to save your orchard. You never know how things work out, for all you know, some kid could be driving down your road and one of those deer could jump out in front of them a week before bow season and cause a death. Put up your meat and be grateful for it.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:D I've been meaning to ask...what, exactly is a yote? Never heard of one in these parts! ;)

yotetrapper

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Sure you have Yotes LOL. You just dont realize it. A "Yote" is a coYOTE. Ahhh now you know you have them, dont you? LOL But you probably pronounce it the eastern way... ki-o-tee as opposed to the western ki-yote.

A large portion of my husband and my fall/winter income comes from trapping coyotes and coon and beaver. Farmers around here LOVE us. They sure do hate when yotes eat their sheep and coons eat their corn and beavers flood their crops. Think we're the most popular people in the county lol.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We only have three acres, so I doubt we would be entitled but if we were, I would take full advantage of it. Hubby is a bowhunter also, except for turkey and rabbit) and ds is well on his way to becoming one.
We only have 1+ acres to hunt on! They didn't even ask about the acreage. Just wanted to be sure there were no other dwellings within 500 ft. of the area. So you may want to ask about it.

We are bowhunters also and sort of feel like that is the more sporting way of doing it....guess that's why it feels so weird. We won't be doing this at night...too much chance of wounding one, I imagine. We take great pride in making a swift and sure kill. I don't allow the boys to take long shots or running shots at all. If ya can't get em close, let em go, I say. They each have many clean bow kills to their credit. My dad taught them very well!

The deer mowed my maters to the ground last year and ate quite a few apples. This year we changed the dogs' boundaries, so they won't be in the garden or half of the orchard. The top half is where my big MacIntosh apples are and they are unprotected.

Oooooooh, YOTES!!! I get it! That would fit in real well around here! The folks around here refer to their ewes as "yoes"...took me awhile to get that one also! We could sure use you around here. We use the "ki~ote~ee" pronounciation here.

yotetrapper

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yeah where I'm from in western ny they were ki-o-tees, here in IL though, they're ki-yotes... or just yotes.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
I wish I oculd apply for a crop damage permit, even though the wind did it. :rolleyes:
Yes, YOTE as in coyote.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Well, got the first of five deer for crop damage. I must say, that processing deer in warm weather is nasty! I'm not by any means squeamish, but the warm, floppy meat is not to my liking. No hanging over night in cold weather to firm up before cutting. We had to quarter it and get it in the fridge right away. My grandma always said that the sweat of haste is the worst kind....she's right!

The deer was young and fair sized and it took little time at all to gut, skin and quarter...but it seems like longer when its getting dark, the bugs are chewing your cheeks off and you're working in a warm body cavity! :p

This time I did the gutting, as the boys get in a hurry and get sloppy sometimes. I like my meat taken care of carefully or it doesn't appeal to me.

One down, four to go! Tenderloin, anyone? :)

nccountrygirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would love some, dipped in buttermilk, rolled in seasoned flour and fried crisp then stuck in a hot buttermilk biscuit. Yummy