Deer permits for crop damage!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Son #2 made homemade honeywheat bread this evening, so we'll have all the makings of a good supper tomorrow night. Also some fresh fried yellow squash, fresh, crisp romaine lettuce for a salad.... can't wait!

That deer was headed right for my favorite MacIntosh tree! :mad:

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here where we are in southside Va. we are only allowed 2 deer for crop damage. We only have 1+ acre also but we are int he process of using every inch of it to benefit us, instead of it sitting there and getting a grass cut every couple weeks.

It's funny we went from having 1 dog and 2 cats to add 25 chickens and 19 baby chicks, 2 turkeys, 2 guineas, 3 ducks and 2 goats all since April 3 0f this year. Hopefully my hubby will be getting a milk cow by next year. We are Ag-1 coded so we can have whatever we want as long as we feed it. Here are some picks.................

Our ducks
friends2008010.jpg

Our goats.....Bonnie & Clyde (couldn't help it LOL)
friends2008007.jpg

One of our Turkeys
friends2008012.jpg

This is my roo Tigger, he has a big mouth
friends2008014.jpg

A couple RIR hens
Family004-17.jpg

Would show you more but its hard to fit it all in one camera frame :lol:

Sorry, I got a bit off topic but I couldn't help it. Hope you all can kill all the deer possible. Is it very hard to get an extention on the crop damage permits?

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Well, got the first of five deer for crop damage. I must say, that processing deer in warm weather is nasty! I'm not by any means squeamish, but the warm, floppy meat is not to my liking. No hanging over night in cold weather to firm up before cutting. We had to quarter it and get it in the fridge right away. My grandma always said that the sweat of haste is the worst kind....she's right!

The deer was young and fair sized and it took little time at all to gut, skin and quarter...but it seems like longer when its getting dark, the bugs are chewing your cheeks off and you're working in a warm body cavity! :p

This time I did the gutting, as the boys get in a hurry and get sloppy sometimes. I like my meat taken care of carefully or it doesn't appeal to me.

One down, four to go! Tenderloin, anyone? :)
I forgot to ask, Is it an antlerless permit or either sex permit?

chcknrs

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Usually a crop damage permit will apply to "any animal" in the species you applied for the permit. I've read that they are pretty hard to get here in WA, but am tempted to try due to the damage to my garden!

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
chcknrs said:
Usually a crop damage permit will apply to "any animal" in the species you applied for the permit. I've read that they are pretty hard to get here in WA, but am tempted to try due to the damage to my garden!
Wow, You can shoot bucks!
I guess it wouldn't be the same as hunting though :/

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Nah, no sport in it, really. Of course, from a family of die hard bowhunters, no gun kill is sporting! :lol:

You can get a buck if the antlers are 3 in. or less.

Chickcrew, your animals all look very healthy, beautiful, and well cared for! Very beautiful pics and I thank you for showing us. I always like to put a place with a name...more so than a face, as I will forget the face but not as likely to forget nice looking places and animals! I know, I'm gettin' old! :p

We have so many deer here that they are all kind of small and stunted, compared to the western part of WV. For the herd health alone, they need to be thinned! We have no land on which to hunt here but we still need the meat, as we don't buy from the store. We don't eat meat as often as most, but find it nice to be able to fix some that is lean and healthy, if we get a taste for it.

So, to kill (pun intended) two deer with one stone....we get to protect the apples and put meat in the freezer. It feels kind of weird not being able to hunt the season up here and the boys feel kind of lost. All the farmers around here are pretty selfish with hunting permits but complain freely about all the deer! Funny thing...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I haven't ate much of it...just a little stir fry the boys threw together. This was a young deer and we had it gutted, skinned and thrown in the fridge in about 45 min, but I detect a strong taste. Not to my liking but maybe if ground and seasoned, could be masked. You know how some bucks taste in the rut, no matter how careful you are with the processing? That's sort of how it taste to me. Could be my imagination, as I'm the one that did the gutting this time! :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
don't feel bad about using what is available to you. deer cause terrible damage and yes, the herds must be thinned down.

Tony hunts and I do not like the "strong taste" deer meat...LOL....I need that one that is "just perfect" but seasoning and prep does make a difference of course when cooking.

I never checked into crop damage permit? Did it cost you much money? or it is "given" to farmers?

just wondering?