Deer Season is in-Bow Season

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh no we don't join or have to join those clubs

we have 120 acres that is attached to like another 500 for the friend of ours who farms, and we all hunt each others lands. we have tree stands on their property and they have tree stands on ours..LOL

We have alot of free hunting areas still near me.

But those hunt clubs are on like 1000 acres or more and they truly control their deer population---plus they make sure there are trophy animals. And they add things like wild boar etc. All fenced in and super fancy clubhouse etc. Maintaining those animals on hunt club land is alot of money and work and if winter is harsh etc. they set out hay and such. They truly take care of their animals for the clubs members for hunting.

There is a nice one on like 6,000 acres in SC. I think the initial to join is $10,000 for life and then like $3K each year as dues. WHEW....couldn't handle that one ever..lol Whenever we drive by that area Tony gets that gleam in his eye that he wants to join...hmm..not happening..LOL

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I love to hunt but I only go during gun season. I hunt with a 30.06 and my goal is to kill 2 does this year to grind minus the tenderloins.

We don't do hunt clubs. Tried it once and it just left a bad taste in our mouths. Lots of clubs around here run dogs and I just don't like that. I much prefer to still hunt. We have enough family land to hunt on that we usually don't have to worry about finding a spot.

Last year I had a bald eagle land in the tree next to me while I was hunting. It was breathtaking!

I even hunted when I was pregnant with both of my children. Killed a doe when I was pregnant with my son and killed a buck and a doe when I was pregnant with my daughter. One was a head shot! (see me puffing out my chest.... :lol:) No, i got lucky with that one, I figured I would miss but made a pretty good shot. I usually go for a double lung shot, most of the deer I've killed have been with a double lung shot, they don't go far.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
sylvie said:
Thanks for the reminder on deer season QA.
I am an avid hiker and need to be more careful about going off trail with my dog. And I totally despise wearing the bright colors for safety because they draw attention to a single woman hiking in the forest..
Amen sister, many of times I too have have narrowly escaped murder by hunter.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I am a fisherman and a trapper. I would love to hunt but I can't get past a few obstacles.

1. I don't like guns. I think it has something to do with them being loud.
2. I can't hit the broad side of a barn with a bow.
3. The people at Missouri fish and game won't let me use a hammer!
1. Guns like you. Don't load them with beans.
2. Don't shoot at barns or does the sight of them make you see red?
3. My ex wife has my hammer, wears it kinda like a Mohawk.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
2dream said:
You hunt someone elses land around here you will get shot and it won't be an accident and they are well within their rights. Anyone with enough land to hunt around here either (a) does not allow hunting or (b) leases it to a hunt club. If you get caught hunting where you are not suppose to be its off to jail you go and they might even keep your guns and your vehicle. Now if a deer happens to walk across my front yard I can shoot it and I don't even need a license or a tag.
That is true most anywhere, a few years back six people got killed in Wisconsin for the very same reason but now after being in Kentucky for the last two years it is the difference between night and day and god forbid if you wonder onto a tobacco farm. At least in Wisconsin they cuss at you before they shoot, here it is just a ventilated forehead without warning.

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
xpc said:
Farmfresh said:
I am a fisherman and a trapper. I would love to hunt but I can't get past a few obstacles.

1. I don't like guns. I think it has something to do with them being loud.
2. I can't hit the broad side of a barn with a bow.
3. The people at Missouri fish and game won't let me use a hammer!
1. Guns like you. Don't load them with beans.
2. Don't shoot at barns or does the sight of them make you see red?
3. My ex wife has my hammer, wears it kinda like a Mohawk.
:gig Ok xpc..'fess up-how much sugar have you had today?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
xpc said:
2dream said:
You hunt someone elses land around here you will get shot and it won't be an accident and they are well within their rights. Anyone with enough land to hunt around here either (a) does not allow hunting or (b) leases it to a hunt club. If you get caught hunting where you are not suppose to be its off to jail you go and they might even keep your guns and your vehicle. Now if a deer happens to walk across my front yard I can shoot it and I don't even need a license or a tag.
That is true most anywhere, a few years back six people got killed in Wisconsin for the very same reason but now after being in Kentucky for the last two years it is the difference between night and day and god forbid if you wonder onto a tobacco farm. At least in Wisconsin they cuss at you before they shoot, here it is just a ventilated forehead without warning.
Remember that far too well, several of them were friends of close relatives. I didn't know they were on someone else's land though. Oh well, live, learn, or die. :p

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
xpc said:
2dream said:
Remember that far too well, several of them were friends of close relatives. I didn't know they were on someone else's land though. Oh well, live, learn, or die. :p
They were not on someone else's land, the uninvited hunter was on theirs and murdered everyone who tried to make him leave.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I hunted as a 'youngun' , but haven't in eons. I'm great with a pistol (accuracy)but awful with a rifle. The military was not impressed with my rifle skills, LOL. Currently, I have taken an interest in bow hunting. We just recently visited a Bass Pro Shop to learn my draw length, and pound pull. I was shocked.......anyway, with our future plans underway, I want to learn how to bow hunt. My father alway loved it, and used to say "Anyone can shoot something with a gun, but you have to actually hunt with a bow. Again, I couldn't hit a thing with a rifle, so I think he might been a bit off on that one! :lol:

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
2dream said:
Once upon a time in a land far far away. LOL I hunted most everything in most every season. I loved to bow hunt and still own a bow. Doubt seriously I could pull the thing back now much less hit anything with it. Its been almost 4 years since I drug it out and even target practiced.

Hunting around here is to much trouble. I would have to either join a club which cost $1000's of dollars a year or hunt at one of the Dept. of Wildlife game habitats which is to dangerous. I am not going into the woods with a bunch of people who have guns or bows and probably very little sense. I want to know who I am in the woods with, and I want to know they are safety nuts that always know exactly what they are shooting.

As far as the Mississippi hunting clubs go - amazingly - a lot of them still will not take women members - and a lot will not even allow a husband to bring his wife along except for designated weekend hunts. And the reasons for this are: 1. It makes the other non hunting wifes jealous and then the husband catches flack about a woman being at "THE" male domicile. 2. Hunting camps are male get-a-ways from women. 3. Women with guns are dangerous.
Hehe, yeah that is typically true. I was lucky enough to be the daughter of the cook for a non-typical hunting club. The man that owns the land has 4 daughters, every one of them tomboys like me ;) Soooo, 2Dream, I got access to land if you want to dust off your bow and come on up :D

Latest posts