Deer Season is in-Bow Season

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I am a fisherman and a trapper. I would love to hunt but I can't get past a few obstacles.

1. I don't like guns. I think it has something to do with them being loud.
2. I can't hit the broad side of a barn with a bow.
3. The people at Missouri fish and game won't let me use a hammer! :ep :lol: :gig

Someday I would like to learn to use both a bow and a gun with more accuracy.
:yuckyuck

Or with ANY accuracy from the sounds of it! :gig

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I am a fisherman and a trapper. I would love to hunt but I can't get past a few obstacles.

1. I don't like guns. I think it has something to do with them being loud.
2. I can't hit the broad side of a barn with a bow.
3. The people at Missouri fish and game won't let me use a hammer! :ep :lol: :gig

Someday I would like to learn to use both a bow and a gun with more accuracy.
Farmfresh....the loud BANG of a gun, is why God invented earplugs :gig :gig

As far as you not hitting the broad side of a barn with a bow???
Try taking this little test.
http://www.ehow.com/how_11347_determine-dominant-eye.html
Everyone knows if they are right or left handed, but THIS will determine if you are left or right eye dominant. It can make a WORLD of difference in how you shoot. :thumbsup

My wife is right handed but left eye dominant, and once we figured that out, and fixed the problem, she really began to enjoy trap and sporting clays.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/196_ds.jpg

Kids with guns are dangerous. Not women..LOL
It took me a while to responed FC cause I was still recovering from that wound. The advantage of being a purple stuffed toy is -
TAADAAAAAAA
You recover with a few stitches. LOL

Actually the reason I don't hunt on public hunting grounds has a lot to do with kids. Old enough to hunt by themselves but to young to realized that they can't just shoot at whatever moves.

The hunting camps that I have looked into around here that do accept women are always full plus the fees to belong are outrageous. Anywhere from 2 to 3 thousand a year. In my previous life all I had to do was walk out my back door. Now its just either to expensive or to far away to be worth my while.

There are some that require DH and I join as a couple. Well he don't hunt so - that pretty much leaves that option out. Plus then we are back to high fees.

QA - I like your #3. Now thats funny - I don't care who you are. LOL

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
2dream said:
FarmerChick said:
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/196_ds.jpg

Kids with guns are dangerous. Not women..LOL
It took me a while to responed FC cause I was still recovering from that wound. The advantage of being a purple stuffed toy is -
TAADAAAAAAA
You recover with a few stitches. LOL

Actually the reason I don't hunt on public hunting grounds has a lot to do with kids. Old enough to hunt by themselves but to young to realized that they can't just shoot at whatever moves.

The hunting camps that I have looked into around here that do accept women are always full plus the fees to belong are outrageous. Anywhere from 2 to 3 thousand a year. In my previous life all I had to do was walk out my back door. Now its just either to expensive or to far away to be worth my while.

There are some that require DH and I join as a couple. Well he don't hunt so - that pretty much leaves that option out. Plus then we are back to high fees.

QA - I like your #3. Now thats funny - I don't care who you are. LOL
Jeesh! You just need to come camp out here with us during hunting season :D

I didn't realize some places require you to belong to a hunting camp to hunt!

I tell you, there was a time when I was expected to be sitting at home, cooking the meals and keeping the coffee hot so the "men" could go do the hunting. Ticked me off so bad. When I told Ernie I wanted to go with him and learn, he was surprised, but he took me. :) Hardest part for me was the gutting.....that and the first time I fired the shot gun I landed on my back side. :rolleyes: Ernie said I was supposed to keep my eyes opened.......... :gig

He was soooo mad! I tell ya, I never closed my eyes again! Still got knocked on my butt, though!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
Farmfresh....the loud BANG of a gun, is why God invented earplugs :gig :gig

As far as you not hitting the broad side of a barn with a bow???
Seriously now. I am learning how to shoot (with earplugs AND shooter earmuffs) and doing better. I have a lot of fear to get over with it from childhood however. My grandpa was the one who originally taught me to shoot. Nothing like having a mean old drunk teaching a little kid about guns. You know lots of cussing... a few threats peppered in and lots of ridicule when you miss. He taught me to water ski the same way! :D

As far as the bow I just don't have the chance to practice much. First I usually borrow a bow from my dead eye D1, since I don't have one of my own and then I have to find time to shoot... which I just don't do. Maybe someday. :)

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The boyfriend and his brother both hunt. The whole family hunts, but they're the two that I live with, lol. They do archery, muzzleloader and rifle. I will get to go hunting soon, which is exciting as heck. I can't wait!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea 2dream

our hunt clubs in this area are like $5,000 to join....way to much!!!!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
yea 2dream

HOLY CRAPPIT!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wrap my head around these hunt clubs???

Ya'll can't just buy your license and hunt where you live???

We just buy our license and tags if we're hunting someone else's land.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
FarmerChick said:
yea 2dream

HOLY CRAPPIT!!!!!!!!!!

You hunt someone elses land around here you will get shot and it won't be an accident and they are well within their rights. Anyone with enough land to hunt around here either (a) does not allow hunting or (b) leases it to a hunt club. If you get caught hunting where you are not suppose to be its off to jail you go and they might even keep your guns and your vehicle. Now if a deer happens to walk across my front yard I can shoot it and I don't even need a license or a tag.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
2dream said:
Quail_Antwerp said:
FarmerChick said:
yea 2dream

HOLY CRAPPIT!!!!!!!!!!

You hunt someone elses land around here you will get shot and it won't be an accident and they are well within their rights. Anyone with enough land to hunt around here either (a) does not allow hunting or (b) leases it to a hunt club. If you get caught hunting where you are not suppose to be its off to jail you go and they might even keep your guns and your vehicle. Now if a deer happens to walk across my front yard I can shoot it and I don't even need a license or a tag.
WOW!

I'm thankful for where I live!! LOL Most of the time, we just ask a local farmer for written permission to hunt their land. They either say yes or no, sign the slip, and off we go. There is one local farmer here, he hates (and I do mean hates) the deer because they eat most his corn crop every year. He wants all the deer gone and gives us permission to hunt it every year. He's even joked-and I used that term lightly-that we don't need to wait for deer season. We're not fond of poaching, or jail for that matter, so we always laugh it off.

Unfortunately, there are those around us, though, that have no problems with poaching the deer. :(

ETA: we don't usually have a problem with giving people permission to hunt our property, it's just ask us first, don't just do it.