Del Monte recalls canned corn in 25 states, 12 nations, due to botulism risk

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Corn, as with all low acid foods must be pressure canned. I much prefer the texture and flavor of frozen corn, though I've never pressure canned it. As for green beans, I hated canned beans when I was a kid growing up, but since pressure canning my own beans, I really don't care for frozen beans. I absolutely love my canned beans (Fortex) and go into bean withdrawal when I use up the last jar. I try to ration them so I still have a jar or two left when the new crop is coming on.

Dilly beans are a great way to preserve your beans without taking up freezer space or taking the time to pressure can them.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I heard it was hard to can corn because of the high acid? Am I wrong? I have a Ball canning guide but never tried to can it. We always did the blanching and freezer bags.

I like freezing in the husk the best - easy smeazy and fresh garden corn on the cob is awesome during winter months.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think I may do that next year. I know if other people who do that.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think I may do that next year. I know if other people who do that.

A lot depends... if the weather permits me to BT the ears to lessen or eliminate tip worms. If it's rainy BT is less effective so generally speaking, if I get tip worms, I'll cut the kernels off the cob and can them. But if I have a good stand of corn with hardly any tip worms. I'll go ahead and pick the ears, remove the bad outer leaves and vacumn seal, date them and toss in the freezer. Nothing like opening up a frozen ear to find a worm or two :sick

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What's your climate, Creal? I've not been bothered with ear worms much lately. It may be due to the weather or maybe the varieties I'm growing. I choose varieties that are reported to have lots of flag leaves. I've not had to do so, but have read that a drop or two of veg. oil in the tips after the silks are fertilized will kill any ear worm larvae. I have no doubt that it would do the trick quite nicely.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Only down side I can see to that method: It takes a lot of freezer space.

It's not too bad, I have two freezers and chest type and and standup type. Meat goes in the chest freezer and veggies go in the standup. It's not bad opening up the freezer to find a whole shelf of corn on the cob :)

Here's what we froze the summer of 2017. It was a good corn year with big full ears and very little tip worms.
IMG_20170723_144647.jpg

Ready for the freezer. the ears we're long so I had to trim the tips in order to get them in the bags.
IMG_20170723_175349747.jpg

Scraps Chickens love me.
IMG_20170723_165049699.jpg