Del Monte recalls canned corn in 25 states, 12 nations, due to botulism risk

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What's your climate, Creal? I've not been bothered with ear worms much lately. It may be due to the weather or maybe the varieties I'm growing. I choose varieties that are reported to have lots of flag leaves. I've not had to do so, but have read that a drop or two of veg. oil in the tips after the silks are fertilized will kill any ear worm larvae. I have no doubt that it would do the trick quite nicely.

I live in southern IL right on the border of USDA zone 6b and 7. Lots of farms around me, they alternate between soy beans and corn for gasoline. So yeah we have lots of gray moths which hatch into tip worms. I must plant corn early or else it's a total war on tip worms and depending on the weather they may win. Never tried oil but it would take me a long time to to place a drop or two on each ear. With BT I load up my 5 gallon sprayer with water Palmolive orginal (green) and BT and it's a cake walk to apply. I do corn and peppers and tomatoes at the same time to kill off any horn worms also.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Your growing and gardening situation is completely different than mine. It's not even worth it for me to buy the BT. I don't grow enough of those crops to justify. I assume BT has a short shelf life. You are in a warmer climate, and surrounded by corn country. No wonder you have an issue! How often do you need to apply the BT?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Your growing and gardening situation is completely different than mine. It's not even worth it for me to buy the BT. I don't grow enough of those crops to justify. I assume BT has a short shelf life. You are in a warmer climate, and surrounded by corn country. No wonder you have an issue! How often do you need to apply the BT?

BT lasts many years in the bottle. Application depends on the rain. I apply it from first signs of silking up unto a day or two before harvest. Rain washes it away, so it needs to be re-applied after every rain. My problem is if it rains for days, or if we have rain every day, that's when the moths get the better of me.

BT is really my only option because honey bees cover up the tassles and polinate for me. I refuse to use anything that would kill my pollinators, like seven or something like that.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What is BT?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What is BT?

Bacillus thuringiensis BT is a natural occurring, soil-borne bacteria that has been used since the 1950s for natural insect control.

BT kills caterpillar type insects, but has no effect on birds, earthworms, or beneficial insects such as honeybees and ladybugs, when used as directed. It is for use on fruits, vegetables, ornamentals and shade trees. It can be used on edible plants up to the day of harvest.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Where do you get it?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

Where are you at?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Where do you get it?

You could search on-line, my preference is "Garden Safe HG-93190" 16oz consentrate. It shouldn't cost no more than $12 or $13, with free delivery.

Just use as directed, it's good stuff, for cabbage lopers, tip worms and tomato hornworms. I've even used it to kill bag worms on fruit trees. Basically it'll kill any type of catapiller within a day or two.

shopping.jpeg
I

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm in Central Maine. Closest "city" to me is Bangor. Thanks for the reference. I can swing $12 bucks! Will put it on my amazon wish list for the next order. It would be great to be able to grow brassicas without having them chewed to death by worms. And I had issues with caterpillars in my fruit trees last spring.