Del Monte recalls canned corn in 25 states, 12 nations, due to botulism risk

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Amazon had that brand for $18/16 oz. I found this brand, smaller container for $9. Is it the same stuff? I didn't recognize the bacteria listed. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009ONSQ6O/ref=psdc_3737951_t2_B00AA8WYEC

Hadn't ever used that brand before and those prices are way to high. Maybe try tractor supply online. I punched in my zip code and it came up $9.99. You can order on line and have it shipped to the store nearest you for you to pick up. Or you could have it shipped to your house (not sure how much shipping is though).

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...-worm-caterpillar-killer-concentrate-16-fl-oz
Screenshot_2019-01-01-11-53-19.png

I add BT, then water, then Palmolive Orginal (green) to my 5 gallon pump sprayer and apply. Palmolive Orginal (green) is the bees knees for pest control like squah bugs and aphids. If I see stink bugs or cucumber beatles, I also add in Neem, but I don't seem to have much of a issue with them. That's about all I do as far as pest control.

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Will try TSC. I shouldn't have to pay extra for that. But, I pay extra for my chicken feed. Currently, the cheapest layer available to me is $15.00/bag. Folks in the grain belt get much better pricing.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm in Central Maine. Closest "city" to me is Bangor. Thanks for the reference. I can swing $12 bucks! Will put it on my amazon wish list for the next order. It would be great to be able to grow brassicas without having them chewed to death by worms. And I had issues with caterpillars in my fruit trees last spring.

Oh wow your way up there then... Yep your right, totally different gardening.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What kind of sweet corn is your favorite? Ous is honey -n pearl. It's a bi-color hybrid SH2 type and really seems to be consistent grower around here, that is if it doesn't get to much water. Everyone loves the taste of honey -n pearl

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Lazy Gardener, you need to grow a few more beans. :D

I love my vac sealer, keeps freezer burn way down...but, some veggies just do not freeze well for any long term, IMO. Green beans..#1. I don't like them to dry out. I can those. BUT, never packed them with the vac bag, will try this yr. Corn, I can some kernals and I freeze some fresh in husk. YES -- tastes like fresh picked when cooked. A couple worms found? Surprise :rolleyes: They pop out as easy as the silks...just cut a little corn out from all around.

Darn it! I'm ready to eat this stuff. Hey, 1/1/19 -- gardening is only 45-60 days for many and that means ONLY 30-40 days before seed starts!! :pop Think about that. Sure makes it seem closer, right??? :old

You guys living in the "frozen tundra" -- Sooorrrrryyyy. :hide I'd move. I hate cold & snow.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's nice having another New Englander on here! Yeah... we're a long ways from gardening still. Memorial day weekend is usual planting time here, for the bulk of the garden anyway.