Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Doesn't that make you want to scream? I've done the same thing.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Doesn't that make you want to scream? I've done the same thing.
Yes! And the sad part is that is the second one I have done this week. The first one hit the roost and stood still and the bottom was mashed out of it, it was queer looking.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would love to get a hydrant and electric in our barn! I go in, a bucket of water in each hand and a flashlight in my mouth, for evening feeding! Congrats on getting the stalls 90% there! Feels so good to check that off your list of 'need to's' doesn't it?!

Yay, another egg! Hey, BB, I think our light is starting to work now too - 8 today, 5 yesterday and 9 day before that!! Go chicken girls!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
That's why I have one of those headlights. Don't know how many times I've needed to feed the goats in the dark, and it's the only way I can see to do it. The hydrant won't be in the barn, but close enough that I can run a hose in if I need it.

One big thing I noticed yesterday while we were working on this was how much the wind was blocked. And since it was really windy yesterday and I was freezing, I could really see the difference. I left the door to Misty's stall closed and I think-until they get used to this new system of feeding-that I'm going to have to do that. I'll go in thru Licky's stall to shut the gates, then I can open her door and they can all get in w/out a problem.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
I would love to get a hydrant and electric in our barn! I go in, a bucket of water in each hand and a flashlight in my mouth, for evening feeding! Congrats on getting the stalls 90% there! Feels so good to check that off your list of 'need to's' doesn't it?!

Yay, another egg! Hey, BB, I think our light is starting to work now too - 8 today, 5 yesterday and 9 day before that!! Go chicken girls!
:woot

Denim Deb

Reaction score
It's cold out there! I went from home to the farm to church to the farm to home. And, other than feeding my critters, I'm not going out again! There's no PM service tonight, and I'm glad. Quite truthfully, I'm getting to where I don't like to go to the PM service at this time of year. When it's dark out, I want to be home.

Don't know if I've mentioned this on here or not, but at the end of the year, I'm switching churches. There's one that just bought an old Methodist church in a little town I go thru on my way to and from the farm. I've visited it a few times, and really like it.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We got an inch or so of snow last night, and it's sticking! Brrrrrr :lol: It's suppose to be almost 60 by this weekend though :barnie Hate the cold, but really wish Mother Nature would pick something and stick to it a while!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
We have a chance of snow here Tuesday :D
So do we. But, they're not sure yet what this storm is going to do. So tomorrow, I'll be working on finishing my hay shelter. The tarp I had over the RB I have on the pallet floor blew away, so I HAVE to get this done. Biggest thing is, I need to "make" a door. I'll be using a tarp, then putting a big zipper in partway up, and sewing across the top to hopefully keep the tarp from splitting the rest of the way up.

I forgot to mention earlier, I'm really liking the set up I have for the horses now. I'm finding it's better to keep Misty's stall door closed, at least for now. While the door doesn't go all the way to the top, it does help block the wind. And, since her door and Stormy's door face north, it helps a lot. Licky's door faces east. It took them just a little bit of time to get used to the new set up and was much easier feeding. But, I do need to remember to take a bucket strap w/me. It will make it easier to open and close the gate to shut off Licky's stall. Right now, her feed bucket is attached to the wall, and it's in my way.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Well, I didn't get the hay shelter up, so I just took an old tarp and covered the RB really good. This was a fairly large tarp, so I also covered my mower. Don't know if it will actually work on the mower or not. I did get the door cut out. But, it took longer than I was expecting, so I didn't have time to put grommets and the zipper in. And, in order to do that, I need to break out the sewing machine, so it will have to wait. I'm hoping I can do it tomorrow. Then, as soon as it's clear and not too windy, I'll get it done!

I had a bunch of pieces of wood left over from the wall that we took down on Saturday. I hadn't had time to get all the nails out then, so I just threw them into the seeded area. Today, I got all the nails out. The stuff that's no good was thrown over the fence. It's going in my burn pile. The stuff that's still good went into Honey's old stall. I cleaned it out today, and put a rope up to keep the horses out. The chickens are still going in there, but that's it.

When I got home, I went out and started to work on cutting down some small cherry trees in the woods next to me. I was just hoping to get enough for the next couple of days. Got it all cut down, loaded in the truck, then backed out of the woods and into my driveway. Started to cut it up and the chain came off the saw! :barnie I've been having some problems w/it, and just wasn't in the mood to mess w/it, so hubby and I took in some of the stuff we already had in the wood shed, then we unloaded the truck and threw all of that in the woodshed since it's supposed to rain tomorrow. Hopefully on Wednesday I'll be able to get the chain back on, and get the wood all cut up.

Latest posts