Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
BarredBuff said:
I like all eggs of all sizes, my 3 year old hen's eggs are getting pretty large..... :D
We got one today, we're guessing from one of the buff's after the molt, that wouldn't fit in the carton! :ya
I have one hen that lays eggs like that. I've been wanting to get some chicks from her but w/no luck. :hit

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Had the dentist out for the horses. And, he says his son is going to love me. I gave him a loaf of chocolate chip banana bread. :lol:

The good news is, the horses have their teeth done for another year and I only had to pay for 2. The bad news is, the one I didn't have to pay for was Stormy. He had a loose tooth-which the dentist knocked out, but he didn't have anything else worth doing. He's lost teeth since last year, and the rest of his molars are so worn down that-unless he develops a problem-he doesn't need his teeth done again. And, he didn't charge me for knocking the tooth out.

KN was there along w/her son. There was a train derailment near her house this morning, so she packed her (adult) son, her dog and one cat into the school bus she drives and left the area. She had no other way to leave the area. So, since he was there, I had him help me move the bigger pieces of wood into Honey's old stall. The rest I can move by myself.

Once home, I didn't even bother to do wood. I'm going to get a new chain for my saw, and see if that solves the problem. But, w/as much trouble as I'm having cutting wood, I didn't even attempt it today. Instead, I got started on making some rye bread. I've never made it B4, but hubby likes the rye, and he's going to be working a ton of overtime for the next week and a half or so, so I figured he'd appreciate it. I thought he was going to be working late tonight. Well, he didn't! I was going to have dinner all made, the bread all made, etc but it didn't happen. Oh well.

Now, I'm relaxing for a bit. Then, I've got to get up and do some more work. I need to make some dinner. I'm planning chops, but not sure what I'm going to have w/them.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I saw the story about the derailment on the news this morning and wondered if it was by you. Sounded pretty bad.

Good luck with the rye bread!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
My first thought when I heard about it was hubby. He works in a refinery not too far from there, and they do have the trains going into it. So I called him, and he was fine. They weren't affected at all.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Same here. He might drive me nuts at times, but when I can get him to help me, he does get stuff done. I just wish it didn't take so long! :lol:

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Best keep an eye on your water. I understand that one of the cars on the train was filled with vinyl chloride. As we all know vinyl chloride is just one of the precursors of polyvinylchloride and none of that is good for you to have it in your system.
Hope all are well.
Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
Trim sends
//BT//

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Don't know that it will affect our water. We're south by several miles, have well water and that river doesn't tie into ours.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I need to work on making the rye bread. It tastes OK, but it's kind of dense. It didn't really rise much. So, I don't know if I need to tweak the recipe, or if it's just the yeast. I'll have to check the yeast and see if it's still good.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I need to work on making the rye bread. It tastes OK, but it's kind of dense. It didn't really rise much. So, I don't know if I need to tweak the recipe, or if it's just the yeast. I'll have to check the yeast and see if it's still good.
The only trick I know is to use potato water. Dice up a big potato and boil it for several minutes in drinking water...not tap water.
Then use that water for the bread recipe. Works really good for me.
Hope this helps.
Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
Trim sends
//BT//