Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Ugh, I just couldn't do everything. No one was around when I went to pick up my hay-except the guy's wife. She was finally able to get a hold of someone. And since they said they'd be there soon, I went ahead and waited for them. But, I didn't leave from there until the time I wanted to get to the farm. RU helped me unload them and get them into place. But, that's where my easy day ended. I had to cover them. There was just no way around that. They were close enough to the wires that the horses could reach them w/out touching the electric. But, if they're covered w/a tarp, they don't mess w/them. And, it got windy again. It took me forever to get them covered. I couldn't get around 2 of them-they were too close to the fence. So that meant I had to climb up on top of the bales to tie down tarps on the other side. And, there's gaps between the bales. Once you cover them, you can no longer see the gaps. I fell a couple of times. Then, it was hard if I got down behind the bales to get back up on top of them. I finally dragged the ladder behind me. When we have a day w/less wind, I'll get the tarps a bit tighter.

That didn't leave me w/much time to work on the dock. And there was also some spiny pig weed I had to worry about. But, I got the once section done, and started on the next.

Stormy was being a pain while I was doing all this. He wanted to eat. He kept pawing at the gate. I had to chase him off a couple of times. Then when I finally did want him to come in and opened the gate, he took off! And while trying to get him in, the other 2 got in. I get his feed in the stall-but he won't go in! I finally ended up shutting the stall, grabbing a lead, and chasing the other 2 out. It took me several minutes. Once they were out, I was finally able to get him fed. While he was eating, I went ahead and bagged feed, then got wires up around the RBs. I had to move the wires on one side. One bale was out farther than I wanted it to be, but I couldn't get it closer-it was touching the other bales around it. But, it was also touching the wires. Finally got the wires how I wanted them, then checked everything to be sure it was getting a charge. It is.

It was after 3:00 by the time I left. I was going to come home, feed the goats, then work on the garden and wood. Well, I'm too beat. I had a PB and J sandwich and a couple of hash browns. I think I'm going to go to bed real early. I don't think I've gotten a good night's sleep all week and I just want to sleep.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I did not sleep the greatest. Hubby likes to go to sleep w/the TV on. Then, that wakes me up! So, I got up at around 2:00 and went and turn that off. But of course, now I'm wide awake. So, I turned my TV on, but put it on sleep and watched Mystery Diners. I like that show. I did fall back asleep, slept until my normal time, woke up, and went back to sleep until almost 8:00! I feel much better. I'm not making a list of what I'm doing cuz I don't know what I'm doing. It's going to depend on hubby.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Today was productive. We had trouble moving-it was cold in the house! Once we warmed up enough to start moving, we looked at the wood stove. We had to take part of it out and give it a good cleaning, then hubby cleaned the chimney and cleaned the gutters. The wood stove is now working! So, we FINALLY have a fire! It's not supposed to be as cold tonight (last night got down to about 27*!), but at least we'll stay warmer.

Since hubby had the ladder out, we brought it in. We have a light in our entryway that needed the bulbs replaced. And since we have a bi-level, replacing them can be a pain. It's so nice having working light there again!

The chain on my chainsaw needed to be sharpened. But, since hubby doesn't want me to sharpen it, I have 3 spares. I still had one sharp one, so I put that on. I cut a bit of wood, then broke out the splitter and split a bunch. Since most of this is too green to burn, I'm probably going to have to take a day soon and go and cut a truck load of dead.

Fed the goats, then went out to the farm and took care of the horses. Went to the store and got a few things and am now relaxing.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Yesterday about all I did was to relax. I could really use another day of it, but I still have a lot that needs to get done B4 it gets too cold out. Right now, I'm waiting for it to warm up a bit-it's 33* out! But, the sun is just starting to come up, so hopefully, by the time I'm ready to leave, it will be warmer out-I want to take the bike.

My list for today:
1. Fold and put away laundry (done)
2. Practice piano (done)
3. Work in living room
4. Feed animals and bag feed
5. Work on dock and stones
6. Move RB feeder and take down wires-for now, I'm letting the horses have the whole field
7. Feed Stormy, put out hay, take care of chickens
8. Work in yard/garden
9. Work on firewood
10. Feed goats
11. Make and eat dinner
12. Freeze a ton of leftovers
13. Do dishes
14. Work on 4-H lesson for Saturday
15. Collapse

While I'm not even close to where I want to be for a lot of stuff, I can see a difference in how the house looked last year as compared to this, so I know I'm making progress. But it will still be nice when I can get up and not have to work so hard.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I got most of the stuff done. Rather than make dinner, I just heated up some of my leftovers. And, I couldn't do the dishes cuz when I was going to, hubby was in there in my way. So, I'm going to try doing them in the morning instead. I'm going to have to go out in the woods one day this week. I've used up about 1/3 of the wood I have in the house and the majority of what I'm cutting is not seasoned enough to burn. I'm also not working on my 4-H lesson tonight. I'm just too tired. Tomorrow, I have my appointments, so I won't be doing as much physical work. So, I shouldn't be as tired.

I got more of the field done! And, I moved some of the stones. I don't think I'm going to get all of the stones moved, but every little bit helps. I need to remember to look to see where I can rent a rotor tiller so I can do that. I'm hoping I can do that on Thursday. Then, I can put the seed down on Friday. We might get some showers then, so that would be a good time to do it.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Yesterday, I got a call at 7:00 from RU. She was baby sitting her grand kids and there were animals out. So, I had to run over there early and round up horses and donkeys. The horses were easy, the donkeys weren't.

Then I had an allergist and chiropractor's appointments and some shopping to do after that. By the time I got home, I was beat. I didn't even make a fire. Grabbed something for dinner, got on the computer to relax for a bit and went to bed. And, I did not want to get up today, but had to-I have a ton of stuff that still needs to be done. So, here's my list for today:

1. Practice piano (done)
2. Wash and hang out a load of clothes (they're in the washer right now)
3. Put out trash and recyclables (done)
4. Clean kitchen
5. Clean bathroom (should have been done yesterday)
6. Feed animals
7. Finish digging out dock as well as all the spiny pig weed in this section!
8. Pick field
9. Feed Stormy, bag feed, put out hay and take care of chickens
10. Cover hay shelter at home-it's not supposed to be windy
11. Get a load of wood out of the woods
12. Feed goats
13. Make and eat dinner
14. Do dishes (hubby won't be home, so I won't be tripping over him)
15. Work on 4-H lesson for Saturday
16. Collapse

Yesterday, I got tired of waiting for either my hubby to fix my mower or someone to dump my cart full of manure that's been sitting there for moths. I've had both RU and CL tell me they'd do it, and it hasn't happened. So, I decided to try and figure out a way to hook it up to my truck. The rope broke when I got down near where I'm supposed to dump it, but it's dumped! I figure I can rig something up w/a chain. And at this time of year, I normally do take my truck a couple of times a week. So, I'm not planning on adding to Mt. Manure anymore. Instead, I'm going to hook my cart up to the truck when I have the truck there. That makes me feel much better.

It's supposed to rain on Friday. I was going to get a load of wood on Thursday. But, I'm hoping to get a rototiller tomorrow to do that section of my field, and I don't know that I'd then be up to doing a load of wood. For me, that means I have to put the generator in the back of my truck and make sure I have an extension cord. I cannot use a gas powered chain saw-the fumes trigger my Meniere's. But w/the generator, I'm far enough away from it for it to not bother me. Plus, Thursday is Halloween. We don't get a lot of kids (last year, we had 2!) But even so, I prefer to be home when (if) they come. I'm doing something different this year-instead of candy, I'm giving out a package of hot chocolate and a package of PB crackers. I'd rather have that leftover than a bunch of candy that we don't need.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I'm making a change of gears. I did not finish getting all the dock out of the field. And, I don't have time to do it tomorrow. So, since I didn't get the dock all out, I'm not rototilling tomorrow. Friday, it's supposed to be wet and windy. I got to thinking about it. I had wanted to get done so it finished and out of the way. But, the seeds will not sprout until the weather starts to warm up. So, I figure if I wait a bit, hubby can fix our rototiller, I can lime the field like I had wanted to, and hopefully by the end of November, have it done. Plus, I'd also have more time to get the stones out of there as well as get rid of some of Mt. Manure. So, rototilling the field is on hold.

I was going to go in the woods and get some firewood. Well, it rained this morning! So, the laundry that I hung out didn't dry, and it was wet in the woods. I didn't really feel like getting wet, so I decided not to do that. Instead, I worked on getting the stuff I already have cut and split. I'm almost done the first pile that I have. When it's gone, that's where I'll put the dry stuff I get until it's cut as well. And, I'm going to concentrate on the stuff I have already. In all probability, the wood will fill my wood shed. I've been after hubby for a couple of years now telling him we need another one. The one we have holds about 2 cords. That's not enough wood to get thru the winter. But where I want it has a ton of junk as well as weeds. I'll be clearing that out. He's going to have to help me. Much of what's in there I don't have a clue as to what to do w/it. Some can go for scrap. But, I don't know about all of it. So, I'll be concentrating on that section of the yard.

I was going to work on housework today. But, it's supposed to rain on Friday. So, I won't be able to do anything outside. I'll be spending as much time as possible cleaning the house. I'll start in the bathroom, then the kitchen, then the living room. I'll also be making bread. I'm out, but haven't had the time to make more.

I did get the tarp up on my hay shelter. It's so nice to have that done. I've been needing to do that for a few months.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I'm hoping my list for today will be shorter since I'm not going to worry too much about house work. Or if not shorter, at least have easier things on it. So, here goes:

1. Practice piano
2. Do dishes
3. Change sheets
4. Feed animals
5. Pick field
6. Go to Bible study
7. Feed Stormy, put out hay and take care of chickens
8. Work on firewood
9. Work on cleaning yard
10. Feed goats
11. Make and eat dinner
12. Work on 4-H lesson
13. Collapse

OK, it looks really short, like I'm missing stuff. But, I know I'm not, so that's good.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Today was a bit messed up. I had trouble starting my bike this morning, but once it started, it was fine. But, when I went to leave my Bible study, the bike wouldn't stay running. Then, it wouldn't start at all! Tried to call hubby, but no luck. I felt bad asking, but had the lady who runs the Bible study give me a ride home. Once home, I grabbed the truck and went out to the farm. Got Stormy fed, and did everything else I needed to finish, then went back home.

Once I got home, I started to work on the firewood. I finished cutting and stacking the one pile! I also cleaned up a little bit of the yard in that area and got the last of my posts out of the garden and the last of my baling twine wound up. I would have gotten more done, but when hubby got home, we went and got my bike. He was able to get it to start. And, it ran all the way home. But, once I turned in the driveway, it shut off. I was able to get it to start and run long enough to get it near where I park it, then it shut off again. So, I can't use it for now. Hubby said he has to order a couple of parts. Once we get them, I should be good to go.

Hubby "made" dinner tonight. In other words, he cooked pork chops and mushrooms. That's it. I'm still a bit hungry, but am also too tired to make more. I need to work on my 4-H lesson, then get to bed.

I know I posted awhile back that my MIL has cancer. She's not doing good. She may not make the weekend. So, any prayers y'all can say would be appreciated.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Today's the first of November. Doesn't seem possible. So today, I'm going to have 2 lists-the first will be what I want to get done during this month, the 2nd will be my daily list. So, here goes:

Monthly goals
1. Get living room clean
2. Get bedroom clean
3. Start on basement ("library")
4. Start on DD's old room-I need help on this one from both DD and hubby
5. Get front flower gardens weeded so I can move both my asparagus and rhubarb in there
6. Get asparagus and rhubarb moved
7. Once that's done, get that section of the garden all weeded
8. Clean between garden, lean-to and green house
9. Get horse manure in garden
10. Rake leaves, wood shavings, etc up and put in garden
11. Finish fencing the garden
12. Clean out green house
13. Do at least another cord of wood
14. Clean up section of yard where I want to put another wood shed
15. Finish getting dock out of horse field
16. Finish getting stones in stalls
17. Lime horse field
18. Rototill horse field
19. Seed horse field
20. Do last little bit I need to do to run-in
21. Buy and do a ton w/apples-apple sauce, apple jelly, etc.

1. Practice piano
2. Feed animals
3. Go to Nature Center for volunteer meeting
4. Go to church for choir practice
5. Feed Stormy, bag feed, put out hay take care of chickens
6. Go to TSC and Harbor Freight
7. Go food shopping
8. Feed goats
9. Make bread
10. Clean house. I'll be starting in the bathroom and going from there
11. Make dinner (stuffed shells)
12. Do dishes
13. Finish 4-H lesson
14. Collapse

I'm not going to clean the field today. W/the weather and all the running around I have to do, I'm not going to worry about it. Tomorrow, however, is a different story.