Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I could have gone out. It's not that bad out there. I went for a walk in the woods. It was kind of slushy.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I'd say about 6" in most places. It had been around a foot B4 it changed over to rain. And, we could get some more snow tonight. But, after Monday, it's supposed to warm up!

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
As we drove home way too late it was switching back to snow. The rain did pack things down a bit. I'll be interested to see how much more We could have by morning.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
We got another inch or 2 overnight. But, it's supposed to be around 40* today, so that should get rid of more of it! Then tomorrow, they're calling for some more wintry precipitation, a low of 9* Monday morning, then it's supposed to warm up into the 50s! And,it's even supposed to stay above freezing at night! So, I'll finally be able to get some work done in the yard and maybe even get some stuff marked out at the farm.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Just south of us, I saw a lot of bare lawns, so I don't think they got quite as much snow. Here, the snow's down to about 2"! It got almost up to 50* today.

I finally had a chance to sit down and finish my wood carrier. Since I had to figure out how to make it as I went along, it took me longer than I would have liked. But once I was done w/it, I took most of what was left and made one just a little bit bigger for hubby. I gave it to him for his Valentine's Day present. He was actually happy about it. He had been going to buy one, now he doesn't need to.

I was glad to get out to the farm today. Of course, since I hadn't been out yesterday, I had to get everything set up first thing. And of course, I had some horses that weren't overly happy about that. When I was all done w/the horses, I checked on my chickens and I got an egg! That's the first one I've gotten since we got all this nasty cold weather! So, hopefully they'll all start laying soon. I shoveled out a lot of the chicken pen, then dug a path from their pen to the run in. 2 of the girls came out, but that was it. So I got some corn and scattered it along the path. Didn't take too long for everyone to come out. Manged to get my field pretty much all cleaned up, so that was good. Only problem being, I was picking up snow along w/the manure, so that made the bucket a bit heavy.

I didn't really get any housework done today, but at least I no longer have my sewing machine sitting on the kitchen table. Next week it's supposed to warm up, so I'm going to try my hardest to do housework in the morning so I can work outside in the afternoon. I just might be able to get my front flower bed cleaned out so I can finally transplant my asparagus.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
We had warm temps and Sun here today too. We'll see what we get tonight on top of all this... we still have a lot left, down at the other farm they were down to about 6", but it was over my knees this morning here so I don't think it went down that much!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
We are now 1 step closer to getting my new field done! RU wanted a post hole digger for her tractor. They had an auction today of all farm equipment, so we decided to go-including hubby! They had 3 of them there. It's a good thing that we showed up. She wasn't sure what she was looking for and would have bid on the first one. It was too big for her tractor. Hubby looked them all over and was able to figure out that the 2nd one was the right size for her tractor. Plus a guy that he works with was also there and he's very knowledgeable about farm equipment. When he heard what size tractor she has, he looked them all over and agreed. She got this for under $200!

I would have liked to have stayed longer since they had several riding mowers as well, but it was raining, so we left. Hubby was afraid that we were going to get stuck since everything was starting to thaw out. As it was, the auctioneer was in a truck w/a cab that's set up for him to just sit there and someone drives him around. They got stuck-and that was a 4x4! They were able to pull him out w/a tractor. If the weather had been nicer, we would have stayed later.

One thing they did have that I looked at and thought about getting was a mini manure spreader. But, they started the bidding at $300. I wasn't about to spend that kind of money. I don't know what it went for.

Did have one funny incident. There was a guy there that I see at the hay auction. And, he's a bit of a womanizer. I always get the feeling that he's hitting on me. When I said hi to him, he got this big smile on his face and says, Hi Sweetie. Then I told him I'd like for him to meet my husband. The change in his expression and tone was so funny! Hubby missed it, because he had been behind someone else when I said hi, so I told him about it later. We now have a new joke. He keeps saying Hi, Sweetie to me. Every once in awhile, I see the man I married. Maybe if I keep digging hard enough, I'll find him buried in there and let him out.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ahhhh - that's sweet!

A man that I know from work once told me his favorite motto....and he also told me the story behind it:

He and his wife lost a son and in the aftermath their marriage got very rocky and he cheated. Only once he said - and he wasn't using that as an excuse - he said it was a time in his life that he just felt totally lost and alone. After that incident he decided that he wanted to take back control of his life and his marriage and he did. He's a great guy - well-known and loved in our community. His favorite saying now is that "the grass is not greener on the other side of the fence - the grass is greener where you water it, fertilize it and tend to it." I love that - because it's so true!

I hope you and hubby can find more good times in your future. :hugs