Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Duck eggs???? What kind? Even though I had planned to butcher my ducks in Mo. I still loved having them around. Their on my list for this place. Not sure what kind will do best here in the dry heat. Any ideas?

G

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
These are muscovies. The only reason I'm even trying them is because there was one laying when we had freezing temps! I'm not familiar enough w/duck breeds to know which would be best for where you are.

And, I'm trying to get one of my chickens to go broody. If I can, I'm hoping I can add the ducklings to the chicks. It would make my life that much easier, and keep my house cleaner.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I should be getting a lot done now since hubby is working all kinds of overtime. But, I'm not. I'm not getting to bed until late, which means I'm dragging the next day. Tuesday I went back to bed, but couldn't do that yesterday or today. I'm thinking I might on Saturday.

In good news, I heard peepers this morning! And, I have tomatoes coming up! I'm thinking I need to get all my seeds that I've started out in the green house for during the day.. I still haven't gotten that old fridge set up. It was too cold on Monday, Tuesday I didn't have time, and it was too wet yesterday. So I'll probably work on it this afternoon. If it stays warm in there overnight, I'll get stuff in there in the morning.

I'm hoping to get some stuff done outside today. But, I might take a nap when I get home. I think it will help me. Then tomorrow, since I don't have any place I need to go, I'm going to mark out where my new field is going to go. If RU approves it, I'm going to start doing some clean up back there. I just wish my mower was running. I want to make a drag, and drag the field.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I hope that you're able to get going again! I hate that dragging feeling. The weather around here has NOT been helping anybody... cold, warm, wet, gray, freezing! Everyone's aches and pains are acting up and headaches have been plentiful too.
Good luck!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
From a scovey hen out at the farm. She decided to lay when it was bitterly cold out. If I had left the eggs there, they would have frozen solid so I decided to try and hatch them out.

I'm beat! I'm sitting here falling asleep. I don't think I'm even going to read the rest of the threads tonight. I think I'm going to go and stuff the stove, then go to bed.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Today's going to be another busy day. My niece, BW, called last night and wants to come out to the farm. She wanted to come out earlier this year, but w/the winter we had, never made it. I can't say I blame her. But I have to pick her up. She doesn't have a car, and her father needs his. First place I'll be taking her is TSC. I know she doesn't have a pair of rubber boots, and she's going to need them! One thing that I want to do is get "my" field all marked out. She can help me w/that. It's much easier to do w/2 people. Then if RU approves it, I'll start cleaning it up next week! Hopefully we can come up w/enough fence posts so that we don't have to buy a lot of them. I bought a thing of rope the other day, it's 600 ft. That combined w/other rope that I have should be good for marking the outer perimeter. Eventually, this rope will be used when I make my RP. The rope, w/the tax, was $13.19. I figure I don't need the posts higher than 4 ft and I don't need them deeper than 1 ft in the ground. So I'm going to see what broken posts are lying around that are the right size. If I have enough of them, then I won't need to buy any! I'll just need some clips for making a gate. It would be great if I'm able to make this for under $30!

I had been going to work w/Misty today, maybe even ride her. But since BW is going to be there, instead, she's going to work w/Licorice. And while I'm not going to saddle Licky up-she hasn't been ridden in a couple of years, I'll probably saddle up one of RU's horses and give BW a riding lesson. If I had the money, I'd pay for lessons for her. I'm not a riding instructor, but I'll do what I can to ensure she can ride properly.

I finally got the last little bit of wood cut up. So I hope to go today and get another load. And maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to finish getting my flower garden cleaned up! I got some more of it done yesterday and have just 1 small section left! Then on Saturday, I can get the asparagus moved into it! I might also buy some pansies. I love pansies, but have never had any in my garden. I'm getting them this year.

OK, times a wasting. I'd better get moving. I want to clean part of my basement B4 I leave today, and I washed a load of clothes last night so I can hang them out today.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Well, I didn't do it all today. It took us longer at TSC than I was expecting. Even though BW turns 21 this year, she's a petite little thing and most people think she's younger than she is. So we get there and I asked her what size she wore. She didn't have a clue. So, she took off her shoe and we checked it out-size 4 1/2! The ladies boots we were looking at only went down to size 6. The kids boots went up to a size 1. Finally found a pair and they were the most expensive ones they had.

We got to the farm, and it was breezy. Plus, KN was there and she kept bothering me. So, that meant things took me longer. BW cleaned the field while I put out hay and bagged feed. It took her longer than it takes me, but that's to be expected. Then we went back and figured out where the fence lines are supposed to go. That took us longer than expected. By then, it was getting late, so we went up and ate lunch. By the time we were done, it was time for Stormy to get his 2nd feeding-and he made sure we knew! So I fed him, and ran her home. As long as the weather is good, she's planning on coming out every week. So I'm going to have one day when I don't plan on doing anything else so I have the time to spend working w/her.

After taking her home, I went over and got a load of wood. It was B4 4:00 when I got home. I wanted to check the forecast, so I sat down. Big mistake. I just couldn't get moving again for a long time. So, instead of having 2 hours or more to work on unloading the wood and working in the front garden, I had an hour. So I unloaded wood for awhile, then worked on the garden. If I had gotten out there when I'd planned, it would be done. So, I'll finish that up in the morning then get working on moving my asparagus! I'll also try and get my wood all unloaded as well.