Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm so glad today is done! It was one crazy day.

I didn't take the time to make a list today because I didn't have a clue as to how much I was going to be able to do. I doubted that I'd have time to practice either the piano or the clarinet since I wanted to leave early today, and honestly hadn't a clue as to when I'd get home. So I figured if I got to them, that would be a bonus.

The day started out good. I got some more of the kitchen good and clean. I pulled out the last thing against the one wall, washed the wall and the floor there, as well as what I put out. Then finished rearranging that section. I got some of the stuff put away, but not all of it. Figured I'd do that as soon as I got home.

I actually left for the farm close to the time I wanted to! I had time to stop at the bank and the gas station. Get to the farm, get everyone fed and start on the hay. I get 2 texts from PT. I cannot read texts w/out my glasses so I head for my truck to get them. That's when I realized I had left them at home. If it had just been the texts, I wouldn't have worried about it. I would have RU read me the texts. But, since I had choir practice I HAD to have them. So, I put out half the day's hay, let everyone loose and went home.

Once home, I decided to change coats. It was warmer out, and I didn't need my Carhartt. Did that, got my glasses and went to choir practice. I just barely made it on time. After choir, I headed back to the farm. Once there, I put out the rest of the hay, cleaned around the RB feeder and the run in, then gave Stormy his 2nd feeding. While he was eating, I bagged feed, took care of the chickens, finished cleaning the field, let him loose, then left. I had gotten a call from a friend wanting to know if I could come over and give her a hand. She's one person I really don't mind helping. She'll pay me, plus she's the one who gave me my mower and she's given me firewood, even let me use her tractor to get it out of the woods when it was too wet to drive back there so I headed to her house. It took me 2 hours to get done what all she needed help with. I had hoped to get done earlier since I didn't want hubby to know. I never let him know when I could be getting a few bucks if I can help it. Otherwise, he wants me to take less. And I just barely manage on the amount he lets me take. He called just as I was getting done to let me know he was stopping, so I was safe!

On the way home, I stopped at a tack store that I had to go right past. This is not my favorite tack store to visit. But, since the one I normally go to isn't doing much of anything, I wanted to see if they had Stormy's supplement and if they carried the horse blankets I like. They had no supplement, but they do carry the blankets. So, if they have what I want in the fall, I'll be buying a blanket there.

Got home and got the goats fed. Then, I brought in some wood. I hadn't planned on taking any of what I have stacked, but I just didn't have time to do any. So, I just brought in enough to get me thru the night. W/that done, I started on putting stuff away. That didn't take me long, but I still needed to wash the floor and do dishes. Hubby came home just when I was putting stuff back after the floor dried. He got a shower, and went out again. So, I waited until after he left and did some dishes. Now I'm finally able to relax!

Oh, and the text from PT was she wanted me to put out hay for her horses because she was going to be late. I was glad I could call her and quite honestly tell her that I had no spare time and wasn't even sure I was going to get done everything I needed to do.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Today, I made my list in my head. I wanted to get to the farm early, but had stuff I wanted to get done B4 I left. So, rather than take the time to make a list, I just basically planned it out in my head. But, this is what I wanted to do:

1. Practice just a bit on the piano and the clarinet-I have special music next Sunday, and we're having a talent night this Sunday, so I just went over that music
2. Feed animals and put out hay
3. Go to Bible study
4. Feed Stormy, take care of the chickens
5. Clean field
6. Work in bedroom
7. Change my mattress for one that wasn't being used
8. Work on wood
9. Feed goats
10. Make and eat dinner
11. Dishes

So, how did I do? Well, I got done everything I wanted to do at the farm. I got done as much as I wanted in the bedroom. I got the mattress changed around. I laid down on the bed a bit, and if felt so much better. I think I'll probably sleep better tonight than I have been. It was still pretty cold out there, so instead of working on wood, I just brought in enough for the night. I just didn't feel like staying out any longer than I needed to. For dinner, I thawed out some of my leftovers, heated them up and ate that. Then, I did a bunch of dishes. I'm still behind, but am almost caught up.

I found that I needed to kill a few minutes, so I folded up and put away a load of towels. I also got my incubator and brought it upstairs. I have 12 'scovie eggs that I'm going to be trying to hatch. Don't know if I'll be successful or not, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'll be setting it up tomorrow and hope to get them in on Saturday morning.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
And that's why I'm going to try for them. If this doesn't work, I'll wait until one of the mamas hatches some out. Then, when they get older so I can tell which is which, I'll steal some of the babies. Don't want to end up w/all drakes!

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I really want a pair of Muscovy's! I found a beautiful, young, breeding pair of cinnamon ones on CL last fall for $25. I REEEEALLLY wanted them, but hubs talked me out of them :(

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Whereas my hubby is all for it. He has guys at work that have told him they'll buy any extras! It's really making me want to get set up down back so I can have a pen for the ducks as well. I won't leave them overnight in w/the chickens. I don't use a chicken waterer since I have no way to keep it from freezing in the winter. Instead, I use one of those big rubber dishes for water. I don't really want the ducks in my water bowl.

It's almost 60*! Right now, I'm eating lunch. But, I've been outside playing in the dirt! I've gotten part of my flower garden cleared out. I've also done some wood. When I go back outside, I'll work in the garden some more, do some more wood, then go to the farm and take care of the horses.

KN called this morning wanting to know if I wanted her to take the blankets off my horses. Of course I said yes. It was so nice to have someone do something for me for a change. It meant I didn't have to go out there as early.

Hubby isn't feeling well. So that means he wasn't able to work on my bike. I so wish he had. I would have loved to have ridden it to the farm this afternoon. It almost kills me when we have temps like this and I can't ride. But then again, I would have needed my Carhartts and they're on the line. Even though I may still need to wear them some this year, I took advantage of the weather and washed them. I couldn't always stand how they smelled.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
They're seasonal. And, I ended up w/14 eggs! They're in the 'bator right now. I seem to recall that they need 35 days, so we'll see if I get any duckies from them.