Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm tired. Today was a long, tiring day. But, KN and I got stuff done in her yard. Hopefully, we did enough to get the township off her back. Once it warms up and we have the time, there's more that I need to cut down. And, I still need to take my chipper over. She has a large barberry in her yard. I don't want to have to handle that any more than I need to! So, it will be cut and put right in the chipper. Some of the small trees that I'll be taking down are good for firewood.

I had hoped to dump my cart today. If I had known that we were going to get as much snow as we did on Sunday I would have dumped it on Saturday. But, when I checked the lane, there was just too much snow near the gate. There's no way I could have gotten thru it. So, both the mower and the cart have been covered since we're supposed to get more snow tonight.

I was able to get some nice wood home. I didn't have as much time as I would have liked, but I was able to cut down some well seasoned cherry. I stuck it in the wood shed for now. Come Wednesday, I'll start cutting up everything that's in there.

I think I'm going to go to bed soon. I'm having trouble staying awake.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Water is the most important thing when the temps go down this low. Everybody's pipes are freezing. Except outta, lol. DB also grabbed a thermometer to keep in the bathroom so we actually know when the heater needs to be turned up. The bf kept saying low was enough, but i knew that wasn't going to be the case when it got really really cold. I think with the negative temps forecasted, and the fact that we're always colder, I'll probably leave the sink to drip just in case.
Hang in there!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Yep, just been busy and tired. Since I'm not home all day long, it's hard to get the fire to burn properly at times, which means I've been getting to bed late. And it's so cold for this time of year. I'm tired of the cold. To give you an idea of what's been going on, I'll give a brief update.

Tuesday. EH had cataract surgery and wasn't allowed in the barn. So, she asked if I could feed horses for her on Tuesday. Not a problem. The original plan was for me to feed B4 heading to the farm to do my guys. Then it snowed. So she called and asked if I could do some shoveling. I figured Bible study would be cancelled (I was right), so I decided to feed my guys then head over to do hers. Figured if I finished early, I'd just go hide in her house. I get in the barn and hear running water. Someone had tried to turn the hot water on in her wash stall, but it was frozen. So, either they didn't turn it off, or turned it in the wrong direction. Well, the water melted the ice and flooded 2 of the stalls that were in use, 1 that wasn't in use and a stall she uses for storage. She called the girl across the street from her (another of her students) and she and her mother came over. Between the 3 of us, it took us 2.5 hours to get the water all cleaned up, stalls stripped and set back up. Went out to dinner w/CMA.

Wednesday. Some time last year, I got some mini blinds for my shed, but never got them up. I was able to get 2 of them up. I would have liked to have gotten the 3rd one up, but we needed wood. I was able to get the holder in the basement filled

Thursday. It was bitterly cold. So, I planned on going out to the farm for only as long as I had to then coming home. I planned on spending most of the day doing housework. EH called. The person that normally does her stalls was sick. Could I come over and do them. So, I went to the farm, fed my guys then got the last blind up. Then, I gave the shed a good sweeping and straightened it up a bit. W/that done, I took a nap for a bit. After getting Stormy fed, I went to EH's and did her stalls. Ran a couple of errands then went home. I had a meeting at 7:30. When I got home, we barely had any fire, so I had to wait up to get it burning good.

Today. It was cold again. But, I was supposed to work. It was a whole 3* out when I left. I did not want to go out, but did anyway. Worked until about 1:00, ate my lunch and went back to the farm. Got Storm done and went home. Once I got home, I got the fire going and worked on the basement some. B4 I left this morning, I ironed some clothes and did some dishes. I had wanted to clean the bathroom, but was just too tired to. Hopefully, I can do that tomorrow. I'll also be working more in the basement. I need to get seeds started, and I think that's the only place I'll have enough room.

Right now, other than a couple of warmer days, they're calling for this cold to continue into the beginning of March. After that, they're calling for it to start warming up. I hope so.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
It's snowing right now. I feel like I shouldn't be bothered by it since what we've had is nothing compared to what Boston got, but I want Spring! I went out to breakfast this morning. When I got home, I took one look at the radar, got all my heavy clothes on, grabbed my battery operated chainsaw and went out in the woods. I have 3 batteries for it. While I was cutting some from the woods, hubby took my truck and went and got some that's already cut and split. It's not 100% seasoned, but it seems to be burning OK. I'm hoping that between what I got today, what I had that still needed to be cut up, and the stuff that's still a bit wet we might have enough now to last the rest of the winter! I looked at the long range forecast, and it is supposed to start warming up soon. I hope so. It was -4* last night!

After I was done w/the wood, I fed the animals, then hubby drove me out to the farm. He didn't want me driving in the snow. Got them taken care of, and we came home. Now I'm relaxing. I still need to clean the bathroom, but that's it.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
The snow changed to rain overnight. I was hoping there'd be enough to get rid off all the snow. Well, we didn't. And while they've plowed the roads, it's not that safe out there. So, they cancelled church again. That makes 2 weeks in a row. KN can't make it to the farm to feed this morning, so after it warms up a bit, hubby and I will go out. It's above freezing, so if we wait, we should be OK. Then, we'll do some shopping. I'll just have to head out later to give Stormy his 2nd feeding and give them hay. I hope I don't have to do CL's horses as well.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Today was a day when I didn't do much of anything. Hubby went w/me when I fed this morning, then we went out and did some shopping. By the time we left the house, the roads were pretty much clear. It got up to 50* today! So, the snow was melting. There are places where I can see the ground. But of course, w/the melting comes puddles. It's going to get cold again tonight and tomorrow, so I'll be taking ashes out to the farm w/me tomorrow. I may need to put some down in places in my field.

When we got back home, I went out to the farm and gave Stormy his 2nd feeding. CL's horses were nickering at me and wanting to be fed, but I didn't have time. I had to call KN and ask her something. That's when I found out that I was supposed to feed CL's horses today. She said I told you that she was iced in. Sorry, telling me that, and knowing that was getting warm today does NOT tell me that I'm supposed to feed her horses. So, they didn't get fed. If CL wanted me to feed them, she should have called me, not KN. In one way, I feel bad, but in another, I don't.

Once I got home, I got my animals fed. W/them fed, I was able to clear some snow off of a plastic table I have out in the yard, then flip it over. It still has ice in the underside. I took the legs off months ago, and I know where they are. The ice should melt now. I had had it propped up against something B4, but the wind blew it over, then it got filled w/rain water which of course froze. Once I have more of the basement cleaned this week, I'll bring it in and start my plants on it!

I also brought in some wood, and figured I've done enough for the day. I think I'm going to go to bed early tonight.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Today started out above freezing, but by the time I left for the farm, the temperature had dropped and the wind had picked up. So, it was cold out there! B4 feeding the horses, I turned on the heaters in my tack shed so by the time I was done feeding, it was warm in there. I took my lounge chair out w/me. And, while it didn't work as well as a recliner would, I was still able get fairly comfortable. I'm making a latch hook rug using twine instead of yarn. It will go in front of the door to my shed eventually. After I got done the amount I wanted to do, I took a nap for about an hour. I didn't want to get up, but had to since I had to do wood today.

I was able to get the wood holder in the basement all full. And since I'm mixing the woods, it's burning so much better. I'm hoping that I have enough in there to last until Saturday. That would be nice.

Once I was done w/the wood, I got started on dishes. Hubby dirties them faster than I can clean them at times, but I got most of them done. For dinner, I made myself some Rhode Island clam chowder. I'm thinking of going to bed soon