1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Donation Requests - Support Sumi's Health Recovery Fund - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

Discussion in 'Member's "Self Sufficient Living" Journals' started by Denim Deb, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Oct 1, 2019
    Denim Deb

Denim Deb More Precious than Rubies

I have a canoe, my friends have kayaks, so we go kaynoeing. I can't sit in a kayak due to injuries from a car accident. And, since I take my dog, Callie, w/me, it's probably better that I use a canoe! She loves to go.

2. Oct 1, 2019
    Lazy Gardener

Lazy Gardener Super Self-Sufficient

Great. My last dog used to go kayaking with me. My cockpit was big enough so that she could sit behind me. I chose that kayak specifically so it would work for kid/dog passengers. It worked better with kids, as they didn't keep leaning over the side to drink the water! My current dog is too high strung. Though, I may continue to work with her on that.

3. Oct 5, 2019
    Denim Deb

Denim Deb More Precious than Rubies

Callie has been going w/me since I first got her. She really wants to get out at times. This year, she didn't jump out any, last year, she did.

frustratedearthmother likes this.
  4. Oct 9, 2019
    wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Almost Self-Reliant

My husky used to insist on going fishing with me. She would sit still on the front seat of the boat and watch my lure hit the water and wait for a fish to take the bait, she would get all excited as the line would move through the water. The when I lifted the fish out of the water - she would come over and "taste" it - sometimes just a little lick, sometime she would gently grab the tip of the tail. Kinda gross, but the fish all went into the live box and dog germs were washed off. When I would fillet them for supper, she would get a couple of skins for a snack. She loved fish!

5. Oct 9, 2019
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

I used to have a dog that loved to fish too. When that bobber went under she would get so excited. Once, and only once, did she go in the water after it. She figured out pretty quickly that the water was cold and it was too hard to try to scramble back up on the dock. Silly dog!

Mini Horses likes this.
  6. Oct 10, 2019 at 1:28 PM
    Lazy Gardener

That would have gone viral on you tube!

frustratedearthmother likes this.
  7. Oct 10, 2019 at 11:04 PM
    wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Almost Self-Reliant

One of our neighbors had a huge Boston Terrier that liked to take walks with the neighbor and his black lab. He would toss the ball and both dogs would race for it - occasionally the Boston would get it and bring it back. One day the guy walked to the pond and threw the tennis ball in for the lab - only to realize too late that Boston Terrier's sink not swim. She ran into the water and just disappeared. He ran in to save her just as she came flying out of the water and headed home at full speed. As he told my friend later "there ain't no float in that dog".

8. Oct 11, 2019 at 1:09 AM
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

That made me snort my wine, lol!! :lol:

Mini Horses likes this.
  9. Oct 11, 2019 at 7:54 AM
    Britesea

Britesea Sustainability Master

basset hounds don't swim either

Mini Horses likes this.
  10. Oct 11, 2019 at 12:53 PM
    Lazy Gardener

My last dog, a terrier mix HATED the water. Until my son took her in over her head, and cradled her in his arms, walking in the lake with her for about an hour. After that, she loved to swim with "us kids". And would swim out to the float, and climb up the ladder, then jump back in when every one else did. However... when I clipped her long fur at the end of the winter, she lost her buoyancy. The first time she jumped in the lake every summer, with all those guard hairs no longer there to trap and hold air, she sunk like a rock. But, she quickly learned to compensate, and continued to swim until a heart condition decreased her tolerance for the work out of it.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019 at 1:29 PM
    Mini Horses likes this.