Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't think any insect bite itches as long and hard as a chigger bite. My DH says they move around. They gnaw on you one place for a couple of days, then move somewhere else. It makes sense, because I have gotten more bites on days I know I haven't been near a feral chigger.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sounds ouchy and annoying, we don't have them here.

We do have enormous mosquitoes here though, and the places where we like to go camping have the hugest biting horseflies and nasty tiny biting blackflies.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've been treating the bites w/vinegar, and they stopped itching-until I got more on me yesterday. My ankles started itching a bit yesterday afternoon and when I got home and took off my socks, I saw a couple of them walking around on me, so I know I got more. (And I needed a magnifying glass to be sure they WERE chiggers!)

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I was so glad that no one took any videos of me today! We had an open program again. Today, we were talking about bees. We looked at the material that we had, and figured we needed something more. Well, I was poking around and found a small book on bees. And, it told how the bees "danced" to lead others to a good source of nectar. So, I found myself leading the kids on a bee dance. The kids enjoyed it, thought it was a lot of fun, but I'm sooo glad that no one took a video of me!

Last year at this time, I was counting down the days until I was done working on the horse farm. And while I'm counting down the days again, it's not the same. This job I will miss. I only have 11 days of work left.

About the only thing I won't miss is the hours. Today I started working around the house at around 5:00. Then went to the farm fed everyone and started to weed. Went to work, but only took a half hour lunch so I could leave early. I have my 4 H club coming over tomorrow night for a cook out and had a ton of stuff I needed to get done. Between work, the weather, people being away and my mower not always working, I was way behind. I'm still behind, but not as badly. For the most part, there are no weeds around my tack shed and in the area that I'll eventually have fenced. Plus, every place in that area that I could get w/my riding mower has been mowed as well as some other areas. I've gotten a shower, and am now relaxing while I eat dinner. Not sure when I'll get on tomorrow-I'm spending the night at the farm.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I had my 4 H club out to the farm tonight for a cookout. Everyone really enjoyed it. We cooked drumsticks, potatoes and corn on the cob over the fire. That along w/a salad made a good dinner. Then, we made s'mores for a tasty dessert. I could have really used another day or so to get everything really looking nice out there, but just didn't have the time.

I was going to spend the night. So, when everyone left, I got stuff put away in my tack shed, put out the fire, got changed and prepared to relax. It was starting to thunder and lightening, so I got out my laptop. I wanted to check out the radar. I've always been able to get on at least for awhile out there. I just didn't have a good signal, and at times would lose it all together. Well, I can no longer get on.

W/no idea of what the weather was doing, I couldn't have the windows opened. They're too hard to open and close and I really didn't want to be doing that if it suddenly started to pour. W/out the windows opened, it was stuffy in there-which meant I couldn't sleep. I finally gave up trying, and just came home. I should be sleeping now, but I don't have to get up in the morning, so I"m not worried about it.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I slept until 7:30 this morning! Guess I was really tired. And, we did get some rain last night. I'd say we got a good inch. There's puddles all over, and it's cooled everything off. Right now, it's really pleasant out. I didn't want to come home tonight after I fed Stormy. Coming home, I kept smelling all these fires, so I know other people had fires going. (They were wood, not charcoal.) It was so nice out that I just wanted to make a fire, relax in front of it, then go to sleep. Won't be too much longer B4 I'll be able to relax in front of a fire more-it just probably won't be dark.

Hubby and I went out for awhile today. Went into Wally World since I'm now officially looking for a net book. They had one-an Acer. That's the kind I was thinking of getting, but it's now been crossed off the list. Hubby was saying something about wifi, gigabytes, etc. He knew what he was talking about, even though I didn't! He knows what I want to do, and knew that it wouldn't work. So, I guess I'll keep looking.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I needed to clean the waterer for the chicks. So, I opened that section, got the waterer, closed that gate, then went out of the pen. I closed the bottom section of the gate-but not the top. This is what I normally do, and none of the chickens have ever even tried to get out. Well, today was different. I get back w/the nice, clean watered to find 3 of my hens out! So I real quick get the waterer in w/the chicks then grab my can of cracked corn and sunflower seeds and start calling them to come in while I scatter the goodies around. 1 hen managed to get back in w/no trouble. But the other 2 couldn't quite figure it out! They were running all around the outside, but not coming NEAR the gate. So, I went out, went way far around them and was able to herd them back in. Then I closed both the top and bottom of the gate real quick! So, they're all back in jail.

When I got home, after feeding the goats and the bunnies, I went to check on my garden. I haven't even bothered in a couple of weeks. I don't really have anything in there except for a few tomatoes, a couple of peppers, some brocoli and an egg plant. Then, I have a bunch of pumpkins and gourds that came up on their own, and have basically taken over everything. Well, I found 3 small pumpkins that were orange and had dead stems. So, I picked them! And, I have at least 7 more of various sizes! I also have some small tomatoes, as well as flowers on my peppers and my egg plant. Don't know if I'll get anything out of it, but at least I'll have pumpkins. :D

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Pumpkin pie...I can almost smell it baking in your oven already. My garden isn't much this year either, a few tomato plants that sprung up from last years leftovers is all I have. Shame on me:) Your job does sound like fun, and I would miss it too! Sounds like you are keeping very busy as always, hard work and some play. It has been an up and down summer here, the heat was outrageous this year, and no rain for 8 weeks straight. The sun just seemed so different this summer, alot of people in the area not feeling well because of the heat. Thank goodness the cooler nights have begun and we have finally seen some much needed rain.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I'm hoping I can find a recipe for this pumpkin bread they sell in the Amish market. They have it rolled up around some kind of cream cheese filling. It taste delicious, but is too expensive to buy. (I had a free sample once.)