Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Would you call that 'the universe balancing itself'? You have a really good day at work, and the rest of your day is stinky!

Wish I could find a job I enjoy as much as you do yours! Wonder if anyone will pay me to play on the computer and spoil their animals?! :D

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Only problem being, I only have 3 weeks and 1 day left. :/

If you find someone to pay you to play on the computer and play w/the animals, LMK! That would be a good job too!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I was going to take the bike this morning, but they're showing rain off to the west. We have a good chance of some thunderstorms today, so I guess I have to take the truck. That will be the 2nd time this week. :hit And, the last time I took it, it didn't rain.

I did figure out what I need to get for the gate, I'm just not sure when I'll have the time to get it. (Plus I don't want to have to take the truck. I would use about a gallon of gas going to TSC and w/the price of gas now, I prefer to take the bike as much as possible!) But, they have a hook that looks like a J that works well for gates. I need one of them.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Today was a slow day at work. JT wasn't feeling well, so she took the day off. I had been going to go out in the canoe and explore the far side of the lake for awhile, but we were threatened w/thunderstorms, so that was out. I have a whole list of names and e-mail addresses to add to the computer, but haven't a clue as to how to do it, and so far, no one's had the time to show me, so that was out as well. I was alone in the nature center, but I wasn't alone.

One of the first things I had done when I got to the nature center was to put some bird seed out on the deck. Even though it was cloudy, I still had quite a number of visitors. It probably goes w/out saying that I had squirrels. While I don't like it when they chew up my feeder, they can be fun to watch. And, today was no exception. There were at least 3. One would be sitting quietly eating when another one would come up. That's when the games would begin w/one chasing another one, thru the rails, up over the top and back down again until they tired of their games and all 3 would sit peacefully eating.

Occassionally, I'd see a flash of red when a male cardinal would come to grab a quick bite, then take back off. Less frequently, the female would be seen, but she'd rarely come to the deck.

A family of young titmice were also frequent visitors. Since, they're not quite full grown, the tufts on their heads aren't fully in. They look about like someone took a pair of scissors and snipped it off.

No family of titmice would be complete w/out their distant relative, the chickadees, hanging around as well. But, there weren't as many, nor did they come as often.

Beyond the deck in the trees, I could see a white breasted nuthatch climb the trunk of a tree, circling around it in it's quest for food. Occassionally, I'd have another bird fly quickly up to the deck, grab a bite of food and take off B4 I could see for sure, just a small, reddish brown bird. It could have been a wren, or some type of sparrow.

The storm did come up, and everyone fled for shelter. Later, the squirrels came back as well as a ground hog, and the games started all over.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
are the wrens shaped similar to nuthatches but brown? I think I had some in the yard this morning hopping around, they are playful birds!

We got some rain, too, but still NOT enough to register in my rain gauge :(

Denim Deb

Reaction score

lazyday

Power Conserver
Reaction score
HI Denim Deb, maybe you can help solve this mystery bird that has been coming around my water fountain the past couple of weeks. When I first seen it I thought Oreo family but I have not found it in my bird book yet. It is the size of a Baltimore Oreo but is olive in color but can't tell if it has more color then this because it is skittish. What do you think it could be?

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Not knowing where you are, and w/out seeing a pic, I can only make a guess. It could be either a female or young male orchard oriole. They're more of an olive green color. If you're able to get a pic of one, I may be able to ID it.

lazyday

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I will try and get a picture. I live in MO. and we do get Baltimore Oreo's when they are migrating thru in the early spring just right before the humming birds show up. Thank you for the help