Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
OK, you can tell I'm a nature nerd. We had an insect flying around in the house tonight. And, instead of getting all freaked out, I got excited. I was pretty sure from the apperance that it was an adult antlion. Years ago, I saw one flying (they fly at night), but other than seeing a dead one, had never seen one up close. I see evidence of the larvae all the time. (They're also called doodle bugs) Well, I was able to catch it in a jar, then look it up on line and sure enough, it's an adult antlion! Wish I could get a picture of it, but I'm not sure how I can get one. I'll be letting it go. They eat mosquitoes, so I don't want to kill it or have it die.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm right there with ya on the nature nerd thing, Deb! :hugs

Those pumpkin rolls are to die for!!! :drool My mom has been making them for the holidays the past 2 years and I could eat a whole one by myself! :lol:

lazyday

Power Conserver
Reaction score
DD, I hear ya.......I can not bring myself to kill any kind of insect or animal unless it is to be eaten or if it is a roach,brown recluse mice ( inside the house) or something that is destroying my plants.
I have or had a house spider haven't seen it for a while. I will have to look up antion not sure what they look like:

Ok, just looked it up. I call them sand lion no clue where I came up with that but glad to know it is called antion

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Got to work today B4 JT. So, I open up the nature center, put food out for the birds (squirrels), and look on the calendar to see if we have anything scheduled. I was pretty sure we didn't but thought it wouldn't hurt to double check. Nothing. And, there's still no sign of JT. TD comes in. She kind of bounces around between the different county parks, but her office is there. She did't know anything about JT not being there, so we check the answering machine. Well, JT decided to take a sick day. OK, that's fine, I don't mind in the least-but she didn't leave any work for me! So, I decide to go out in the canoe. I wanted to check out the back of the lake to see if the water level was up enough to canoe in the one section-it's not. Plus, I wanted to check out to see what kinds of trees we have growing on the far side-mainly white, black and southern red oak.

I go back across the lake, and paddle along the edge. I saw some fishing line all tangled up in the trees, so I removed it. It was getting close to lunch time, so I paddle up to the beach and get out. I'm met by both the heads grounds keeper and one of the rangers. I lock up my canoe, and start heading up to the equipment closet to put away my stuff. There's a woman there w/a couple of kids. She asks the ranger if he knows what birds are normally there. Both he and the groundskeeper say, "Ask her". So, I start telling her the different birds I had seen that day as well as ones that are normally around. Then I ask her if she wanted to know anything else. Well, she has a group coming over on Friday and is planning on having a scavenger hunt. So, then she wants to know what's growing. So, I start naming the trees, pointing them out, as well stuff as stuff growing along the side of the lake. I don't think either the ranger nor the groundskeeper realized I knew so much!

I was talking to the groundskeeper later, and he tells me I'm too good to be working at the park in the capacity I am! He thinks I should be working someplace as the senior naturlist.

I know he's not the best one to judge that type of ability, but it sure was nice to have someone telling me that.

ETA: Oh, and in case you're wondering, oak leaves are NOT the best substitute for toilet paper!

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It is always nice when others notice your talent ;)

BTW, :drool on the pumpkin roll! I want to make one now!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Me too! I just need the time.

lazyday

Power Conserver
Reaction score
DD, they are lucky to have you and your knowledge maybe there will be a promotion one day soon for you.

On another note I have not been able to get a picture of the mystery bird yet. I sit out by the water fountain with my camera and it has not returned but when I came home from work yesterday there it was in the driveway getting a bug.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
lazyday said:
DD, they are lucky to have you and your knowledge maybe there will be a promotion one day soon for you.

On another note I have not been able to get a picture of the mystery bird yet. I sit out by the water fountain with my camera and it has not returned but when I came home from work yesterday there it was in the driveway getting a bug.
No chance for a promotion, it's just a summer job. Next Friday, I'm done. In some ways, I'm glad, in other ways, I'm going to miss it.

I know what you mean about not being able to get a pic! Isn't that the way it always works?

Another day w/no kids in. The group that was supposed to come cancelled, so I took a walk in the afternoon and got some more pics for the project I'm working on. And, I saw a pair of fawns again. During the morning, I worked really hard. I had to make some copies of coloring pages for the kids. Messed up a couple, so I did some coloring. :hide