Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I just took brownies out of the oven. I'm getting ready to eat one w/a nice, cool glass of milk. :drool

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sounds like a productive day, especially the brownies part... :th

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I got to the farm tonight and no one was around. Plus, there were no chickens running loose in either my field or the parking area. It was nice, quiet and peaceful. So, I decided I was going to take a chance and let my chickens out. I've been giving them some cracked corn and sunflower seeds mixed and calling them whenever I put it down, and they all gather around me, so I decided to take a chance. Last time I tried, it didn't work. They all headed back for the area I used to have them in, and the one ran and joined RU's chickens! :barnie I had to wait until it started to get dark, then catch them when they tried to roost.

Well, tonight went much better! They stayed together as a group for the most part, either in my field or in the parking area! And, when I went to call them, they came running. Only problem being, they were on the other side of the fence and at first couldn't out how to get back in. So, I went out and called them. Almost all of them figured out what to do. The only exception? Ralph. I had everyone in but him. And, he WANTED to be in w/his girls, he just couldn't figure out how to get him. I had to chase him in. But I noticed I was actually able to run easier! So that at least was a good thing. :D

While I won't let them out during the day yet, I will start letting them out when I get there in the afternoon. And, once I finish up w/the gates, I'll let them out during the day when I'm not there as well! I'm hoping this will help me w/my feed bill.

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
LOL! Chickens that have NO problem figuring out how to leave a pen are hilarious to watch when they want to get back in. Somehow door=out does not convert to door=in inside those little feathered brains. Repetition is key, I think. Whatever helps lower the feed bill!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I'm hoping that they figure it out fairly quickly. I'm getting too old to round up chickens. They're not as easy to move as horses! Of course, I could be really sexist and say something about men since Ralph was the only one who couldn't figure it out. :D

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Today starts my last week of work. (Of course the naturalist did say if no one said anything, maybe I should just keep working. :lol: ) And today we started doing tours of all the county parks. Didn't have a big group today, probably because of the weather. We got a few showers while we were touring the park, but found a place to take cover for the worst of it. Funny thing is, this woman has been bringing her granddaughter for the open programs all month and it wasn't until today that I realized I knew her about 30 years ago! She used to be married to one of the sons on the fruit farm I used to work on. And, her boys just loved me. I used to ride dirt bikes w/the one, and the other, though he hadn't seen me in years (like since he was maybe 6?) still remembered me when I saw him at a funeral. The granddaughter is the daughter of the younger boy.

This afternoon, I spent folding newsletters and stuffing them in envelopes. I can fold, stuff and seal about 150 in an hour. I'm not quite done, but hope to be able to finish them in the morning. That's ONE thing I won't miss when I'm done working.

Got to the farm, and let the chickens out again. Ralph did get in a little fight w/another rooster, but nothing bad. I kept an eye on them to be sure. And, he was actually able to find his way back into the pen when I went to close them up. Sissy, however, took her time. I had everyone else shut up, and was getting the last few things done when she went running for the door. At least it was B4 I left.

The horses really liked the RB I put in last Wednesday. It's almost gone! I don't have time to put a RB out tomorrow (I have my doctor's appointments), so I'll be taking a couple of square bales out in the morning. I didn't want to stick them in yet because we might get more rain overnight. But, I backed the truck way up so I won't forget. I also put everything else I need to remember to take out w/me in the truck, plus put the goat feed in the can (used the last the old bag tonight), and put gas in my bike. I've been filling up a 5 gallon can when I go for gas in the truck. Makes it much easier since I don't have to go to the gas station every 2, 3 days.

I'm beat. I still have to have dinner, get a shower and wash some clothes. Not sure how long I'll stay on tonight.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Today we went to another county park. This one is really different. Most people thing of South Jersey as being flat. And, for the most part, it is. But, not where we were today. And while we don't have large, steep hills, there are still some small, steep hills. Plus, it's right next to a golf course. I do not know how far we actually walked. But I will say, I walked farther today than I have in years! Plus, since this is right next to a golf course, the one guy was looking for golf balls. By the time we were done w/the walk, we were all looking for golf balls and giving them to the guy. He was stuffing them in the front pockets of his jeans! I'd say he got well over a dozen!

Since I had my doctors' appointments today, I took the truck. (Plus I needed to take out some hay. My pig horses ate a whole RB in less than a week! :somad ) I don't want to have to take the truck again this week. It's supposed to be nice the rest of the week, so I should be good w/the bike. So, today I brought home all the big stuff I had at the nature center. It really makes the end of the summer seem so much closer.

They've been calling for rain showers all week long. And, I've been checking the radar constantly. They'd show showers supposed to be moving into the area, and we'd get nothing. Today, they showed them all breaking up B4 they got to us. So, I hung clothes out on the line. Of course, by the time I got to the farm, it was raining. :he The clothes still felt damp when I got home, so I threw them in the dryer.

I'm tired. Not sure how long I'll be able to stay away tonight. It's after 9:00, and I still haven't had any dinner. :hit

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You really are suited to that job. Perhaps you should reconsider leaving and make it into something. You certainly seem to have a knack for that kind of work and you sound happier since you started there.
JMHO
Trim sends
//bt//

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
He wasn't one of those guys with droopy, saggy pants, was he Deb? Just asking, since he fit a dozen golf balls in the pockets :D That style drives me up a tree! One of DS#1's friends had on a pair once - big wide bottoms, huge pockets :sick I told him that, if he'd like, I could get out the sewing machine and turn them into a skirt - wouldn't take me but a minute, after all it looked like that was the look he was going for anyways ;) He never wore those pants to my house again :lol: