Design a 30-day SS challenge

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It is January and many of you are in VERY cold temperatures right now, and even in summer, this might not apply to you.

No air conditioning! Here in Texas, the heat can reach triple digits and the humidity is sometimes so thick you can almost cut it with a knife. LOL The AC runs and gives us precious relief. Today's homes are built with electronic controls-right from your smart phone! Many new homes have no windows facing the street, for privacy or safety? Homes don't have air flow considerations like they used to.

In east Texas, in the 1800's houses were built with a "dog run" down the middle with rooms on either side, often with a covered porch front and sometimes on the back. The dog run usually caught a breeze, which was a welcome relief from the heat. People often put their mattress on the porch to sleep at night. The kitchen and maybe a sitting room was on one side of the dog run, bedrooms on the other side.

We can't rebuild our homes, but what if your AC broke? What if it took a couple of days for parts or for a tech to even get to you? Or what if a hurricane or storm knocked out power?

My Daddy's mother, my Grandma, taught me this, Sprinkle the bedsheets with water and turn on a fan. The evaporating water makes a cooling effect that will even have you reaching for a cover. Or, hang a damp towel or bedsheet over a window, the breeze blowing in will be cooler.

Picture from the internet.

1643200939994.png

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It is January and many of you are in VERY cold temperatures right now, and even in summer, this might not apply to you.

No air conditioning! Here in Texas, the heat can reach triple digits and the humidity is sometimes so thick you can almost cut it with a knife. LOL The AC runs and gives us precious relief. Today's homes are built with electronic controls-right from your smart phone! Many new homes have no windows facing the street, for privacy or safety? Homes don't have air flow considerations like they used to.

In east Texas, in the 1800's houses were built with a "dog run" down the middle with rooms on either side, often with a covered porch front and sometimes on the back. The dog run usually caught a breeze, which was a welcome relief from the heat. People often put their mattress on the porch to sleep at night. The kitchen and maybe a sitting room was on one side of the dog run, bedrooms on the other side.

We can't rebuild our homes, but what if your AC broke? What if it took a couple of days for parts or for a tech to even get to you? Or what if a hurricane or storm knocked out power?

My Daddy's mother, my Grandma, taught me this, Sprinkle the bedsheets with water and turn on a fan. The evaporating water makes a cooling effect that will even have you reaching for a cover. Or, hang a damp towel or bedsheet over a window, the breeze blowing in will be cooler.

View attachment 18180

last year the AC was out for several weeks and it wasn't fun, but we survived. Mom is more affected by the heat and humidity than i am. i have a small fan that helps and cool showers if it gets to be too much. the biggest plus for me is that the hotter it is the easier it is for me to lose any extra weight but if you have the AC on too much then i won't lose any weight at all.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
As with any type of life, making sure all living wills, beneficiary (ies), health directives, etc are reviewed and updated as life circumstances change. I know that we have had to re-visit who we would want to care for our children over the last couple years. And make sure that someone other than yourself and/or your spouse know where these documents are stored.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
As with any type of life, making sure all living wills, beneficiary (ies), health directives, etc are reviewed and updated as life circumstances change. I know that we have had to re-visit who we would want to care for our children over the last couple years. And make sure that someone other than yourself and/or your spouse know where these documents are stored.
You can have your will recorded at the courthouse. It becomes public knowledge, but chances are nobody would go look it up anyway. But if the “will” disappears due to family discord that sometimes goes on, it would already be recorded for retrieval.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Thank you! I added it!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

View attachment 18180
when i was a kid we stayed outside because it was cooler than in the house (metal skinned 10x50 mobile home) then at night my brother and i would put a box fan in the window and drape a sheet over it to sleep under.

this was 1996. we were old timey, just poor.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Circling back to this--I am going to make this my 2022 resolutions list as I feel it is a big lift for 30 days. I am going to start chopping away at this list. This week I am inventorying food/water and going to make an appt with a lawyer for will planning.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Circling back to this--I am going to make this my 2022 resolutions list as I feel it is a big lift for 30 days. I am going to start chopping away at this list. This week I am inventorying food/water and going to make an appt with a lawyer for will planning.
Would you please start a thread and comment as you go through the challenge. How you change it, what works, what activities you picked, etc? I would love to see all the different ways the challenge prompts can be applied. I need to start one too. I'm a little overwhelmed but I hope I can start in the next couple weeks.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Would you please start a thread and comment as you go through the challenge. How you change it, what works, what activities you picked, etc? I would love to see all the different ways the challenge prompts can be applied. I need to start one too. I'm a little overwhelmed but I hope I can start in the next couple weeks.
I can do that.