diabetes

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My wife uses Insulin to treat her type II diabetes. It of course has to be refrigerated. If it hits the fan....... Anybody know of anything natural that would help if we could not get her insulin.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thats a tough one. Controlled diet is her best bet. Is there no pill that can help her?

But you could look into MMS. I have read accounts and seen video documents of people who claim to have cured their insulin dependent diabetes with MMS. This will only work if it is not juvenile onset diabetes.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My daughter has Type 1 diabetes which we use insulin for. It doesn't have to be refrigerated but it will keep almost indefinitely if frozen. So, we refill the prescription as soon as we can and now have a small stockpile of the insulin she uses in the freezer. I think if everything went south we could probably get by for as long as a year with the insulin we have and careful monitoring of her diet.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
If low carb is not for her, low low low glycemic works as well. Meaning staying on the straight and narrow. Nothing white....white sugar, white flour, starchy veggies, no juices, even no artificial sweeteners. People have been know to reverse serious health concerns by radically changing their diets.

This is why these diseases are called "lifestyle" diseases. Although some people are more genetically prone to certain ones, the diet and lifestyle can suppress the bad genes and "turn on" the expression of the good genes to support good health....or destroy it.

Not criticizing any individual here......we have all been betrayed by blatantly false information that comes from "trusted" sources. But the good news is that it is usually not too late to make a difference.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
This is why these diseases are called "lifestyle" diseases. Although some people are more genetically prone to certain ones, the diet and lifestyle can suppress the bad genes and "turn on" the expression of the good genes to support good health....or destroy it.
:thumbsup

Genes load the gun, and diet pulls the trigger so to speak.

With my genes, I should never have been in the same ROOM with white flour, sugar and fruit juice let alone lived on it as a kid. Heart disease, strokes, type 2 diabetes, alzheimers ALL run in the family and all can be traced to glucose and insulin issues due to an inability to deal with carbohydrates.

Note to parents: Do not feed your kid white bread, mac & cheese, kool aid, apple juice, breakfast cereal and white rice unless your goal is to make them obese adults :p

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Reminder (I know you know this, wz, just had to add my 2 cents!): even if you are skinny and eat this way, it is building up in your body like a ticking time bomb, and it WILL go off, it is just a matter of when.

Noticed last night that GM is making motorized wheelchairs. What does that say about the health of the baby boomers? I will do all I can to stay on my own two feet for as long as it is in my control. And lifestyle is, to a larger degree. We will see how much damage I did in the past decades.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Note to parents: Do not feed your kid white bread, mac & cheese, kool aid, apple juice, breakfast cereal and white rice unless your goal is to make them obese adults
But, my dh, my sis, his sis and I all ate and drank that stuff growing up, and none of us are obese. Don't get me wrong--I dislike all that stuff and don't have it in my house (cept breakfast cereal, which we are working on), but I'm just sayin'--none of us are fat, no diabetes, not high bp--no chlesterol--nothing.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Personally, I think sometimes you don't really get a choice so it can't really be deemed a lifestyle choice. My three year old got diabetes. Admittedly, since she was a foster child and then our adopted child she was not breast fed but had formula but from that day on she ate pretty healthy foods. Yes, I bake cookies and bread but in just three short years I seriously doubt that she'd had enough of that stuff to kill off her pancreas. She had a very healthy appetite for vegetable and fruit and LOVES meat and still got diabetes. Turns out there are several of her bio family who have the diabetes.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Note to parents: Do not feed your kid white bread, mac & cheese, kool aid, apple juice, breakfast cereal and white rice unless your goal is to make them obese adults
But, my dh, my sis, his sis and I all ate and drank that stuff growing up, and none of us are obese. Don't get me wrong--I dislike all that stuff and don't have it in my house (cept breakfast cereal, which we are working on), but I'm just sayin'--none of us are fat, no diabetes, not high bp--no chlesterol--nothing.
Hey Miss----I sure agree with you!!

It is quantity along with no exercise and tons of junk that make one obese usually. We ate all that and we were not obese ever and rarely does our family have med problems ever. If we do it is more of the hurt shoulder, broken leg type of thing..LOL

While I agree it is not top foods at all, a little never hurts most of us at all. My kid gets treats etc. She is fine and I will moderate like my Mom did.

Mostly great foods, a few nasty foods, and that works for us..LOL

BUT I sure agree that diet controls diabetes very well for alot of people! Straight and narrow is needed though. My MIL can not do the diet part. She is a terrible eater and it went from Dr. saying "control with diet" to pills and diet and now she is on insulin shots.....hmm...the whole while eatings tons of white bread and butter for snacks. :idunno-----what can one do when a person won't take care of themselves to the good?

Moderation is key to everything in life.