diabetes

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
farmerlor, there are always exceptions, and people who's genetic programming is stacked against them. That seems to be the case with your three-year-old, poor thing. And I am willing to bet the farm that you did not put soda in her bottle to keep her happy! You are obviously not the average person.....but rather, well above average. ;)

The average American eats almost a half of a pound of sugar per DAY, and that is not even factoring in white flour and trans fats, which are also implicated. I agree, a little here and there won't cause much harm to the average, healthy person who lives a mostly healthy lifestyle. I will dive right into a piece of wedding cake along with everyone else! And every month or so I am known to binge on chocolate, and I don't bother to read the labels...it is medicinal sometimes! :lol:

I will never consciously pick on an individual, sometimes my fingers fly on the keyboard and I think I am simply saying stuff that most people here are already living or working towards.....most of us are works in progress, myself included. So if it seems that I did pick on anyone, please know that it is not intended that way, in my mind, I am basically preaching to the choir, forgetting that it doesn't always come out the way it was intended.

So sorry if I offended anyone.

I had a high metabolism much of my life and ate all the bad stuff I mentioned in very large quantities. I could down a whole pound of chocolate in a sitting and still lose weight in the summer. And I worked hard each winter to gain weight in preparation for summer's activity.

Now I am still thinner than most people, my age and otherwise, but my health is pretty messed up and only controlled by "lifestyle." So I am speaking from my own experience and journey, and also, I teach this stuff now and set up programs in doctor's offices, so I meet a lot of people who are clueless and unhealthy and if cooperative, make major impacts on their health in less than three months. Very satisfying work.

OK, gotta go finish my supper of leftover pork with farmerlor's cream of mushroom soup.....which I made with.....um...er....white flour! :hide

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
FM--what's your education? You seem to know alot about nutrition etc. Not meaning to highjack a thread--but--from your knowledge base--do you know anything about B-12 deficiency and wheat products? For the sake of not hijacking--you can pm me- I heard this in passing the other day-- and am curious about this as I am b-12 deficient.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been in touch with several people over the past year who have greatly improved their diabetes and no longer take medication.

According to this page even some juvenile onset will respond to mms.

MMS may be able to do it for you. It seems to work on half the cases. you may want to read this page from the developer of MMS. Not a lot of detail here but you will get a sense of it. He is not a health professional and this is definitely underground stuff that no doctor and only a few naturopaths are aware of.. I have used it and seen it do some amazing things...hence, it is part of my survival stock pile. Even my kids will use it...and they give it to their friends, and let me tell you, THAT IS AMAZING!

http://mmsadvisor.com/?cat=22

there are mms conversations going on at this forum
www.natmedtalk.com

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Personally, I think sometimes you don't really get a choice so it can't really be deemed a lifestyle choice. My three year old got diabetes.
In the case of your 3 year old, you are talking type 1...correct? I was addressing type 2, which can be traced to lifestyle in most cases.

my dh, my sis, his sis and I all ate and drank that stuff growing up, and none of us are obese.
Some people smoke like a chimney and live to be 100. Others get emphazema in their 50's or end up dead from lung cancer. It is the interplay between genes and diet that decides the outcome.

Some people will not get fat despite a diet high in sugars. Others will. Some stay skinny but develop cancer or heart disease. I know a few thin people who appear to be healthy who, in their 40's and 50's, have already had heart attacks.

Moderation is key to everything in life.
Moderation is a great idea in people who do not have a damaged metabolic system. Here is an interesting story about the effect fructose can have on appetite control centers in the brain.
http://www.elements4health.com/fruc...brain-increases-appetite-and-food-intake.html

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
And I suspect that the Hepatitis B vaccine may be edging along the rise in the amount of diabetes we see today.

Clausen Labs, an independent research lab, also involved in the development of vaccines tried very hard to keep this vaccine away from infants and small children. I read their reports years ago. Can't find that report anymore. They have been effectively shut up.

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Personally, I think sometimes you don't really get a choice so it can't really be deemed a lifestyle choice. My three year old got diabetes.
In the case of your 3 year old, you are talking type 1...correct? I was addressing type 2, which can be traced to lifestyle in most cases.

my dh, my sis, his sis and I all ate and drank that stuff growing up, and none of us are obese.
Some people smoke like a chimney and live to be 100. Others get emphazema in their 50's or end up dead from lung cancer. It is the interplay between genes and diet that decides the outcome.

Some people will not get fat despite a diet high in sugars. Others will. Some stay skinny but develop cancer or heart disease. I know a few thin people who appear to be healthy who, in their 40's and 50's who have already had heart attacks.

Moderation is key to everything in life.
Moderation is a great idea in people who do not have a damaged metabolic system. Here is an interesting story about the effect fructose can have on appetite control centers in the brain.
http://www.elements4health.com/fruc...brain-increases-appetite-and-food-intake.html
so many people are "experts" and know everything about curing diabetes, low carb diets, red dye, Splenda, sugar, why everyone is over weight, what everyone should eat, what no one should eat. And their opinion is the only one that makes sense. As soon as you ask a nutrition question you get bombarded with what your doing wrong even if thats what you didnt ask. Im sorry to be so harsh but its how I feel.

If you want info on how to control Diabetes talk to your Dr, go see a Diabetic Nutritionist and put carbs and proteins in their proper places in your diet. I currently take pills for my diabetes but plan on asking my Dr to go back on insulin because I found it easier to control my sugars that way. Insulin will last if simply kept in a cool place. Diet and exercise will help cut back on the amount you need to take.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Personally I like to hear input from a wide variety of folks and learn what they have come to know through their experience.

People are welcome to keep at their insulin. Some others have found ways out. Some people are not interested in finding a way out or even considering the possibility and that is fine. To each their own.
Some folks around here just don't think a whole lot of our current state of medicine and they want to discuss it and share what they know.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
ams, I didn't plan on learning about this topic, but after ballooning up to 280lbs and developing high blood pressure while trying to cut fat, cut calories, eat vegetarian, and exercise like crazy, I knew something was SERIOUSLY wrong with the information I was getting.

I also watched relative after relative DIE of heart disease, diabetes complications, alzheimers, and stroke while under a doctor's care and getting prescription after prescription.

I studied nutrition, metabolism and recently, the ENTIRE history of diet and weight loss recommendation, where they came from and how the advice we are given today developed TO SAVE MY OWN LIFE. Believe me, I would have rather been reading sci-fi novels than about glucose metabolism, insulin, the Dupont executive study, the results of the Alert Bay First People's diet experiment, and the dietary history of the Pima Indians and the Tokelau Atoll natives.

4 years ago I was 280lbs. 2 Years ago I was 240 and still had high blood pressure (149/95). Now I weight 207 and my bp runs around 101/62. I am 6' tall and my goal weight is 190. I have been fighting with my weight since I was 16. I am now 45 and for the first time in my life I am not constantly hungry, my weight isn't climbing, and my head isn't about to explode. I just might know a thing or two about weight loss and diseases associated with it.

But, by all means. Do not take my word for anything. Research. Ask questions (starting with "if all the advice drs currently give is so great, why are more and more people becoming obese and diabetic?"). Want the word of an MD of this? Here are some great places to start...

http://www.carbwire.com/2007/04/03/talking_diabetes_with_dr_richard_bernstein
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/uncategorized/double-diabetes/
http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20060616/do-low-carb-diets-help-diabetes?src=rss_foxnews
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/03/050326095632.htm
http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/jul/20/area_physician_diabetes_expert_extols_new_lowcarb_/

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Oh, and to answer why I feel the need to chime in on this subject. Well, imagine you are watching someone mixing chemicals. They are about dump water in to some acid. You know from experience what will happen because they are doing it backwards....

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, my DH was diagnosed with type 1 when he was 29. Only type 2 runs in his family. He is the only one with type 1.

We discussed this several times and he brought up that his grandfather had type 2 and then suddenly he didn't have it anymore after they changed his diet totally and completely. Basically, after having type 2 diabetes for almost 10 years, his body healed.

I agree that genetics will give you the predisposition for certain diseases. I also agree that your lifestyle will help determine which diseases you will develop. To me, it's the old debate over environment vs genetics.

I truely believe that diet makes the difference.

I have never heard of mms and you can believe I'm reading up on it.

I have been paying much closer attention to the foods we eat, the things we do in general and how they will affect us and those around us, now and in the future.

As a side note, my mother suffered from obesity, chronic cluster migraines, and an assortment of other things. For years she saw dr after dr. And NONE of them could offer her any sort of relief - they were only able to offer pills with side effects. In frustration, she began exploring alternative medicine.

5 years later, she has her weight under control, and her migrains are totally GONE. Even her adult acne is gone-and she's been struggling with that since I was a child.

I ask that you don't close your mind to anything. Take everything with a grain of salt and do your own research.
I freely admit I thought mom was off her rocker when she first started "doing the alternative thing". Incredulous would be more the word, but I can't argue with results like that.

I'm reading, reading, reading.