diabetes

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
As long as the discussion stays polite, I enjoy all the opinions. I research those that catch my interest. Isn't that the point of an online forum? ;)

miss_thenorth, my computer has been cranky, I will pm you this weekend! I have a bunch of appointments today and like to spend time on personal replies.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ams3651 said:
Wifezilla said:
Personally, I think sometimes you don't really get a choice so it can't really be deemed a lifestyle choice. My three year old got diabetes.
In the case of your 3 year old, you are talking type 1...correct? I was addressing type 2, which can be traced to lifestyle in most cases.

my dh, my sis, his sis and I all ate and drank that stuff growing up, and none of us are obese.
Some people smoke like a chimney and live to be 100. Others get emphazema in their 50's or end up dead from lung cancer. It is the interplay between genes and diet that decides the outcome.

Some people will not get fat despite a diet high in sugars. Others will. Some stay skinny but develop cancer or heart disease. I know a few thin people who appear to be healthy who, in their 40's and 50's who have already had heart attacks.

Moderation is key to everything in life.
Moderation is a great idea in people who do not have a damaged metabolic system. Here is an interesting story about the effect fructose can have on appetite control centers in the brain.
http://www.elements4health.com/fruc...brain-increases-appetite-and-food-intake.html
so many people are "experts" and know everything about curing diabetes, low carb diets, red dye, Splenda, sugar, why everyone is over weight, what everyone should eat, what no one should eat. And their opinion is the only one that makes sense. As soon as you ask a nutrition question you get bombarded with what your doing wrong even if thats what you didnt ask. Im sorry to be so harsh but its how I feel.

If you want info on how to control Diabetes talk to your Dr, go see a Diabetic Nutritionist and put carbs and proteins in their proper places in your diet. I currently take pills for my diabetes but plan on asking my Dr to go back on insulin because I found it easier to control my sugars that way. Insulin will last if simply kept in a cool place. Diet and exercise will help cut back on the amount you need to take.
I agree with your post!

and edited to say, you sure don't need to say you are sorry about your tone at all, I don't believe it was harsh at all....just your feelings on the subject.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Moderation is key to everything in life.

Moderation is a great idea in people who do not have a damaged metabolic system. Here is an interesting story about the effect fructose can have on appetite control centers in the brain.
http://www.elements4health.com/fructose ntake.html

Last edited by Wifezilla (04/09/2009 11:03 pm)

I understand what you are saying.....BUT --Moderation on a personal and individual level of course. I think most people understand that moderation to everything in life is based on their sole personal needs in this lifetime.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
And look at this about mercury. Seems they put corn syrup in tons of things...so aside from promoting diabetes it can cause other problems too.

Studies find mercury in much U.S. corn syrup
Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:15pm GMT

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Many common foods made using commercial high fructose corn syrup contain mercury as well, researchers reported on Tuesday, while another study suggested the corn syrup itself is contaminated.

Food processors and the corn syrup industry group attacked the findings as flawed and outdated, but the researchers said it was important for people to know about any potential sources of the toxic metal in their food.

In one study, published in the journal Environmental Health, former Food and Drug Administration scientist Renee Dufault and colleagues tested 20 samples of high fructose corn syrup and found detectable mercury in nine of the 20 samples.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUKTRE50Q5IA20090127

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In reading up on iodine supplementation I came across this and thought of you. Here are a couple of paragraphs out of the article.
http://www.optimox.com/pics/Iodine/IOD-10/IOD_10.htm

It was while treating a large 320-pound woman with insulin dependent diabetes that we learned a valuable lesson regarding the role of iodine in hormone receptor function. This woman had come in via the emergency room with a very high random blood sugar of 1,380 mg/dl. She was then started on insulin during her hospitalization and was instructed on the use of a home glucometer. She was to use her glucometer two times per day. Two weeks later on her return office visit for a checkup of her insulin dependent diabetes she was informed that during her hospital physical examination she was noted to have FBD. She was recommended to start on 50 mg ofiodine(4 tablets) at that time. One week later she called us requesting to lower the level of insulin due to having problems with hypoglycemia. She was told to continue to drop her insulin levels as long as she was experiencing hypoglycemia and to monitor her blood sugars carefully with her glucometer. Four weeks later during an office visit her glucometer was downloaded to my office computer, which showed her to have an average random blood sugar of 98. I praised the patient for her diligent efforts to control her diet and her good work at keeping her sugars under control with the insulin. She then informed me that she had come off her insulin three weeks earlier and had not been taking any medications to lower her blood sugar. When asked what she felt the big change was, she felt that her diabetes was under better control due to the use of iodine. Two years later and 70 pounds lighter this patient continues to have excellent glucose control on iodine 50 mg per day. We since have done a study of twelve diabetics and in six cases we were able to wean all of these patients off of medications for their diabetes and were able to maintain a hemoglobin A1C of less than 5.8 with the average random blood sugar of less than 100. To this date these patients continue to have excellent control of their Type II diabetes. The range of daily iodine intake was from 50 mg to 100 mg per day. All diabetic patients were able to lower the total amount of medications necessary to control their diabetes. Two of the twelve patients were controlled with the use of iodine plus one medication. Two patients have control of diabetes with iodine plus two medications. One patient had control of her diabetes with three medications plus iodine 50 mg. The one insulin dependent diabetic was able to reduce the intake of Lantus insulin from 98 units to 44 units per day within a period of a few weeks.

In the Type 1 diabetics that we have been following we have noted that if C-peptide is measurable, this would suggest that the individual is making their own insulin. I have been able to help this group of patients to get off insulin or to greatly reduce the amount they need for good glucose control with Iodoral at 4 tablets/day (50 mg). If C-peptide is absent then we feel there is no insulin being produced and we have not been able to help this particular group of patients to get off their insulin. We have been able to help these patients lower the total amount of insulin needed to control their glucose.