Different Strokes for Different Folks - What weird food do you like?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm not opposed to a quality fruitcake - especially with a nice 'fortified' coffee, lol. My mom used to make fruitcake cookies. Pretty tasty!

Chicken feet - I've always given 'em to the dogs - even though I know I should make stock out of 'em. Eh - dogs deserve treats too! However, some years back some of my Hispanic students worked for me for extra money. They were here once when I butchered chickens and asked if they could take the feet home because their mom loved 'em. Of course they could! (and they got a couple chickens too)

If I were starving I'd probably eat snake - but other than that I dunno. I guess I'd taste it if somebody else did the cleaning and cooking. ;)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I’ve cooked snake several times. It’s hard to get the snake stink off my hands.
We had lunch with some friends last month. Some of their friends called, they were in from Nashville so of course they were invited too. One of them made a crack about Texans eating armadillo and I said I had. She was stunned-“shut up!” Not only that, I shot’em and shucked ‘em out of their shell. Takes both hands and both feet in case you ever need to know that.
As BBQ they taste a lot like pork, pretty good actually.

Feral hogs might be a weird food to some, but it’s pretty normal here.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Looks like potato chips make everything better, lol. Never would have thought to use them with baked beans but it doesn't sound terrible, lol. I've been known to put potato chips in a meat loaf and I remember (decades ago) using crushed potato chips as breading for fried chicken. I no longer fry chicken!

I've haven't made oxtail soup but I ate it at a soul food restaurant that we took our students to several years ago. It was delish!

Earlier this week I made some kick butt chicken/mushroom soup and DH gave me the "you've lost your mind" look when I tossed a handful of pistachio nuts in my bowl. It was good!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes, on fried grits here. :drool. Same with extra mashed potatoes...fried patties. Biscuits and gravy were often to use yesterdays left. Dressing can be patties and fried nicely.

You know people couldn't waste food way back. There was money, availability and often transportation concerns. One car, if any, was norm.

Ok, now I'm salivating.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sauerkraut balls, my inlaws from the south think the tasty treats are gross

Holy Cow - Yep - they sound weird, lol. But, after looking up a recipe, I think sauerkraut balls sound tasty!

Scrumptious Sauerkraut Balls Recipe | Allrecipes

What doesn't sound delicious about that? I'm thinking these could be made a little lower in carbs...maybe almond flour instead of flour and perhaps crushed pork skins for the bread crumbs. Maybe bake instead of fry. Sounds do-able.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sauerkraut balls, my inlaws from the south think the tasty treats are gross

reminds me of saurkraut on pizza. yes, it's great with sausage of various kinds. :) restaurant may not do it because it stinks up the entire place, but it was always worth it. maybe not for the other people...

oh, yes, when i was making bread a lot and had a bread machine to do the kneading and rises for me, i would experiment. saurkraut went well in any of the rye or pumpernickle breads.