Different Strokes for Different Folks - What weird food do you like?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After reading through several threads lately and noticing different food choices I thought it might be fun to share some of our weird tastes.

For instance, I grew up never knowing that peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches were considered odd by some folks. They're actually pretty darn good, lol.

Oh - and bean dip, mayonnaise, onion and potato chip sandwiches are pretty good too.

My sister loved mayonnaise, mustard, pickles and lettuce sandwiches.

Any others?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I enjoy most organ meats- except kidneys (couldn't get around the slight tang of urea or whatever that taste is).
I have eaten cuy (guinea pig)... it's not bad as Shake N Bake or BBQ although a little on the greasy side.
My mother was French, and we never had any kind of pepper in our meals; not black pepper, not bell peppers, and certainly not chilies. I was 18 when I tasted my first taco and said "where have you been all my life?"

Most people are horrified by the thought of someone eating horse or donkey; but that's what they were originally domesticated for. I've never had either, but I'm not averse to trying it. I am a lot more upset at the idea of people eating dogs- who were always hunting companions and may even be partly responsible for humans achieving the first steps toward civilization.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't be against to eating horse meat. I am not against horse slaughter. I AM against shipping them to Mexico where the slaughter is highly unregulated. I wish they would bring it back to the states and conduct it in a more humane manner. Regardless, no old senior of mine will ever go to a sale barn. They served me well, they get to retire and live out their lives.......unless SHTF then they might start looking mighty good...... BWA-HA-HA-HA!!!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i don't really think i do all that weird of foods here. Mom is not very adventurous and i'm not cooking as much as compared to when i lived alone. still Mom does think i eat strange stuff at times. most recently i had some cooked squash and put taco meat on top of that and it was delcious. not really that odd to me though.

raw spinach, munster cheese, raisins and olive oil on a good multi-grain bread used to be a regular sandwhich for me, but i've not made one of those in years now.

cream cheese rollups here like that were any kind of sliced meats and could have the center with green onion, pickles, cucumber, hot peppers, etc as long as you had a sharp enough knife to cut in sections but we normally just left them whole so they could be picked up and eaten without the middles falling out.

at one time i thought swiss chard, smoked brie and ham wrapped in pastry dough and baked was strange, but it sure was delicious. :)

there was a a fillipino dish that had blood as the main ingredient that my friend's wife made once in a while. i never came to like that and i tried eating it several times to get past it, but i don't really like liver flavors to be super strong. i only like a certain kind of braunschweiger and that is only because they put more pork meat in it and it isn't as slimy and the aftertaste is not there at all. Mom mistakenly bought another kind of braunschweiger and while i could barely eat it i did, but i said please don't ever buy that again. it was just ick to me.

peanut butter and mayo with a slice of onion sandwhich is a lot like liver in flavor. no, i'm not a fan of that one either, but i did try it.

while i may not be super-adventurous i do like going to a new place and having dim sum to see what i might like the best. sometimes i don't like certain things but others will eat them so they're not wasted. i just have to make sure to take small bites cutting it with a knife so that i'm not wasting the rest of it if i don't like it. i already know i don't like most anything that has strong fish flavor so fish eggs and items wrapped in seaweed are not likely to be eaten by me. i also like some nice slabs of tuna or salmon sashimi and a few others but that's about it for that. seviche is also really good if done right. i can really enjoy that.

if you like green onions try green garlic sometime. :) some years i grow extra garlic (planted deeper than normal) to harvest as green garlic. i did plant some extra this past fall too so this year i am already having fun being patient for spring and early summer when i can dig it up and eat it.

and speaking of garlic, sweet and sour garlic relish goes well on or in a lot of dishes. all i do to make it is grind up garlic in the meat grinder and then cook it a little with some brown sugar and red pepper flakes and then towards the end add apple cider vinegar to get the right balance with the sugar. then i process it to put it up. lasts for years in the jars. it was what i used to do when i had a lot of extra garlic, but i've not had that much garlic in several years now. sure made the house smell good. :)

um, well, sorry, not that strange i guess... :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Don't know how I missed this one yesterday. Just plain ol' green briars? @baymule needs to hear about this one! I do have some green briars way out on the back fence that I occasionally battle with because they want to climb on the electric fence. It would be poetic justice to get my revenge by eating 'em, lol!

Yikes! Ok I'll try that one, but, ahem, not looking forward to it! :lol:

I like salty and sweet together, like pretzels and ice cream, salted caramel, and salt on several fruits. (watermelon, oranges, apples...)
I snack on green briar tips, they are good. I've sauteed them with butter and garlic too, they taste close to asparagus.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Rattlesnake just was too bony for my liking. Frog legs are ok. I try everything at least once.

Chicken feet I just don't understand anymore than I understand pigs feet. It's all just mostly cartilage and such. I have tried both. I'd rather keep the chicken feet for stock. If I can ever find cow feet, I have a recipe from an old cookbook for cow's foot jelly I want to try.

I take all bones from the butcher for stock use. I have cooked marrow bones for eating, though. I have some antique marrow spoons.