Different Strokes for Different Folks - What weird food do you like?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well friends back when we lived in Virginia Beach thought the oxtail soup I'd make was weird. Hubby loved it when he tried it and requests it now.

How about this hors d'oeuvre. Take the large rectangular ham lunch meat (we get the Kirkland stuff). After patting fully dry, spread it with a layer of cream cheese. Put a spear of pickled asparagus on one end and roll. Pin with toothpicks and cut into pieces.

Salmon jerky/candy. Most of the people I know that aren't from over here think it's weird. It's very popular here.

Seafood pizza. There was a place in I think Lincoln City, Oregon that made really good ones. There was smoked oysters, clams, crab, and smoked salmon on it. We'd always stop for one every year when we went on vacation as I grew up. Parents took hubby and me there in the early 2000s. Hubby hadn't ever had oysters. He apparently doesn't like oysters.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Great Grandma made that oxtail soup. It might be a Swiss recipe. I don't remember who first got the hors d'oeuvre recipe, but most of the family have been making them since the mid 90s. I'm trying to think of other things that are thought odd.

Mom thinks I'm weird for drinking Kefir and Kombucha.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Hinotori - gotta admit that when I saw salmon jerky candy I thought "blech." But, I looked up a recipe. Dang! That sounds good!

Salmon Candy Recipe [Smoked Salmon Jerky]- Barbecuebible.com

Is this similar to what you're talking about? I might really have to give it a go.

Yes. Many recipes have spices like pepper or cloves. It's dehydrated like any jerky to be shelf stable. Costco even gets in commercially made bags of it occasionally.

The smoked salmon I do is similar in flavor but smoked at a higher temp and meant for use as a dip or for hors d'oeuvres. Our smoked salmon is cooked (150°) here and not like lox. I don't know if humans can get salmon fever, but dogs can and it's an issue because of the snails local salmon eat.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Salmon fever doesn't sound like fun at all.... glad that you're cautious. I'm going to try that recipe at some point.

I thought of another one when I was shopping today. Not sure if it's weird - or just a southern thing. Anybody ever had fried grits? My mom used to make them from leftover grits that she would slice up and fry in butter. Really tasty with syrup or sugar and cinnamon.

Geeze - I need to stop thinking about all these carb-y treats!

at one time i thought swiss chard, smoked brie and ham wrapped in pastry dough and baked was strange, but it sure was delicious. :)
That sounds delicious! I just happened to have tossed a wheel of brie into my cart today, lol.

I really need to try the garlic greens - sounds awesome.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Green briar/ saw briar tips sautéed in butter always get a funny look when I serve them . Then they taste them and wonder why they have fought them all their life.
Don't know how I missed this one yesterday. Just plain ol' green briars? @baymule needs to hear about this one! I do have some green briars way out on the back fence that I occasionally battle with because they want to climb on the electric fence. It would be poetic justice to get my revenge by eating 'em, lol!

i forgot about mustard and strawberries. :)
Yikes! Ok I'll try that one, but, ahem, not looking forward to it! :lol:

I like salty and sweet together, like pretzels and ice cream, salted caramel, and salt on several fruits. (watermelon, oranges, apples...)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
strawberry jam and mustard make the start of a good bbq sauce. :) that is if you like mustard and strawberries to begin with. :) i wouldn't go straight fresh strawberries and mustard on the first try for this combination. don't want to shock the monkey.

i wanted something crunchy last night after my main part of the evening meal so i made up some mustard honey pretzels with a bit of hot sauce and mushroom flavored soy sauce. we have a large bag of old pretzels that need to be eaten up so i can have some of those to get rid of them but i have to use them as my main carbs for the meal.