Dipence71- Picked up whole processed hog!!! Homemade porkyburger mmmm

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
Decided to give the new ?'s a go lol!!!!

1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like? Illinois / depends on the day it changes all the time lol month ago flooded, no real rain since but major heat wave
2. How many people are in your family? Marital status? dd13 and dd19 me and hubby - 4 total
3. How would you define self sufficiency? Mostly I think it means being able to do for yourself with what you have and what you can do to help yourself and your community
4. What would you do with your spare time if you had any resources you needed? grow more, raise more animals do all I can to be more SS
5. Have you ever built a house , or other types of building? Do you want to? house - no, but helped with shed, chicken coop, rabbit hutch, nesting boxes, ect, would love to build my own home but probably too big of a project for me lol
6. Can you weld? Steel, aluminum, MiG, TiG, stick, Oxy-Acet? no
7. Who or what inspired you to become more self sufficient? others on this and BYC forum. tired of not knowing what is in the food I feed my family and myself
8 Cloth or paper? Both trying to do less and less paper but tired of beating myself up about it and just doing my best at it
9. In what ways are you self sufficient now and in what ways would you like to learn more? I garden, can, dehydrate, butcher some meats. I also work FT so can't do as much as I would like but, working on a little more balance with my time and doing more. would like to learn more about and learn- better sewing skills, better at raising food, more practice canning, make cheese, wine and fermented foods, make herbal medicines, make and use a root cellar, greenhouse, house, and animal shelters, beekeeping, animal care, make soap, and so much more kinda stole some of dragonlaurel's idea's but she is so right
10. In what way(s) will you never choose to become self sufficient? not sure
11. Are you interested in stocking up for future needs? Definitely and am trying
12. Where do you end up when you sink into yourself, away from the outside world? A good move, show or book such as The Waltons, Twighlight, yes I am a freak
13. Can you drive a farm tractor or a semi? maybe a tractor with some instruction, but not comfortable doing so, but hard to tell what I will do if it becomes necessary :hide
14. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these? have to think on that one
15. Can you have legally livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds? yes, yes, and rabbits and chickens but hoping for some goats for milk and meat when, not if, but when I talk DH into it. I have DD13 on board now that she saw how much she can make on her efforts to raise meat rabbits and sell them at the 4-h fair. Now she wants to raise everything!!! I have created a monster LMBO
16. Can you operate a lathe? Metal, wood? NO
17. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing? absolutely LOVE and HATE to, hate when I see how much needs done that I can't get to but LOVE playing in the dirt and harvesting what I grew. And especially when I pop open a can of home canned sweet corn in the middle or winter. :drool
18. Do you fish? Bait or explosives? Yes, bait
19. How much space/land do you have or rent? City? Country? not sure exactly but enough for a huge garden, chickens, rabbits, a few fruit trees, grape vines, and a pretty good size yard. It is actually my FIL land and he farms full time so We are pretty lucky. Out in the country.
20. Are you a Novice, Technician, General, Advanced? ARRL? Whattt, not sure what that means???21. What is your self sufficient specialty? Or what one would you
like to learn? Not sure I have a specialty, but would love to learn to make cheese, yogurt, wine,....ect ect
22. If you could create a degree and curriculum, what would you major in and what classes would you take?so many how do I choose
23. Do you do wood work? framing, finish, cabinet? no
24. Are you interested in herbal medicine?yes very much, don't know allot but trying to learn
25. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be? close to a beach, I LOVE sitting on the beach listening to the waves hit the beach
26. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking? Wood stove for heat
27. What would your ideal super hero/villain be? no idea
28. Are your family or friends also interested in self sufficiency?NO, they think I am nuts :gig lol, but have admitted if something ever happens they are coming to my
house, I told them they better bring their work gloves!!!

29. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? raw milk? farm fresh eggs? I love to cook but hate to clean up lol. trying to incorporate more
natural food into our diet. Have never had raw milk :hide, but have had fresh eggs for a few years since getting my chickens, starting to butcher own meats(chicken pig deer) would like to do more eventually, still trying to talk DH into a milk goat

30. What was your MOS? What is MOS?
31. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs? DH hunts
32. What skills do you have to help make you more sufficient? willingness to learn and grow
33. In which fictional universe would you most like to live? a combination of Little House on the Prairie and The Walton's, or Twilight, one extreme to another, weird I know but that's just me.
34. Do you have solar panels? Plans to use solar energy? no would like to look into it
35 What is the mass/weight ratio of a European swallow carrying a coconut from the tropics to England? Do what?
36. Have you ever lived completely off grid? Would you like to?no, someday
37. In what do you trust? God and self
38. Do you make things yourself to save money?Yes I have been semi forced into doing allot of MYO stuff like sloppy joe seasoning, taco seasoning, cream of ___ soup, due to being unable to eat anything with Gluten due to Celiacs Diease
39. Has trying to be more self-sufficient changed your attitude or habits about money/spending? Yes but still struggling and learning

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
This week is band camp from 8-2 for DD13 so I will be running back and forth to town aahhgggg...... So much gas, but gotta do what ya gotta do and she loves band. She is in marching, pep, concert, jazz,ect
I remember when band camp was actually camp. Parents dropped us off at camp Monday and came and got us Thursday, those were the days...

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
Just got two 3 hole hutches and one 2 hole hutch with 13 nest boxes/ several bowls and a bunch of feeders, ect. 1 of the 3 hole and 1 of the 2 hole have the tilted dropping trays that drop into a holding "pan". :celebrate
Cages are all "bought from feed store cages but the "hutch" was made around them with wood and stainless steel and tin with a steel conduit pipe through the top to "hang" them. Way heavy and way worth more than the $200 I got it for. Guy's kids did rabbits and lost all interest so he just wanted them all gone!!
also got a carry cage. and some odd ball cages that need allot of work.(or gone lol)

DD 13 is picking up 2 doe and 1 buck (Californians) tomorrow for $50. She is expanding more into the rabbit business lol. :bun :bun
:th I have created a "back yard addict" and I think that is a GOOD thing LOL. :love

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
Wow just went to Bowling Green MO and picked up a whole processed hog!!!! Woooo hooo
Now going to Springfield IL to Shoe Carnival and get Monical's gluten free pizza

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hooray for the hog! Glad to hear you're getting some yummy piggy.

Latest posts