Dish soap in the kitchen

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I learned this from my mom and it does save a lot.

We pour liquid dish soap into a small spray bottle about 3/4 full and then fill the rest of the bottle with water.(then shake it well)

Instead of squeezing the large bottle each time, we spray once or twice. That's usually enough.

We also water down our pumps in the bathroom a little too. Its not that noticable, but it makes a difference. My nieces and nephew LOVE to pump LOTS of soap every time they wash their hands!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
At the dollare store, they have these hand soap foam dispensers. it has a foaming mechanism in it that makes the soap come out as foam. I bought a few of these, laundry room, all three bathrooms, kitchen, and the tap outside. When they are empty, you fill it up 1/8 with soap, the rest with water. Really stretches out the soap, and water, really. Pump a bunch on your hands scrub, and then turn on the tap and rinse off. We truck in our won water, so we try to conserve that, also.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey north
I tried refilling those foam pump dispensers and it didn't work like foam for me when dispensing...it was a mess...LOL...so I went back to the regular pump.
and yes, my 3 year old if not watched can go thru an entire pump in a minute..HA HA
so much fun to pump! HA HA

did you do anything special or use special stuff in it??? just wondering

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
hey north
I tried refilling those foam pump dispensers and it didn't work like foam for me when dispensing...it was a mess...LOL...so I went back to the regular pump.
and yes, my 3 year old if not watched can go thru an entire pump in a minute..HA HA
so much fun to pump! HA HA

did you do anything special or use special stuff in it??? just wondering
Lately, I have been using dishwashing liquid, but have used liquid hand soap in the past. You have to work with the ratio of soap:water, but its about 1:8 to 1:6. Then shake to mix.

Works for us :)

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Do you ever want to kick yourself for the stupid stuff you spend money on?

For a while, I'd been looking for a heavy pump bottle--heavy enough so that it wouldn't fall over into the sink all of the time--to put dish soap in. I have decripit old hands & it's hard for me to squeeze a bottle of dish soap.

A couple of years ago, I finally found a pump bottle I liked at Home Depot. I paid TEN DOLLARS for it. It is really cool looking. The top half is glass and the bottom half and pump part are chrome. It's heavy and doesn't try to tip over into the sink every time I pump it.

But I can't believe I could have been spraying it out of a spray bottle!! I could kick myself!

Cassandra

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Cassandra, I think my mom has the same one you do! Sounds like it, and that's how much she paid too! Looks cool, works great too!

I've used the foam ones for a few years (got one from tupperware awhile back) but they got lost in one of the moves. I bought some Dial brand foaming dispenser and started refilling it.

This is what I've done for the past two weeks.

Sit the big jug of soap refill on the counter in the bathroom and tell the kids to fend for themselves! :D

I'm serious! They go through so much soap! (even w/ the foam dispenser) and then the 2yo EVERYtime she washes her hands she dumps the whole thing out. So i've just given up. DH said just yesterday.. "aren't you going to do anything about the soap in the bathroom" ummm.. NOPE! Even if I stick a bar of soap in there... they just play w/ it and smush it into a soapy sloppy nothingness within a couple days. Well, my son w/ autism is the one who does that b/c he likes the way it feels.

I give up on soap! :th

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
heatherv said:
Cassandra, I think my mom has the same one you do! Sounds like it, and that's how much she paid too! Looks cool, works great too!

I've used the foam ones for a few years (got one from tupperware awhile back) but they got lost in one of the moves. I bought some Dial brand foaming dispenser and started refilling it.

This is what I've done for the past two weeks.

Sit the big jug of soap refill on the counter in the bathroom and tell the kids to fend for themselves! :D

I'm serious! They go through so much soap! (even w/ the foam dispenser) and then the 2yo EVERYtime she washes her hands she dumps the whole thing out. So i've just given up. DH said just yesterday.. "aren't you going to do anything about the soap in the bathroom" ummm.. NOPE! Even if I stick a bar of soap in there... they just play w/ it and smush it into a soapy sloppy nothingness within a couple days. Well, my son w/ autism is the one who does that b/c he likes the way it feels.

I give up on soap! :th
All I can say is be thankful they USE soap!! When we lived in the subdivision (said with a really nasty tone b/c I hated it), our neighbour kids would come over tho play and their hands were always grubby.

And our walls must have been magnets to their grubby little hands. Since I do not like to wash walls, I always asked them to wash their hands when they came in. (my kids did as well) Well, I always use white towels in the bathroom, and found the towels were always dirty when they came over. so I asked if they were using soap. Well, the answer was NO. To top it off my kids told me they didn't even have soap in their bathroom at home. :barnie

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I buy the jumbo bottles of antibacterial hand soap from Family Dollar and refill my body wash bottle in the shower with it. Also refill the foam hand wash bottle. Its $3 for almost 2 liters of soap. Lasts us a long time. When you dilute it for the foam dispenser, it saves so much soap! Encourages my boys to wash, also, as they like the foam. :lol:

I also buy the very large bottles of dish detergent at FD and fill a small one to keep on the sink. Easier to dispense/squeeze and seems to last longer. I also keep a small pint container of bleach on the sink and add it to the dish water. We've always done this and it seems to keep us from getting all the intestinal bugs that run through some families several times a year.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I buy the jumbo bottles of antibacterial hand soap from Family Dollar and refill my body wash bottle in the shower with it. Also refill the foam hand wash bottle. Its $3 for almost 2 liters of soap. Lasts us a long time. When you dilute it for the foam dispenser, it saves so much soap! Encourages my boys to wash, also, as they like the foam. :lol:

I also buy the very large bottles of dish detergent at FD and fill a small one to keep on the sink. Easier to dispense/squeeze and seems to last longer. I also keep a small pint container of bleach on the sink and add it to the dish water. We've always done this and it seems to keep us from getting all the intestinal bugs that run through some families several times a year.
Just me, but I stay from all the antibacterial stuff they have out there. I used to add bleach when the kids were little, but me and bleach don't really get along, and I prefer to keep the skin ON my hands ;), so i don't use it 'cept in the laundry for the whites.

Latest posts