Dish soap in the kitchen

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't use the antibacterial on purpose, its just hard to find the jumbo size in anything but! As for bleach, it is pretty dilute and doesn't cause any skin burns for us. A dollop generally does it!

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I don't use the antibacterial on purpose, its just hard to find the jumbo size in anything but! !
I've finally found some. I agree it is hard to find most places. Kmart has their brand "American Fare" of a milk and honey handsoap. It's a jug (not gallon size though) and it is not antibacterial.

HTH!

Miss The North...
And yes, I'm thrilled that my kids do wash their hands... the 8yio is a little OCD about it, and makes SURE the younger ones wash their hands after EVERYthing. (esp. touching the chickens and reptiles)

I do not miss the subdivision days of grubby hands either! said w/ the same exact nasty tone as yours! We lived next door to the "mayor" and the other side of our house was the "sheriff" (of the neighborhood that is) That's what they were known as! So needless to say we were surrounded by the jerks. Of course their children were all grown and moved out, and PERFECT!!! :eek: nope, don't miss those days at all!

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love the foam soap dispensors. We have them in the bathroom and the kitchen. Seems to save a ton!!

Beekissed- about how much bleach do you add to the dish water? Working at the school and with three boys in school it seems I am always fighting some type of bug in the house.

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Nuggetsowner:) said:
Beekissed- about how much bleach do you add to the dish water? Working at the school and with three boys in school it seems I am always fighting some type of bug in the house.
I'm not beekissed, but http://nrc.uchsc.edu/CFOC/HTMLVersion/Appendix_I.htmlhere's a link for bleach solution.

There are different opinions on how much is effective. When I do childcare classes for licensing they said a teaspoon and a half (or something real minute like that) per gallon. I don't remember exactly, but it was hardly any. I always use more! The link above I believe says 1/4 c per gallon. Other sites say 1.5 cups per gallon. (for certain viruses) so maybe it just depends on what you're tryin' to kill? When i used to use it in dish water I'd just put a capful into the sink. I washed them first, then put them in a bleach/water solution to rinse them, though I let them sit in it for a few minutes. I use a dishwasher now for dishes that come into contact w/ mouths, when we're sick, I make sure they get hot temps in there, and heated dry. I also run our toothbrushes through there. Viruses spread so quickly amongst us, I try to keep them from spreading too fast, so I have time to keep up w/ each kid.

HTH

eta... you also need to let the bleach solution sit on the dishes for a certain amount of time for it to be effective.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
krjwaj said:
I learned this from my mom and it does save a lot.

We pour liquid dish soap into a small spray bottle about 3/4 full and then fill the rest of the bottle with water.(then shake it well)

Instead of squeezing the large bottle each time, we spray once or twice. That's usually enough.

We also water down our pumps in the bathroom a little too. Its not that noticable, but it makes a difference. My nieces and nephew LOVE to pump LOTS of soap every time they wash their hands!
great, thanks!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't know if its the healthy food we eat, the fresh water, the fresh air, or bleaching of the dishes. I just know we haven't had colds and only one bout of intestinal flu for the last 10 years or so. That's pretty amazing, considering my kids have been in the public school system, and I'm a nurse and exposed to the very nastiest of germs. We don't wash our hands excessively, evidenced by the many black finger prints on my walls! :lol:

I've always turned down the offer of fingerprinting my kids at the schools and other places, as they can lift perfectly good prints right at my home! :D They can put a man on the moon but can they find out why boys have to touch every surface of your homes? Including the ceilings!? :hu :barnie

Usually, in the medical field, the bleach is mixed in a 10:1 ratio to kill germs. For my dishwater I just tip a dollop (not sure about the efficacy of this type of measurement :D ) into the water each time. My mom got me started on this and they haven't been sick for...well, going on 15 years now. Of course they are vegetarians of an extreme nature...no animal byproducts of any kind. Maybe a combination of good immune system health and preventative measures really pays off in medical costs?

Dixiedoodle

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
The key to refilling those foam pump bottles is not to over fill the bottle. It needs air in the bottle to produce the foam...

Beekissed: I used stand the :barnie over boys and fingerprints!! I thought I was through with having to wash everything --but now my dh holds our grands up to the ceiling for them to touch and kick--just like he did my kids! :he Dh is really tall and when he was in high school--his 'trick' was to stand flat footed -hop up and kick the ceiling tiles in the hallways and he showed our kids that he could still do it (many moons ago)!! So, for 36yrs. I have been cleaning the ceiling (as well as the walls) of hand and foot prints... :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Dixie, ever once in a while, I make them do it! Funny how they just can't SEE those marks, black as they may be!

So I just tell them, since you cannot see the marks, wash the whole wall just to make sure you get them! Suddenly...a light comes on in those melons and they are healed!!! They can SEE! I have performed many miracles of this nature, hence my superhero status listed in the "What do you do?" post... :cool: